Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Why the bleep is eBay so expensive??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the limit for First class was 16oz (or 15.9oz)?

Tipc I use USPS first class shipping for all my small items and cables, yes it s by far the cheapest, but for actual Parcels? Its pretty damn expensive. For most of the lockdown Fedex Home has been the cheapest, but as of late its UPS (today by about $20.00 savings). I used to use USPS exclusively when I sold Business Class computers online. Flat rate boxes I did pretty well. But times have changed and so has my merchandise.

Comment

Not 1st Class - Priority Mail box. All you can stuff in a box for one rate. 3 to 4 days on delivery. Very good deal.
      Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Comment

If you have some sort of commercial account first class can be up to 16 oz. or some crud. But for normal plebes, it's 13oz. Unless they're lying to me.

Comment

I've learned a simple trick on Ebay to always "Watch" an item first, and for items with no rush to purchase required due to demand/ scarcity it almost always yields me a seller discount offer within minutes to maybe an hour. Generally some kind of generic 10-20% off discount, but it almost is a 90% assurance of happening with major sellers. That usually covers shipping. And it allows for making a direct counter-offer that does not show up as an offer to the masses which could trigger other watchers into buying. Ebay requires some psychology knowledge of how people act/react in competitive auction environments. And that includes sellers too.

I often look up sellers, see what they are selling, and how much they sell so that I can judge how likely they would be to accept certain offers. My methods do seem like a lot of work, but it surely pays off for me in cost savings. I don't get everything I'd like, but I'm always pleasantly surprised how easy it can be to talk down a seller, especially bigger ticket items they have held on to for too long. Or the people obviously offloading an estate.

Comment

Lol, you assume too much. The mark up always covers the cost of you percieved discount. Sellers are making good coin knowing that buyers believe they are getting a deal.

Ymmv

Originally posted by Airxx View Post
            I've learned a simple trick on Ebay to always "Watch" an item first, and for items with no rush to purchase required due to demand/ scarcity it almost always yields me a seller discount offer within minutes to maybe an hour. Generally some kind of generic 10-20% off discount, but it almost is a 90% assurance of happening with major sellers. That usually covers shipping. And it allows for making a direct counter-offer that does not show up as an offer to the masses which could trigger other watchers into buying. Ebay requires some psychology knowledge of how people act/react in competitive auction environments. And that includes sellers too.

I often look up sellers, see what they are selling, and how much they sell so that I can judge how likely they would be to accept certain offers. My methods do seem like a lot of work, but it surely pays off for me in cost savings. I don't get everything I'd like, but I'm always pleasantly surprised how easy it can be to talk down a seller, especially bigger ticket items they have held on to for too long. Or the people obviously offloading an estate.
            Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

Comment

Originally posted by tipc View Post
              If you have some sort of commercial account first class can be up to 16 oz. or some crud. But for normal plebes, it's 13oz. Unless they're lying to me.
              I think they are lying to you as I have been using the 16oz threshold for years. Read the bottom most line in this photo. 1stclass.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 8008guy View Post
                Lol, you assume too much. The mark up always covers the cost of you percieved discount. Sellers are making good coin knowing that buyers believe they are getting a deal.

Ymmv
                That is a given, but as opposed to just buying the "Buy it Now" price, you are saving some money which you would be stupid to pass on. Of course the sellers have a lower price that they are willing to accept. Not all items have the ability to make an offer though, which is how sellers protect themselves from that impulse to just get rid of something. Nothing is "free" unless you go collect scrap. I believe the Ebay world is best when both parties win. I'm not trying to screw any seller over.

There is what an item is worth, what an item will sell for, and what an item is valued by the shoppers. Notice I don't mention what it is valued by the seller; that factor is really moot. Sellers can put any price they want on an item (based on reality or not, as many of you have pointed out above). Sellers can put a bunch of keywords and catchy phrases on an item and slap a big old price on it.... however it means nothing if it doesn't align with the three factors above. Most items sell for below their "worth". That discount is what the market will actually pay. The value to a shopper is a variable factor that depends on individual need. An IBM 5150 in perfect condition has a worth, and an average price it sells for. That same computer will be worth far less to me since I have several already and am not really looking for one now. BUT... if the price is too good to pass on, I might bite. A person wanting a 5150 though will have a much higher value assigned than me. And this is why the auction prices can get out of hand because the stars align with several bidders all present and having set a higher value.

Sometimes there is no market at all for items. I "accidentally" bought a like new Dell laptop the other day for just over $10. It was a $0.99 opening start that someone threw a $10 bid on. I assumed it would be selling for far more and tossed a tracking bid on so I could follow the auction. I bid $15. Figured it would sell for over $100. Instead, there was no interest in it at all and even the first bidder was clearly doing what I was and just tracking it. I won it. So I got a beautiful Core2Duo XP era lappy with all the bells and whistles which will make a lovely retro gaming portable. Pure accident. Clearly all the factors ended up aligning with my shopper value, which was far below the other values and averages... so lucky me.

