• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need information from NEC Multispeed Manual

MGaddict

Does anybody have the manuals for an original NEC Multispeed? I have been searching online for days with no luck. All I'm really looking for is the dip switch settings. If anybody has these settings, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm attempting to restore my NEC Multispeed that was handed down to me 26 years ago. I left it behind when I moved out of my parents house many years ago. Something happened to the screen so it is trash. :-( Otherwise, if I can get the dip switch settings, I should have this thing running this weekend connected to an RGB monitor.

Model: Multispeed
This is the original Multispeed laptop. Previous to the HD or the EL models. There is so little information about this thing online it's ridiculous. In total sales, it looks like this was the best selling of the 3 models however the HD appears to be far more documented and people seem to desire it more because of the backlight and the hard drive.
Since posting this, I've had a LOT of updates... I've figured out it's the rear polarizer and reflective layers that are bad. The LCD itself is fine. I couldn't get any external picture from the RGB connector and was assuming it was tied to the dip switches. Turns out I have to use the settings inside the laptop which is really difficult to see with the screen as bad as it is. Once I got that working, I was able to switch to RGB and the rest of the laptop works fantastic.
I'm still trying to find the correct polarizer and reflector to replace the one on the screen. These STN panels are really only used on really small screen devices, so finding the film large enough has been a real problem.
I would still LOVE to find the original manual though. Once I got into this, it only took a few minutes to refamiliarize myself with it, but having the manual would still be nice.

I downloaded all of the NECAM FTP from Archive.Org (I have 3 486ish era Versa E/M/P myself) - I saw the Multispeed drivers and whatnot in the directories, so if you need those, I have that.

Back