• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

1394104 keyboard (Terminal model M?)

pgru2

Experienced Member
Hi and thank You for reply in advance
Just I am on daily basis using keyboard with P/N: 1394104 and want to known more about it. Sadly the English Wikipedia probably lacks more info about this model, maybe You known more? Like the market for which it was made, or the initial price? It's made in United Kingdom(so I assume that it is made in Scotland) in 1992.

Is there a FRU or a more IBM-styled part number on the backside? They typically are arranged as XXYXXXX.

Edited: Oh I see now. It looks like a 122 key model with the 3270-style terminal layout.
Normally not sold separately from the terminal itself and likely not cheap either if you had to order a replacement from IBM.

Thats a very odd keyboard. If its the same as this:-

https://www.sweclockers.com/forum/trad/1363688-hittade-ett-ibm-1394104-keyboard-pa-jobbet

It has PA1,2 & 3 but the function keys are labelled F1 - F24 and normally a 3270 keyboard has them labelled PF1 to PF24.
But there is a label there which implies it came from a 3483

https://www.argecy.com/3483

and that layout matches...
... so a UK keyboard for an IBM 3483. That doesn't mean the terminal it went with was made in the UK. IBM commonly made the component parts in separate countries.
I remember getting some 3178s where I think the logic units were made in Canada, Keyboards UK, and monitors Finland.

Thats a very odd keyboard. If its the same as this:-

https://www.sweclockers.com/forum/trad/1363688-hittade-ett-ibm-1394104-keyboard-pa-jobbet

It has PA1,2 & 3 but the function keys are labelled F1 - F24 and normally a 3270 keyboard has them labelled PF1 to PF24.
But there is a label there which implies it came from a 3483

https://www.argecy.com/3483

and that layout matches...
... so a UK keyboard for an IBM 3483. That doesn't mean the terminal it went with was made in the UK. IBM commonly made the component parts in separate countries.
I remember getting some 3178s where I think the logic units were made in Canada, Keyboards UK, and monitors Finland.

I've seen that P/N in a German eBay listing, and the RJ45(RJ11/RJ12?) connector seems standard, implying it's for a terminal's base unit (e.g. 3290?). The 3483 appears to be able to use the true Model M based Host Connect 122-key keyboard with membrane rather than buckling-spring action, of which I have a couple somewhere here. Those have the usual PS/2 6-pin mini-DIN connector.

Thanks for replies.
My keyboard is different to Swedish one. Instead of Swedish(?) å etc. it have Polish Ł, Ó, Ę... It is also unusual, because most Poles are using so called Polish programmer - it's usual QWERTY, but Polish letters are by right alt + letters, e.g. ą is by right alt + a.
It's interesting because separate keys for letters were not so common in Poland(as far as I known) excluding most common Polish computer Elwro 800 Jr (if You can call a common computer that probably was not made in more than 20000 pieces)...
(BTW: did I say before that I collect Polish computers and parts?, if You have something unusual or unusual info contact me)

Thanks for replies.
My keyboard is different to Swedish one. Instead of Swedish(?) å etc. it have Polish Ł, Ó, Ę... It is also unusual, because most Poles are using so called Polish programmer - it's usual QWERTY, but Polish letters are by right alt + letters, e.g. ą is by right alt + a.
It's interesting because separate keys for letters were not so common in Poland(as far as I known) excluding most common Polish computer Elwro 800 Jr (if You can call a common computer that probably was not made in more than 20000 pieces)...
(BTW: did I say before that I collect Polish computers and parts?, if You have something unusual or unusual info contact me)

Different NLS (National Language Support) keycaps can (*maybe* for Polish) be found in eBay listings, one great feature of the Model M class keyboards. If not, custom printing of them is also possible.

Back