Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

PS/1 2011 ACU project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS/1 2011 ACU project

Hi,

don't know if it's the best section to speak about personal project, but i found it to be the more suitable.
    so, 2011 owners surerly know one thing : ACU option is probabely rare as unicorn

as i recently aquired a 2011, and speaking with the creator of the PS/1 ressource page (hottobar, if i'm not wrong)
    he told me it would be nice to have an ACU solution... i agreed, and starting to think about it...

so, in short, here it is :

the idea is to put the riser in an external box, under, or next the machine. with cables going trhu the 5"1/4 hole.
    the ACU card will provide extra 5V and even the -5V the 2011 don't provide.
    first pcb's are on the way to validate if i've done right or not (and there's some reasons for things may not work as expected...)
    so, is there some people interesed for having one if everything is right ? i don't talk pricing now, it's a bit early... but i can tell for sure it'll not be a blood sucker

I find it very interesting!
    My videos:
    IBM PS/1 model 2011 restored and enhanced
    IBM PC Advanced Diagnostics Cassette load

Comment

I find it very interesting, I did something similar just to address the lack of sound on the thing , things also didn't work as I expected them to.
      XTIDE etc. It will be interesting to see what you can get working in the thing.

ktTSoWT.jpg

Comment

interesting too... did you provide extra juice ?
        because as you have probably seen, the 2011 only provide one 5V rail, the 2 others have to be provided by an extra DC-DC converter via the 36V line.
        so, if cards need the extra power, they can't work reliably.

in my case, i'm more scared about noise issue due to the switching DC-DC converter...
        i pay attention on grounding it with it's own way, but things can be more complicated with noise troubles

Comment

well, first try yesterday, and it's (of course) a fail

my fear was true, but not from what i believed first. i face serious noise troubles, but it's all various noise comming from the system bus.
          i saw it with the led of the XT-CF with compact flash removed. led blink for mostly everything...
          once you reach 4 squares screen it blink when you move mouse, when you type on keyboard, when graphics moves, and if hard drive is plugged, you see his activities on the XT-XF led too, well a nice melting pot of noises
          so, i smell a coupling issue. now, i think i really need to buy an oscilloscope... i can't go further without seeing what happen on the isa lines.

Comment

I am getting 5V/12V/-12V from the 2011 direct, I have provided for -5V but not installed the regulator.

I could not get any XT IDE working apart from XTIDE v1.1.5 with full mode disabled. This was an issue I could replicate in PCem.
            SCSI/Audio/Network no issues though.
            Extra load is <200mA max,

Picture of OPTI Soundcard

This was taken when I had a different sound card installed.

Comment

nice, so your design at least work.
              maybe i'm getting noise via the DC-DC converter...
              for the moment, it can't even boot with a 16 bit card plugged in. i got error code 102.
              i'm gonna try with only 5V provided by the 2011 and see what happen.
              and maybe using 60cm cable is problematic too.

i'm waiting for my oscilloscope

Comment

well, in short : using only 5V from the PS/1 > not good too.
                i received my oscilloscope, and the 5V i provide is clean on the acu card, and become garbage on the riser.
                and mostly everything become garbage on the riser side... maybe a ground loop, crosstalk and too long cables, and so...

i reworked a bit on both card, added separated cable for power, as mixing power and small signals in the same cable is maybe not a good idea
                reworked routing from 50 pin connectors to isa slot, as i used only one face of the pcb to route them, so very small space between traces (0.1mm... maybe possible crosstalk here, specially with CLK and OSC signals...). i alternate between front and back, this may help a bit.
                and i grounded all together, trying to give a priviliegied way for the 5V i provide.
                and btw, i removed the 5V comming from the PS/1, if i didn't connect them together before, they can meet via an expension card and... making a nice short...
                then i'll try with 30cm cables, this may help too, specially with clock signals.

lot of things i don't really think about... learning pcb design is really fun

Comment

It is fun thats for sure.

I was a little concerned by your 5V only comment, so I rigged up a bare spare ISA board with voltmeters to see whats what.
                  And I am getting -12V, 12V and 5V out the ISA slot.

Comment

the real question is how many watt you can draw from this 5V line without burning motherboard traces. it's not documented, ibm don't say what's the purpose of this 5V rail.
                    they say the original ACU convert 36V into 5V, and also say 5V can provide 4.2A. but we don't know if they mixed the motherboard rail with the ACU 5V, or if he only serve to power, let's say the fan of the ACU for exmple.
                    but i guess for two little cards, the 2011 5V may be enough.

Comment

i forgot, that's my rework for now. this time i'll use 1,27mm pitch smd IDC header, this way i can separate each signal with one or more ground return in the cable.
                      and with the space i can get, i can put a stronger 7905 giving 500mA.

the harder is to find the 100 wires flat cable... for the moment, i can't find it with a decent price. from my regular suppliers, they only sell it in 30m reel, and it's really really exepensive.

Comment

Very nice

True you do have to be careful of power draw , I was just following the same riser design on 2 slot riser, like in DavejustDaves PS1

Comment

new pcb's arrived

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l_7NG2Bnho

better, but can't play pcm samples... don't know if it's on my side, or if this card is picky on 286 systems.

Comment

looks like things start to be good : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1SwopbXGZA

Theoryboy : like you, i can't get the xt-cf v 4.1 to work.
                            i tried it without CF, rom screen never happen. but i get a ton of activity on the led... and for me, it's noise... ton of noise.
                            did you have the same thing with the ide version without any drive plugged on ?

because now, i don't understand why noise only affect this card and not others... make no sense to me.
                            i don't know if it's a flaw of the xt-cf himself, or an issue with it and this ps/1 in particular, or my design... i'm lost

Comment

Working...
                            X