Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Yup, another IBM 5160 failed motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, another IBM 5160 failed motherboard

I have a 5160 XT 64-256 motherboard.

Last time I tried to swap the CPU with NEC 12 Mhz one and it did not work. So I tried the original one and it still did not work. Motherboard appear "dead".

Procedures done so far:
    - minimum diagnostics setup does not work.
    - the CPU is OK, I tried it on another motherboard.
    - I checked the 40 pins of the CPU socket for connection with the other side of the motherboard - all connected. A bad socket or a damaged one could explain everything.
    - POWER is OK. I powered another motherboard with the same power supply. Voltages are OK.
    - I changed capacitors: C58, C59, C56, C54, C68. Middle pin is +, outside is -. Longer leg of the capacitor is + (there is a + also on it)
    - I re-socketed the entire 9 x 4 = 36 memory chips
    - I exchanged the memory chips from BANK0 and BANK1

What else can be done ?

I have a hard time identifying the memory chips.
    IMG_20201122_212018.png
    Last edited by tonata; November 22, 2020, 01:01 PM.

Originally posted by tonata View Post
    Last time I tried to swap the CPU with NEC 12 Mhz one and it did not work. So I tried the original one and it still did not work. Motherboard appear "dead".
    So, the motherboard was working before you put in the NEC V20 CPU ?

- POWER is OK. I powered another motherboard with the same power supply. Voltages are OK.
    So, on the faulty motherboard, the voltages and POWER GOOD signal are good (per [here]) ?

What else can be done ?
    Do you have a Supersoft/Landmark Diagnostic ROM ?
    If so, does it show anything ?

If not, do you have another BIOS ROM chip to try ?

Per [here], do you have the means to see if the CPU and 8288 chip are getting a 4.77 MHz clock signal ?

Comment

I have a hard time identifying the memory chips.
      Based on the symbol, the chip maker is Siemens (see [here]).
      A search for "Siemens 8493286" shows some hits, some including "DIP16", and so I suspect that 8493286 is the part number.

Siemens' normal chip for ths application is the HYB4164. Maybe IBM had Siemens label their HYB4164 as the IBM part number of 8493286 ?
      And IBM may have had other makers do the same thing, e.g. "intel 8493286" appears at [here].
      "8493286" also appears on these forums at [here].

Comment

Yes. It was working. But then I did not test immediately before changing the CPU. So 10 days before changing the CPU was working.

Yes I checked the voltages per here

I do not have EPROM writer or Diagnostics ROM. I have ROMs from another IBM 5160, but still they are not diagnostic.

I have a logic probe and multimeter. Maybe I can access another equipment if I know exactly what I need to see the clock signal.

Originally posted by modem7 View Post
        So, the motherboard was working before you put in the NEC V20 CPU ?

So, on the faulty motherboard, the voltages and POWER GOOD signal are good (per [here]) ?

Do you have a Supersoft/Landmark Diagnostic ROM ?
        If so, does it show anything ?

If not, do you have another BIOS ROM chip to try ?

Per [here], do you have the means to see if the CPU and 8288 chip are getting a 4.77 MHz clock signal ?
        Last edited by tonata; November 22, 2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I have ROMs from another IBM 5160, but still they are not diagnostic.
          A faulty BIOS ROM is a possibility, so try a BIOS ROM from another 5160.

I have a logic probe and multimeter. Maybe I can access another equipment if I know exactly what I need to see the clock signal.
          Your logic probe should show alternating signals, such as clocks.
          Use it to see how it behaves when measuring the 4.77 MHz clock on your good 5160 motherboard.
          It will not tell you the frequency, but it will give you confidence that the clock is present.

Comment

So the 8288 is next to the power supply and the FPU. It is U8.
            In your link link it is 8284A. It is not 8288, bit I suppose it is OK.
            So pin 2 of the 8288 gives clock on the probe.
            Pin 19 on the CPU gives clock also.

Comment

I do not have EPROM writer or Diagnostics ROM.
              The people/companies at [here] can create the ROM for you.

Comment

So the 8288 is next to the power supply and the FPU. It is U8.
                In your link link it is 8284A. It is not 8288, bit I suppose it is OK.
                The link shows the 8284A generating the 4.77 MHz clock, with the "CPU, 8288, NPU" receiving that clock.

