• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Model F (PC/XT) Keyboards

DDS

Veteran Member
I recently came across 3 rather filthy & tired IBM Model F keyboards. One of them has a very sticky smooth cable that I intend to fix/replace. While searching the web for ideas on rebuilding a Model F I found this.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/

I'm aware of the company that is making new Model M keyboards, but this is a new one on me. I did a quick search here on the forum and didn't find any recent posts on the topic, so I figured I'd share. I looks like some kind of kickstarter campaign that is ending soon so, if anyone is interested, time is probably of the essence.

They are selling those $380, plus I am not sure why they are calling them model F keyboards, they are not. For one thing they do not have the Model F key layout. These are more like the small model M.

They are selling those $380, plus I am not sure why they are calling them model F keyboards, they are not. For one thing they do not have the Model F key layout. These are more like the small model M.

To be honest, I'm not all that familiar with the various incarnations of the F or M lines. The post may well be of some use to someone, but I'll leave it up to you to decide if it should be kept on the forum or deleted.

:)

... I am not sure why they are calling them model F keyboards, they are not. For one thing they do not have the Model F key layout. These are more like the small model M.

They appear to be referring to mechanical build qualities being more like the F than the M. It looks like these are modern USB interface keyboards, not PC/XT compatible keyboards. The name is quite confusing.

They have no dedicated function keys, so that's an automatic pass for me. If I want a space-saving keyboard with annoying function keys, I'll break out one of my PCjr keyboards.

The model letter (F or M) is used to distinguish the key switch type -- model Fs use capacitative switches, model Ms use membrane. There's no one "Model F key layout" -- the IBM XT, AT and 3270PC all have Model F keyboards but with different layouts.

The model letter (F or M) is used to distinguish the key switch type -- model Fs use capacitative switches, model Ms use membrane. There's no one "Model F key layout" -- the IBM XT, AT and 3270PC all have Model F keyboards but with different layouts.

Good to know.

They have no dedicated function keys, so that's an automatic pass for me. If I want a space-saving keyboard with annoying function keys, I'll break out one of my PCjr keyboards.

Honestly, the price is pretty much where I pass, I'd not pay that for a keyboard no matter who made it or what it was based on.

They are reproductions of two types of keyboards from the IBM 4707 banking terminal. The original keyboards are very rare, sought after and reach insane prices in the keyboard enthusiast circles, so that's why someone started a project 6 years ago to reproduce them as accurate to the originals as possible. The project took much more time than expected to get the final product, but now they are starting to deliver the keyboards ordered many years ago. They are mass producing from scratch all the required pieces with insane levels of quality.

They are Model F because they are using the capacitive buckling spring mechanism, it was originally patented by IBM but the patent expired long ago so anyone can freely make now reproductions. That was exactly the same mechanism used in the model F XT, model F AT, model F 122 and many others. They are so exactly similar that the parts (barrels, springs, and keys) are fully interchangeable between the new and vintage keyboards, you can even use model M keys, vintage or new keys made by Unicomp.

You have a lengthy 192 page thread in Deskthority.net that goes through all the process https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11046&sid=79655844f9b21c34940dc4205fbc9a21

As Trixter says, 60% layouts without dedicated function keys are not to everyone's taste, but if it is your thing you get an indestructible piece of equipment that will last you a lifetime.

I don't really get this newfangled fetish for keyboards with hardly any keys on them.

In my last job, I inadvertently made a young and impressionable coworker into a keyboard enthusiast. I was using a Matias Quiet Pro (full sized!) at the office, and this was his first exposure to something other than the cheapest rubber-dome crap out there. So he started looking into switch types and other customizations. Pretty soon he was building his own keyboard... of course a "space-saving" one, with no function keys or numeric keypad.

How much space do people really need to save? If you can't even spare the real-estate for cursor keys, whoever made your desk was doing it wrong. *shrugs*

Back