Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

The Compaq Deskpro 8086, finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Compaq Deskpro 8086, finally!

I've finally gotten another one of my "holy grail" systems, the original Compaq Deskpro 8086. This thread will be documenting the Deskpro as I build it up to how I want it to be.

As some of you already know, the Compaq Deskpro was released in 1984, and was Compaq's first desktop computer.

Since IBM released the 5155 portable earlier in 1984 to compete with Compaq's own Portable, Compaq decided to make a desktop to compete with IBM's PC and XT! Compaq used the full 8086 instead of the 8088, making the Deskpro a faster machine than IBM's own PC and XT. It also used the same dual-mode graphics sub system that the Compaq Portable used, allowing for high-res text and graphics on the same monitor. IBM had to have been more than a little ticked off.

Here is my unit in its current state with an original amber monitor that I found for a great price:

IMG_6138.jpg

Such a nice looking desktop. Built like a tank too, It's heavier than an IBM XT.

The system unit I got from someone in Huston, Texas and I believe from what I was told that it came from Computer Reset. It's in excellent condition. No rust or anything. It is 100% stock, with two 360KB drives, the floppy controller and a graphics adapter. Nothing else, not even a serial port. So I'll be the first one to ever upgrade it.

The only thing I had to replace in it were two shorted tantalum caps on the floppy controller board. Finding that fault didn't take long, as the system would only start with the floppy controller removed. Otherwise it hasn't needed any other repairs.

Here's another pic of it running Windows 1.01 (from floppies, as I don't currently have a hard drive installed):

IMG_6139.jpg

Looks so good in amber. I can't even express how excited I was to see this running on here. I will be doing a full install of it once I get an MFM/RLL hard drive in there.

I will be sure to get an internal pic of this machine next time I open it.

I did also find an original Operations Guide for the Deskpro, which I'll upload a pic of later. It's in great shape, aside from smelling a bit like a cigar. Hopefully it'll air out in time.

And I actually found a set of drive rails for this machine on eBay! I thought I was going to have to make something, but a few days later I found some, which makes things a lot easier.

The next item to find is the original keyboard.

That's all I have for now. LOTS more to come...
    Compaq - It simply works better

Congrats! I too am a big fan of older Compaq desktops!

Comment

Originally posted by alank2 View Post
      Congrats! I too am a big fan of older Compaq desktops!
      Thank you!

Comment

Wow, nice, this is the direct competition to Olivetti M24 / AT&T 6300. Would be nice to see some benchmarks in comparison.
        <album>

Comment

Absolutely amazing! Love seeing these classic 8088/8086-based machines fully restored and working.

I myself am waiting for one of my "holy grail" machines to arrive from UPS (not spoiling what it is but I'll post my own thread once I can test it.) I'd also LOVE to get my hands on an IBM PS/2 Model P70, but they command OUTRAGEOUS prices even if broken, and Compaq Contura 3/25 also proving difficult to find.
          Vintage computer systems and peripherals I'm currently looking for:
          IBM PS/2 Model P70, Compaq Contura 3/25, Any Toshiba Libretto laptop from the Libretto 50CT up to the 110CT, Commodore 1541 disk drive in working condition.

Send a PM if you are interested in selling any of these items to me. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 1ST1 View Post
            Wow, nice, this is the direct competition to Olivetti M24 / AT&T 6300. Would be nice to see some benchmarks in comparison.
            Entry 46 and 55: https://github.com/MobyGamer/TOPBENC...r/DATABASE.CSV

The Compaq 8086 is really running at 7.16 MHz. I think the 6300 runs at 8 MHz (I could be wrong).

Comment

The correct keyboard seems to be hard to find and is pretty pricy, but I'm pretty sure the "compaq enhanced keyboard" should work with it, although it's a little newer, but it seems to be easier to find. I've tested the enhanced keyboard and it worked on an IBM 5160 and 5170, so I think it's an auto-switching keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by compaqportableplus View Post
                The next item to find is the original keyboard.

Excellent. It can be challenging to find the original keyboard. If you find yourself in a pinch, the Compaq Enhanced keyboard will work fine with the Deskpro and can be easier to acquire. I did this until I found an original keyboard as it kept the proper aesthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by jafir View Post
                  The correct keyboard seems to be hard to find and is pretty pricy, but I'm pretty sure the "compaq enhanced keyboard" should work with it, although it's a little newer, but it seems to be easier to find. I've tested the enhanced keyboard and it worked on an IBM 5160 and 5170, so I think it's an auto-switching keyboard.
                  Ha, you beat me to it.