(The NPU {8087} socket does not need to be checked. The NPU, if present, is not involved in the starting of the 5160.)

So pin 2 of the 8288 gives clock on the probe.
                Pin 19 on the CPU gives clock also.
                Giving you good confidence about the 4.77 MHz clock.

Refer to [here]. Does your logic probe show pulses on pin 13 of the 8253 chip. If it does, it means that the POST has started (reaching at least step 13 at [here]).

Tried another set of IBM BIOS ROM's ?

Comment

I checked with the other ROM chips. It did not work. But then these other ROM chips are from upgraded MB from 16-256 to 256-640 by IBM. So it is another version of the ROMs 1986 compared to 1983 (the failed one) and this upgraded MB has some extra cables around the ROM chips. So I am not sure it was compatible?

Pin 13 gives red 5 V, instead of pulses. So definitely a problem?

Can I check if the CPU is halted?
                  Last edited by tonata; November 23, 2020, 01:28 AM.

Comment

PB7 on 8255 shows no state. The logic probe diodes are all dark.
                    It is supposed to be high?

And when I say that there is "clock" actually 3 diodes are on: red, orange (pulse) and green. It is not just blinking the orange one (pulse). Maybe when the frequency is too high is like that. It is the 3 instead of a pulsing orange diode.
                    Last edited by tonata; November 23, 2020, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Pin 13 gives red 5 V, instead of pulses. So definitely a problem?
                      It is informing you that either:
                      * The POST is not starting, or
                      * The POST is starting, but not getting as far as step 13.

Yes, but that will not inform you of what caused the halt, or when the halt occurred.

I checked with the other ROM chips. It did not work. But then these other ROM chips are from upgraded MB from 16-256 to 256-640 by IBM. So it is another version of the ROMs 1986 compared to 1983 (the failed one) and this upgraded MB has some extra cables around the ROM chips. So I am not sure it was compatible?
                      The "extra cables" on your 'upgraded' 256-640KB board will be IBM's rewiring to accommodate 27256 type ROM's. Some photos in links at the bottom of [here].

The 05/09/86 BIOS on a 64-256KB motherboard should, at the least, start and display something. I will put the 05/09/86 BIOS into my 64-256KB motherboard, and report back.

PB7 on 8255 shows no state. The logic probe diodes are all dark.
                      It is supposed to be high?
                      At power-on time, PB7 will be an input. Per step 5 of [here], the POST configures the pin as an output. So your measurement indicates that if (and if) the POST is running, it is not getting as far as step 5.

And when I say that there is "clock" actually 3 diodes are on: red, orange (pulse) and green. It is not just blinking the orange one (pulse). Maybe when the frequency is too high is like that. It is the 3 instead of a pulsing orange diode.
                      The manual for your logic probe will tell you what it displays for different things.

Comment

See post #22 at [here].

Comment

Thanks!

The 3 pins 26,27,28 S0,S1,S2 are all high. So this is a HOLD state. Here it is called "passive" and it means "No Bus Cycle".
                          Ready pin is HIGH.

In the past there was some suspicious behavior of 8255A, but it still worked OK. Could this be explained by a defective IO chip 8255A?

Maybe I can measure the clocks with oscilloscope of the other chips and rule them out?

Comment

Originally posted by modem7 View Post
                            The 05/09/86 BIOS on a 64-256KB motherboard should, at the least, start and display something. I will put the 05/09/86 BIOS into my 64-256KB motherboard, and report back.
                            I did that, and as expected, I saw a RAM count-up on the screen. So you can rule out a faulty BIOS ROM chip as the problem cause.

In the past there was some suspicious behavior of 8255A, but it still worked OK. Could this be explained by a defective IO chip 8255A?
                            The 8255A would have to be faulty in a way that interferes with operation of the address or data buses. Quite a few chips can do that.

(The "suspicious behavior of 8255A" that you refer to will be what you observed during the time that we were fixing your 'keyboard port does not work' symptom. From memory, the 'suspicious behavior' was later explained by a detailed look at what the POST does with PB6 and PB7 under certain failure modes of the keyboard interface circuitry.)

Comment

For the IBM 5160, the sequence of events that occurs before the POST starts is shown at [here]. To verify that ALL of that is happening, you would need a range of different test equipment (and the knowledge of how to use them).

Comment

Working...
                              X