Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Why the bleep is eBay so expensive??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
    So about the Covid thread?!
    just drop it. the Powers That Be decided it was heading into the handling of the Plague by the former administration

Comment

Ahh... Politics.. Yeah that makes sense. Never talk that or theology...

Comment

Case in point: https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-5161-XT...x/193939218899

Even on Ebay, I've seen complete 5161's with both cards and the cable for not much more than that.
        Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Exceter View Post
          Case in point: https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-5161-XT...x/193939218899

Even on Ebay, I've seen complete 5161's with both cards and the cable for not much more than that.
          A bit of a bump on this thread, but probably worth remembering that the auction in question was a UK sale. In the UK although the full classic IBM PC range was sold here it was a bit late to market, faced very credible domestic competition before the PC platform was spoken for and the prices were inflated with the odd 1:1 exchange rate which always seems to happen between GBP and USD over technology products. Then when cheap domestic IBM clones like the Amstrad PC came along the sale of actual IBM kit slowed even more from a position that was never fully developed in the first place. Fast forward to 2021 and genuine IBM hardware which was always more scarce than in the US at the time is even more so now and when it comes to things that were rare in the first place like 5161's any part of the system will sell for stupid money.

I only started on my 5150 setup in 2017 and the money I eventually spent to get a complete system (although admittedly it did include a 5154 EGA monitor which is very rare in the UK) could credibly have got you the full 'classic trio' of a 5150/60/70 with associated monitors and keyboards at US prices.

Comment

I think it's easy in the US to forget that outside of North America we are not exactly tripping over IBM PC's so the price reflects the scarcity in our local markets. It's the same here in Australia where you would think being that we had our own IBM manufacturing plant from around 1976 to 1997 that the supply would be better here but it's not. A large percentage of them were for export to Asia and whatever is left that went into the local market is tucked away in private collections. If you manage to find one in the wild you've done very well for yourself.

That price for the 5161 XT Expansion Card is spot on what I would expect to see locally if I was ever to see one.
            AtariPC.net
            Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series

Comment

Originally posted by Flamin Joe View Post
              That price for the 5161 XT Expansion Card is spot on what I would expect to see locally if I was ever to see one.
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/333953173391
              Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamin Joe View Post
                I think it's easy in the US to forget that outside of North America we are not exactly tripping over IBM PC's so the price reflects the scarcity in our local markets. It's the same here in Australia where you would think being that we had our own IBM manufacturing plant from around 1976 to 1997 that the supply would be better here but it's not. A large percentage of them were for export to Asia and whatever is left that went into the local market is tucked away in private collections. If you manage to find one in the wild you've done very well for yourself.
                Yes, same in New Zealand. By the time NZ businesses started buying PC-type computers, Asian XT clones were online and at about 2/3rds the price.

Tez
                ------------------------------------------------
                My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
                My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
                Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Comment

I understand why the prices would be higher in your local markets but eBay is a global market.

Comment

I understand why the prices would be higher in your local markets but eBay is a global market.
                    Well that's wonderful. I got a quote on a 80 GBP Amstrad 6128. The shipping is 200 GBP. Somehow that gave me a pause

Comment

An Australian plant was needed to supply IBM PCs to Asia? Curious why they didn't just build the plant in the Phillipines or even Singapore. Many ics were already manned there I thought.

Anyone know how many 5150/5160s were sold in Japan?

Did Research Machines gain any traction in Australia?

Comment

Originally posted by tipc View Post
                        An Australian plant was needed to supply IBM PCs to Asia? Curious why they didn't just build the plant in the Phillipines or even Singapore. Many ics were already manned there I thought.
                        Why build a new IBM manufacturing plant in Asia when you already had one well established in Australia which had been producing IBM Selectric Typewriters since 1976? I think it just made financial sense at the time especially considering before the IBM PC was released they had invested more capital in expanding the Wangaratta plant in 1979 to increase production. They basically had a well trained workforce and facility ready to go.
                        AtariPC.net
                        Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series

Comment

So the preexisting plant was built to supply Selectrics to the Australian market I take it. That then makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by tipc View Post

Anyone know how many 5150/5160s were sold in Japan?

Did Research Machines gain any traction in Australia?
                            I dont think very many as speaking with someone in JApan, they are non existent and he'd never seen nor heard of a PCJR

Comment

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
                              I dont think very many as speaking with someone in JApan, they are non existent and he'd never seen nor heard of a PCJR
                              Seems IBM Japan had some regional models with hirez graphics and Kanji support:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_5550
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_JX
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_System/55

It kind of makes sense. Why would anyone buy a computer that can't be used for preparing and printing documents?

Comment

It doesn't matter. Someone in the UK or Australia is going to charge UK or Australia prices because they know that's what they can get from a local buyer. They don't care what it sells for anywhere else and they don't have to. If you don't want to see items from outside your country on ebay, there are settings you can change to make that happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X