I don't feel sellers take advantage of me too often, but YMMV. Ultimately, the buyer is in control. Sellers cannot force the money out of you. Remember that and bid accordingly. And if you can never seem to win anything, you probably are needing a calibration of how you value things.

Comment

I think the point is moot if people who only use eBay to buy things try arguing both sides.. Cant have your cake and eat it to.
                  Yes there are bad sellers, but eBay is RICH beyond wealth because of the money they collect from SELLER FEES... Sellers make eBay function... not the other way around.

Comment

Someone may have already made this observation, but I'm not going to scan 140 replies to find out.

A major factor is what's "in," especially with the vintage gaming crowd. They're after 386 systems, but most of them go for a 486, preferably a 486dx2-66. I was looking for that, but only because that's the 486 I had many years ago; it's a sentimental thing. Another way gamers drive prices up is shopping for popular items, like Voodoo cards. I still have a Voodoo 3 3000 agp, and I could probably sell it for a good price on eBay, but I like it. Voodoo GL cards are in high demand.

I notice that Tandy 1000s shot up in price after they featured one on Young Sheldon.

I don't have much money these days, so I have to be strategic. As several others have advised, I checked my watch lists for something I can afford. Since I have most of what I was looking for already, from eBay sales 10 or 15 years ago with much lower prices, I'm in no hurry. If I wrote Santa, I would ask for a PCjr, PC portable, and Deskpro 386 (the original Darth Vader box). Oh, and a Model F AT keyboard. I saw a decently priced Deskpro 386 about a year ago, but I didn't have enough in my budget to buy that one. Ah, well. The Portables are also ridiculously expensive, running around $800+. I've even seen a couple advertised at $1200 starting bid/buy it now. Hard pass. And a working Model F, XT or AT? Fuggetaboutit.

That's ok, the apartment is getting a touch crowded anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
                      I think they are lying to you as I have been using the 16oz threshold for years. Read the bottom most line in this photo. [ATTACH=CONFIG]66955[/ATTACH]
                      If you go to ups.com and enter a package of size 20" x 20" x 20", 13oz., first class rate is offered. If you change it to 13.5oz., it's not. That's all I know.

Comment

I think most of us here are guilty of that.. We just didnt know in the 90's.
                        I once got a Zenith 286 desktop, with keyboard & monitor & software for $5. It was a local sale on eBay and the seller started at $5, and no one else even bid. The monitor was a matching Zenith EGA monitor too.

Great days...

Comment

I think the point is moot if people who only use eBay to buy things try arguing both sides.. Cant have your cake and eat it to.
                          Yes there are bad sellers, but eBay is RICH beyond wealth because of the money they collect from SELLER FEES... Sellers make eBay function... not the other way around.
                          That's the business model they've chosen. Anything else wouldn't make sense. They have to collect from someone. It sure as hell isn't going to be the buyer. It's the fact that people a) are willing to spend a certain amount of money on something, based on market value, when applicable (vintage collectibles don't have a fair market value, their value is completely arbitrary) or b) they can get a better price on ebay. Convenience has something to do with it also, and perceived protections. If no one is spending money on ebay, ebay ain't selling. Where or how they collect the fees is irrelevant. One could make the argument that it IS actually the buyer who's supplying the fees. The fees ebay collects doesn't come from the stratosphere.

Ebay, at least a significant percentage of the time (I have heard of exceptions) takes pains to protect the BUYERS. The seller be damned. That's their model

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                            I once got a Zenith 286 desktop, with keyboard & monitor & software for $5. It was a local sale on eBay and the seller started at $5, and no one else even bid. The monitor was a matching Zenith EGA monitor too.

Great days...
                            I once won a Zenith puter, no keyboard or monitor, for 1$. I was so ecstatic I promised the seller my first kid (still hasn't been born). Man was I happy. I eventually wound up throwing it out LOL LOL LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Kossow View Post
                              Enjoy that while programs still being developed continue to work on old releases.
                              Current releases of browsers are the worst for abandoning old machines, and of course the web keeps churning requiring the latest shiny.
                              Yeah, Chrome doesn't support WinXP any more. Some modern flavors of Linux won't run on a cpu that can't handle SSE (???) instructions.

... On the other hand you have sites like Winworldpc.com where you can get old versions of MS-DOS, CP/M, and even OS/2. One of these days I'm gonna pull out my DesqView/386 diskette and try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by tipc View Post
                                If you go to ups.com and enter a package of size 20" x 20" x 20", 13oz., first class rate is offered. If you change it to 13.5oz., it's not. That's all I know.
                                Might be the dimensions, see again in the photo it says max is 22" x 18" x 15" not 20" x 20" x 20".

Comment

Working...
                                X