• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Which power supply for this 286 clone MB?

MajorMar

So I got a hold of this no-name 286 MB. Seems to be similar to this one http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/U-Z/33636.htm

I want to test it out, but then I realized there were no keyed slots in the motherboard power pin sockets like I am used to seeing with AT systems. The board says PS2 near the power connector. Any idea which PS I should try to source or build to connect to this thing? If there is a recommended pinout, maybe I can hack one together out of an ATX PS if I could find the right plugs w/pins.
MVIMG_20200918_235746_sm.jpg
MVIMG_20200918_235828_sm.jpg

That's a standard AT power connector. If it's not keyed, connect it so that the black ground wires of P8 and P9 meet in the middle of the connector.

A big one with a Red on/off switch at the side.
For At better to use a 150W version, to be recognised through 3 or 4 Disk Drive power connectors.
The 130W , with 2 Disk Drive power connectors can be used but beware not to full fill all option in your PC.

Could be that there are also old small boxed PSU's with those 2 white Mother Board connectors.

Example
20200919_XT-AT PSU SCHRACK 130W.jpg

Beware of the "Power ON".
That is a signal from MBoard.

You have to manually make that signal.
On internet lots of idea's how to. - Its easy Just wire Power-ON to GND Ground to start the PSU.
Green Wire to A Black

An old AT just has only a Power-OK signal. That is to start up the CPU.
Power-OK is a signal from PSU that al voltages are OK to run the PC safely.

New ATX PSU it is the Gray Wire "Power OK" -check "ATX Pin OUT" google search.
So must be on your AT connector.
Pin-Outs are lost of to find..

Check Firmly ! the colour code to voltage on both the connectors.
1 mistake will definitely ruin your board.

Beware of the "Power ON".
That is a signal from MBoard.

Thanks! I probably would have put 3.3V on there otherwise. I took the time to trace the power connections from the ISA bus just to make sure my pinout was right. Then I hacked up my old ATX PS and tested it out. I am getting the right voltages, but it doesn't boot up. I will play around with it some more at another time, but at least I got the PS to work. Also, I found these on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/i/233552448781 Would have saved me some time if I was willing to wait for shipping.

This picture from google search would have led me down the wrong path of putting 3.3V on the "Power OK" line.
atpic.jpg

Back