• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I think this is an IBM PC/AT motherboard, but 10mhz? Can't find a part number on it

keenerb

Veteran Member
TEMB09js.jpg

Full-size image at

https://i.imgur.com/TEMB09j.jpg

I'm not real familiar with IBM 51XX-model machines.

I picked this up in a box of miscellaneous boards at an estate sale yesterday. Turns out it was a complete, disassembled 5150 with original 64-256k motherboard, floppy controller, memory upgrade, CGA card, and assorted miscellaneous cards.

There was also this board, which I had thought was an older normal 286 motherboard but when I got home I realized it was probably a 5170(?) PC/AT motherboard, due to having 8 slots and the arrangement of power connectors and whatnot. My internet searching has informed me that the 5170 reached 8mhz at max, so I"m not sure if this is a third-party board or what. There's no obvious part numbers on this that I can identify.

Maybe someone replaced the 8mhz cpu with a 10mhz at some point?

It’s a clone board. It has a full megabyte of 41256 RAM installed and real IBM ATs only had 512k. (Either two banks of piggybacked 4164s or a single bank of 41256.)

It's a clone board, not from IBM. Should be obvious by the text "Copyright PC-CALC LTD. 1987". ;)

AT clone with one megabyte on the motherboard. Phoenix BIOS so fairly standard setup program. The label with "PCC ICT" should be a clue to the manufacturer but I can't figure it out.

It's a clone board, not from IBM. Should be obvious by the text "Copyright PC-CALC LTD. 1987". ;)

You know that was barely even noticeable to the naked eye. I looked that board over about ten times.

This also doesn't match the jumpers perfectly for the two PC-CALC motherboards I can find on stason/etc.

Conveniently enough I came into possession of my first IBM 5150 just a few weeks ago, so it's nice having a set of spare parts and maybe an upgrade board available!

Size aside, the ISA slots wouldn't line up either, as the spacing was larger in the 5150.

That particular board still would not quite fit in an 5160 or typical "XT" style case. It is just a bit too large. Although it is sometimes possible to stuff a smaller "baby-AT" style 286/386/486 motherboard in to a 5160 case, as the slots do line up.

Due to the size, you would need a 5170 or a full sized AT clone case for that motherboard. Many full-size/full-tower AT style clone cases made up to the Pentium I era would probably fit that.

That particular board still would not quite fit in an 5160 or typical "XT" style case. It is just a bit too large. Although it is sometimes possible to stuff a smaller "baby-AT" style 286/386/486 motherboard in to a 5160 case, as the slots do line up.

Due to the size, you would need a 5170 or a full sized AT clone case for that motherboard. Many full-size/full-tower AT style clone cases made up to the Pentium I era would probably fit that.

Ah I see. Like I said, I don't know much about the early IBM pcs, much more of a Tandy guy. I picked up the 5160 just to tinker with, it'll probably all just end up on Ebay anyway, I'll let the buyer figure out what fits what...

Back