• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to price a IBM PC XT?

Drizzt321

Hopefully this is a better forum than the For Sale/Trade forum, but I'm looking for advice on how to price my old IBM PC XT, monitor, keyboard, software & manuals? Last I checked it was running fine, with HDD. Obviously I need to pull it out of storage, set it up, verify it still turns on fine/etc. Get some good photos of everything, the internals, each card, and so on.

I've looked at Ebay, but those prices seem so astronomical, I doubt that's the real market value though, thus me turning to a group of vintage buffs! :)

You have to look at SOLD listings. Any idiot can ask a bazillion dollars, but they will never get it.

Off hand, it sounds like you have a good grasp on how to sell it. The key factors are what is installed, and what the condition is. It seems like lately genuine IBM PC/XT/AT computers in good condition have been selling for a good amount of money ($200-$500) depending on what they have with them.

You will want to consider if you want to split the CPU/monitor/keyboard/software/cards in to separate auctions. For a generic IBM PC, that is a reasonable thing to do. (but for proprietary hardware, a system can be useless without some part).

I'd think there would be enough interest that a bid auction would end at whatever a reasonable amount is, but there is always the risk of selling too low.

We're not vintage buffs. We just never figured out how to use windows.

LOL, fair enough ;)

You have to look at SOLD listings. Any idiot can ask a bazillion dollars, but they will never get it.

Off hand, it sounds like you have a good grasp on how to sell it. The key factors are what is installed, and what the condition is. It seems like lately genuine IBM PC/XT/AT computers in good condition have been selling for a good amount of money ($200-$500) depending on what they have with them.

You will want to consider if you want to split the CPU/monitor/keyboard/software/cards in to separate auctions. For a generic IBM PC, that is a reasonable thing to do. (but for proprietary hardware, a system can be useless without some part).

I'd think there would be enough interest that a bid auction would end at whatever a reasonable amount is, but there is always the risk of selling too low.

I finally figured out how to look at sold listings, had to do some searches to figure it out, that'll give me a much better idea of what I can start the prices at. And as a complete setup, looks like I can expect a pretty decent price actually. Although I'd rather sell on here to ya'll first, just easier without dealing with ebay and the fees and such.

Also make sure that you know how to pack a CRT monitor correctly. They need to be well supported and double-boxed with packing material between. Otherwise it is very likely that the shipping apes will turn it into junk.

Also make sure that you know how to pack a CRT monitor correctly. They need to be well supported and double-boxed with packing material between. Otherwise it is very likely that the shipping apes will turn it into junk.

Thanks for that. I'll investigate to make sure I do it properly! Might have to invest in buying a few cardboard boxes and lots of packing paper. Oh, wait, I've got all these paper bags from grocery store right now. Done! lol.

Paper is not suitable for cushion on electronics as it will compact and allow things to move and not absorb shock.

As much as I loathe styrofoam, it's particularly apt for this particular application.

Vast quantities of bubble wrap can work as well.

*facepalm* You're right, thank you.

So multiple layers of cardboard and bubble wrap, with extra around the glass end of any monitors.

*facepalm* You're right, thank you.

So multiple layers of cardboard and bubble wrap, with extra around the glass end of any monitors.

Yes. The idea is to fill the empty space so that the monitor cannot move too much, but not so rigid that the shock gets transferred directly to the plastic or glass.

The glass end is pretty strong. You want to protect it of course, especially from scratches, but it’s the plastic on monitors that gets destroyed in shipping. I saw someone on Facebook post a photo of how they ship a monitor with pool noodles cut lengthwise to cradle the all of the edges of the monitor. You don’t want too much pressure on the flat parts of the plastic especially on top with all of the vents, because it’s likely to crater.

The glass end is pretty strong. You want to protect it of course, especially from scratches, but it’s the plastic on monitors that gets destroyed in shipping. I saw someone on Facebook post a photo of how they ship a monitor with pool noodles cut lengthwise to cradle the all of the edges of the monitor. You don’t want too much pressure on the flat parts of the plastic especially on top with all of the vents, because it’s likely to crater.

Put it in a box with plenty of supportive foam padding and bubble wrap. Screw together a simple wooden frame around it out of scrap lumber (junk pallet boards are good/free), this is in case they stack something heavy on top more than for sideways protection. Pack that inside another slightly larger box with packing peanuts or panels cut from foam insulation.

(I didn't know what a pool noodle was. Looks like pipe insulation. Good idea, too.)

Or take it to a UPS or FedEx store and pay them to professionally pack it. They'll box it with bags of expanding foam, then double box it. Shipping monitors right is a pain, but it's better than having to send someone a refund!

Keyboards are another easily damaged item that also ought to be way over padded with layers of large bubble wrap. The small bubble wrap is useless garbage; you might as well wrap something in paper as use that stuff. A lot of the time people will give them a couple wraps of small bubble wrap and throw it on top of everything in the box. Then the shipping monkeys throw a box full of bricks on top of it and it arrives with half the keys broken off.

Shipping,
the thing is to realise how the box is handled the long trip in van's, sorting center etc.
You pack it in the idea to drop is from at least 3 feet.

A TIP! Close the FFD disks units before shipping, better put a disk in it.
Than IF it is still running and have a hard disk, look for program PARK DISK.
Disk heads will be put on a safe place for transport.

You have a nice original setup.
Hope you'll find some one who will take again lot of care and just have fun with it.

My philosophy is with old stuff I sell, money I don't care much , just a fair price.
I have more fun with selling to persons that , as me, have fun with it ,than to empty some one
else his/hers pockets. As I know its just a hobby to spare some time with it.
And if I want to buy something I also like to be priced fairly.

Its not common of course, but it can be fallen into the wrong hands
The extreme way : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_w7uSnOj0

This is the common how normally go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y5w6wKuZEA

Shipping,
the thing is to realise how the box is handled the long trip in van's, sorting center etc.
You pack it in the idea to drop is from at least 3 feet.

Just visualize your box being thrown out of the back of a truck moving 30MPH, and that's a good idea of what kind of environment you're subjecting this to.

Another real concern is the weight of the boxes that will be stacked on top of it. If your packing can't stand 50+ pounds of pressure, expect a crushed item.

Or take it to a UPS or FedEx store and pay them to professionally pack it. They'll box it with bags of expanding foam, then double box it. Shipping monitors right is a pain, but it's better than having to send someone a refund!

A few years ago I shipped a couple of EGA monitors via UPS and used their service to pack them. It cost about $70 extra (each) to do so, but they arrived intact.

Back