• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help needed to Identify Cards

jens.hafner

Dear Experts:

I recently received two 5170 IBM PC/ATs. Both of them were equipped with cards, that I am unable to identify. I attached pictures of both cards. Can anyone Identify those adapters? Is this an ethernet or a token ring adapter?

IMG_1074 (1).jpeg

IMG_1073 (1).jpeg

Best Regards

Jens Hafner

They are both certainly network cards.

The top one is extremely likely to be an ethernet card. If that DB-15 connector has a sliding latch on it (unclear in the photo), then it definitely is. You can use an AUI-to-10baseT transceiver on that port to plug it into a modern cat5 ethernet, although those transceivers are getting almost as expensive as ISA ethernet cards that have an rj45 port on them to begin with.

The bottom one could be a token ring or arcnet card. I don't think it's an ethernet card since it is somewhat rare to see a 10base2 card that doesn't also have an AUI port. However, if they came from the same place and were both originally on the same 10base2 network, then I might rethink that.

Unless you have some specific hankering to set up a 10base2 or thicknet network, I'd opine that they are both pretty much junk to the non-collector, the unknown BNC card much moreso than the ethernet card.

Back