Comment

1ST1,

Thanks! I did benchmark this machine in CheckIt and got a pic of the results. I’ll upload it a little later.

TH2002,

Thank you! Yeah, these old 808x systems are really a lot of fun to restore. I will keep an eye out for your thread on the new machine you are getting! Yeah, I’d like to have a P70 too, but as you say, they are just too expensive most of the time. You’ll definitely find a Contura 3/25 eventually, I got one super cheap off of eBay last year. The Conturas are really cool. I have the 3/25, 4/25, 4/25c and 4/25cx. The only ones I am lacking are the 3/20 and 3/25c which I would like to get eventually.

jafir,

Yeah, the keyboards are definitely not super common these days. But yes, the enhanced keyboard will work and I have been watching for a reasonable priced one as well. I’d actually like to have both it and the original. I’m pretty sure I saw one a year or so ago on eBay that ended for extremely cheap, so I don’t think they’re terribly pricey, just hard to find. Wish I had bought it but since I didn’t own a Deskpro then I passed on it.

resman,

Great system you have there! Yes, I have been watching for a good enhanced keyboard as well. Ideally, I’d like to have both it and the original. I also see an original Portable to the very right and a III or 386 just barely to the very left.

Comment

There are a couple of keyboards on ebay right now, but they are both around $100, before shipping. I've been tempted to put in a really low offer, but I'm also hoping that I can go back to computer reset and maybe dig one up, if I'm lucky. There is even an a deskpro 286 keyboard on ebay, that I've never seen before, it looks like the 10 function key 8086 version, but has the dreaded L shaped enter key that I hate. I've got an 8086, 286, and 386 (a 386/25, not the original deskpro 386) so it might be cool to get all of the keyboard varieties, just for authenticity.

Comment

There are a couple of keyboards on ebay right now, but they are both around $100, before shipping. I've been tempted to put in a really low offer, but I'm also hoping that I can go back to computer reset and maybe dig one up, if I'm lucky. There is even an a deskpro 286 keyboard on ebay, that I've never seen before, it looks like the 10 function key 8086 version, but has the dreaded L shaped enter key that I hate. I've got an 8086, 286, and 386 (a 386/25, not the original deskpro 386) so it might be cool to get all of the keyboard varieties, just for authenticity.
                        Yeah, I saw those. That person has been trying to sell them for ages, which tells me they probably aren’t open to reasonable offers.

Yes, that is the keyboard the early Deskpro 286s came with. It uses the AT layout, same as the original IBM AT keyboard did. The Compaq Portable 286 also has the same layout. I don’t have any issue with the layout personally.

Comment

My issue is that I always hit enter when trying to hit backslash. I have trouble with XT keyboards too these days, even though that's what I started on. Maybe I just need more practice on my old stuff

Comment

My issue is that I always hit enter when trying to hit backslash. I have trouble with XT keyboards too these days, even though that's what I started on. Maybe I just need more practice on my old stuff
                            Yeah, a different layout can be odd until you adjust. I remember when I got my first IBM model F how completely lost I felt using it, but now I can type really fast on it!

Comment

Originally posted by compaqportableplus View Post
                              1ST1,
                              resman,

Great system you have there! Yes, I have been watching for a good enhanced keyboard as well. Ideally, Id like to have both it and the original. I also see an original Portable to the very right and a III or 386 just barely to the very left.
                              I've got a few Compaqs:
                              Portable w/ Tiny286, XT-IDE
                              Portable 386
                              DeskPro w/ NEC V30, 2xST225 running Xenix 86, XT-IDE running DOS 5.0 (original keyboard)
                              DeskPro (enhanced keyboard)
                              DeskPro 286/12
                              DeskPro 386/25
                              DeskPro 386/20e w/ Cyrix486dx2, FastMath, 16MB running Win95/Linux/NT 3.51(NT4 shell)
                              DeskPro 486/33L w/ 486DX4, 38MB running NT4 - had it running OpenStep but the drive died.

Still waiting to find an original SystemPro, and then I'm done

Comment

Working...
                              X