• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Floppy Controller card jumper help please

KLund1

Veteran Member
Floppy Controller card jumper help please,
I must be off somehow, but I can't see how to jumper this 8-bit FD card for different drives; A=1.2mb,B=720K
suggestions please.
Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN4403.JPG
    DSCN4403.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 11
It's pretty straightforward. Let's take your example of A: 1.2M and B: 720K

1,2 = jumpers on for the first drive connected to CN2
3 = off, 4 = on for a second drive connected to CN2
5 and 6 would be for a third drive connected to CN1
7 and 8 would be for a fourth drive connected to CN1

I assume there are also jumpers for the BIOS EPROM. Without the EPROM, the jumpers don't mean anything.

holy crap that's the exact same longshine card (LCS-6815F) I just replaced the FDC chip on! At Chuck's suggestion I swapped the 80277AA with a PC8477BV-1 to get FM support working

the one I have was prior to today the only one I've ever seen

I have 5 of them, one I think is new. the 'seal' on the bag was not broken, and it had a little baggy of jumpers.
Now that I know how to set the jumpers I can test them for functionality.

Hold on here....
I am still not sure about these jumpers.
See pictures. I think I set A for 1.2MB, and B for 720Kb on the same cable. The others are off. But it shows A & B as 1.2Mb
Am I still missing something?

Attachments

• DSCN4405.JPG
    DSCN4405.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN4404.JPG
    DSCN4404.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 6
nope you have it set properly, the ROM does some type of auto detection beyond what the jumpers specify - do you have an actual 720kB drive hooked up as B: ?

I'm working on a 5162. I use the IBM Diagnostic Disk for AT's to set the floppy's.They are set to the same as the jumpers on the card. Should they be at null/nothing?
(I also get the same 1782 error for all of the five different HD cards I installed)

I'm working on a 5162. I use the IBM Diagnostic Disk for AT's to set the floppy's.They are set to the same as the jumpers on the card. Should they be at null/nothing?
(I also get the same 1782 error for all of the five different HD cards I installed)

the 5162 BIOS has issues when using a primary FDC other than the IBM combo card, probably goes for the HDC as well

Check that the drives and cable are hooked up properly, and any jumpers on the drives are set right.

Try running ImageDisk. That bypasses the BIOS and should read a disk regardless of what DOS or BIOS says. If it fails, then there is likely some problem other than BIOS.

IMD will also bypass any jumper settings on that card since all they serve to do is inform the included option ROM how to handle the int 13 calls

I had to put in a different FD card. The above card would let the system boot from FD. It went to Basic.
5170 Diagnostics Setup, a Gsetup will not allow, FD 1 to be set to null, only 360K and higher. FD is set to null.
Is there a link to ImageDisk. Google is not alot of help with those generic terms.
Thanks

I'm not sure what to do with Imagedisk?
It does not appear to be a bootable disk. It is a zip file full of small files. I have Winimage on my 98se machine to make disk images into real disks. It does not like .zip files, as I am very sure you know.
How does this boot before dos is loaded? If the computer does not recognize the drives, as with the card in question, how will this run? If I use the other FD card to kind of works, it will not report about that card not teh one in question.

from post #11, I do have the IBM FD/HD card mentioned. It it sees the FD's but will not boot from it. The FD/HD jumpers are set to Primary. It also reports 1782 error.

What are you talking about? ImageDisk is a program just like WinImage, except it is for DOS. (And works with many non-DOS disk formats). You just run it under DOS, from a hard drive.

ImageDisk operates by talking directly to the floppy disk controller chip. As such, it does not care what DOS or BIOS thinks, as long as it can find the controller chip. This is possible because "standard" IBM PCs and clones use similar floppy disk controller chips located at the same I/O port.

I had to put in a different FD card. The above card would let the system boot from FD. It went to Basic.
5170 Diagnostics Setup, a Gsetup will not allow, FD 1 to be set to null, only 360K and higher. FD is set to null.
Is there a link to ImageDisk. Google is not alot of help with those generic terms.
Thanks

I was able to boot my 5162 without issue using the IBM BIOS and that exact longshine FDC. The IBM BIOS did throw up the FDC error message (due to not using the combo card) but it initialized the drives and booted from a 360kb disk just fine

This was with the option ROM on the card disabled btw (no jumper on the address block)

Well, the HD in this 5162 does not work. I need reliable FD to run SpeedStor or other program to get it LLF'd. That is if I can get past the 1782.

With the FD card that I can at least boot dos with, I get this running IMD. I am using a 1.2mb disk.

Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• DSCN4406.JPG
    DSCN4406.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 2
Back