• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best Motherboard for a 5162/ XT-286

ajacocks

VCForum Administrator
Staff member
So, as I’ve mentioned, I have a 75% complete IBM XT 286, in great condition. However, before it came to me, someone upgraded the motherboard with a random 486sx motherboard. Because of that, and the fact that the market for original motherboards seems to be very tight, I’m looking for a reasonable replacement that is period-appropriate.

My first hope was that I could squeeze one of the later AT motherboards in, but they are 3/4” too long, on the long axis. Does anyone else have a suggestion for good 286 boards that would have been likely candidates for XT upgrades, or replacements for XT 286es, with failed motherboards?

I have the following cards installed:

Generic Cirrus Logic VGA (I’m on the lookout for a good EGA card)
Sound Blaster 2.0
Ultrastor 14F SCSI/floppy controller
NE2000 generic network card
Generic serial/parallel card

As far as drives go, I have:

Black 1.44mb 3.5” (I’m on the lookout for the correct blue-buttoned IBM floppy)
IBM 360k 5.25”
1GB full-height Seagate SCSI-1

Currently, I have a late headland chipset 286/20 motherboard installed, but that doesn’t seem appropriate, as it would have come out quite a few years after the XT 286. It also looks quite silly in the case, as it’s a tiny board that isn’t much bigger than the 6x16 bit ISA slots that it supports.

Any suggestions are welcome!
- Alex

Is there any reason you haven't considered an IBM AT or IBM XT-286 motherboard further? I don't think the market for them is that tight...?

Something "period appropriate" for an XT-286 or AT would be something like a 20 or 25 MHz 386 upgrade, which is something people actually did (you could browse 1990-ish issues of Computer Shopper to get some ideas). But since the XT-286 has a recognizable brand and historical relevancy, I would try hard to find an IBM AT motherboard to put in it. (I understand an XT-286 board is harder to find.) You might be able to salvage working boards from "doesn't do anything when you turn it on" IBM ATs currently sold on ebay.

Currently, I have a late headland chipset 286/20 motherboard installed, but that doesn’t seem appropriate, as it would have come out quite a few years after the XT 286. It also looks quite silly in the case, as it’s a tiny board that isn’t much bigger than the 6x16 bit ISA slots that it supports.

It's actually somewhat appropriate, although most people did a motherboard swap to jump from 286 to 386.

Finding a 5162 motherboard is indeed quite difficult, I looked for one for damn near 10 years before finally restoring mine.

The 5170 board will not fit

Trixter,

An AT board was my first choice. I have a nice 8 MHz one, but it’s too long, as I mentioned, unfortunately.

- Alex

How much is too much ?

There is a 5162 motherboard for sale for £180 on ebay, which is twice what my 5160 system cost, but it would make it complete.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-5162...4524&brand=IBM&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042

Or an 89 286 board that looks about the size and is only 3 years younger than the release date of the 5162

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/286-Moth...a=1&pg=2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042

for me, I was capping my spend at $100US

$100 was my ceiling for an authentic IBM, a clone would only be worth half that at best IMO

Unfortunately, the vendor contacted me, after a long wait, to say that they didn't actually have the board. I've since placed several other such orders, with the same result.

So, I'm still in search! Please let me know if anyone has one that they'd be willing to part with.

- Alex

The price shot up on these a while back because people started figuring out how rare they are. I have seen bare motherboards going for $300 already, and that seems to be the current price. Complete machines I have seen over $1500 and they sell at that price.

The price shot up on these a while back because people started figuring out how rare they are. I have seen bare motherboards going for $300 already, and that seems to be the current price. Complete machines I have seen over $1500 and they sell at that price.

There’s a board that sold just last month for $157. It was untested, but I’d say there’s a good chance it probably worked.

If you want an XT-286 you need the original board IMHO. Anything else is a clone in an IBM case. A case is not the computer.

Check ebay often and you should get lucky.

framer

Damn, with that kind of money I could go to Disney Land!

Back