Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Why the bleep is eBay so expensive??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess when seller can confirm the item is working and provide photos to prove it, it commands a premium, as you derisk your purchase.

I recently bought an IBM PC XT 5160 for 120$, mostly because it had many scuffs on the cover and it wasn't turning on.

PC Speaker assembly broke off and knocked off a memory chip. Once I reattached PC Speaker assembly, straightened pins on knocked memory chip and reinserted it, it still didn't work.

It turned out that it's the good old C56 short. Once I removed it, everything started to work! But it could've been a total lemon, so risk was high.

Comment

eBay does provide a certain level of protection against a seller peddling faulty crap not listed as such. Too many sellers think they can just put 'untested' on a listing and use it as a get out of jail free card to avoid a return when selling faulty crap. More often than not though they've listed the item under 'used' which must then work and so the buyer is still entitled to a refund. When taking a punt on this stuff I don't mind paying a little bit more to buy from eBay vs FB Marketplace or similar to know that I have a bit of protection.

Best way to get a deal is to look at collection only offers. It does astound me how much within the UK (where you can credibly travel halfway across the country and back again in the same day, and pretty much anywhere at all and back given two days) the primary concern of many buyers is that the seller will ship the item and this in itself will heavily inflate the price as a shipped computer is always more popular and attracts more bids than a collected one. Surely there can't be that many people involved in this hobby that can't drive and don't have a car? In which case just be willing to use your days off to go and collect things, the cost of your fuel is almost always much less than waiting for an example with shipping to come along (if it ever does). I've lost count of how many items I've got for a steal for no other reason than I was willing to collect them (often taking a couple of days and booked a cheap hotel to have a wander around the area. I've been to parts of the country that it would never have entered my head to travel to and had a great time on these little trips).

Putting aside that something is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it, and buyers & sellers have every right to trade at whatever prices they want, I do find the pricing strategies of some ebayers frustrating to the point of believing that something somehow should be done about them however. Been watching a Nimbus 286 for months (already have one but it's not very well). Originally listed for one price which was unlikely to be achieved anyway (and of course 'untested'), then a picture was added showing it powered up (but not actually in a bootable state - probably just dead CMOS battery but could also be dead hard drive or dead disk controller - neither of which are getting replaced these days and would make the system a paperweight unless you have the bits) and then suddenly the price was increased by £100...umm why exactly? Like what I am now being charged for the test? It's not like the extra picture even showed it working properly. Ever since the price fluctuates by +/- £15 but is still too overpriced to sell being that it is almost double what might be considered a current market price for a known working example. It may well be that the seller doesn't particularly wish to sell the item but would let it go for the highly inflated price as he'd be silly not to, but then teasing people with rare items which they don't appear motivated to actually get sold is extremely frustrating.

That and people splitting things up that were supplied together and need to go together to function really irks me...seen plenty of Amstrad PCs (where the base unit is useless without the matching monitor because the monitor contains the PSU for the computer and in turn the monitor is not really usable - not without work anyway - on any other machine) being split up and sold as two listings to try and eak out an extra buck (often failing in the process too).

All of that said, appreciation is natural as vintage hardware gets rarer and rarer. Although I buy this stuff because it is my hobby and I have no current plans or wish to sell any of it, it is equally true that I couldn't have justified the money I have spent (particularly in the last 5 years) if it were not for the thought of the collection also being an investment appreciating in value. Which by extension means the possibility of one day hoping to sell it for a higher price than I paid for it.

UK supply of retro hardware in particular is being hampered by two main issues; firstly the WEEE regulations have since about 2007 made it illegal to dump old computers in normal rubbish with them now classed as a specific type of waste which needs separate disposal. Then a few years ago the GDPR regulations which tightened up data protection laws have made businesses paranoid about the potential for any data breach from old computers. Thus to avoid any potential comeback virtually no business will dispose of a computer any other way than through a licenced recycler so they have documentation as to where it has gone. Thus a forgotten storeroom full of IBM 5150s with no hard drives fitted anyway which might have made it out into the community (and make a happy back for the seller) will instead end up as scrap. So all we're left with are attic finds and existing collectors looking to capitalise on their previous investments.

Personally I've never stopped kicking myself over all the things I got for free/virtually free in the late 90's/early 00's and then chucked which today are uber-rare and uber-expensive.
      Last edited by cwathen; March 1, 2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-kun View Post
        I decided this is better to be in the hardware forum than the auction forum. I don’t think I’m succeeding at not wanting to rant.

I appreciate people who prevent vintage-out-of-production hardware from being destroyed, but I don’t see the asking prices on eBay being justified.

The secondary fan group that Computer Reset set up on Facebook (Computer Reset Buy and Sell) even explicitly states that the prices people ask for in that group be “well below eBay.” That’s a direct quote!
        Starting prices on E-bay are expensive for a number of reasons that combine to create a perfect storm...

1. you have items that are in limited supply, we know that no more genuine PC/XTs will be made, so the Chinese can't top up the Market.
        2. You have a huge audience of buyers. I am in the UK and I have bought from USA, Europe, Israel, Poland, India, China and Hong Kong. The global shipping program ensures it can be shipped any where. The more people fight over something the more the price rises.
        3. For "buy it now" you can never go up. You can only be talked down. Start stupid and see what happens.
        4. For Auctions, folks look at the last one and add 10% because theirs is worth more and they want to "realize its real value"...
        5. The starting/ buy it now prices on E-Bay can be used to inflate prices else where. List something for $1000 on E-Bay and then list on "Computer Reset" for $500 so its "well below e-bay".
        6. There are enough idiots out there that think they can con us into believing "anything old is valuable"....
        7. There are one or two things that whilst "vintage" may be needed by industry. Old DEC VAX fall into this category. Wait long enough and some one will buy it...

.. so whilst you may think the asking prices are "excessive" remember the old addage:-

Q. How much is an XYZ in perfect condition worth?
        A. Are you buying or selling.......

or as my dad used to say, if you have to ask the price you can't afford it......
        Dave
        G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals.

Comment

Originally posted by cwathen View Post
          Personally I've never stopped kicking myself over all the things I got for free/virtually free in the late 90's/early 00's and then chucked which today are uber-rare and uber-expensive.
          I think most of us here are guilty of that.. We just didnt know in the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
            Face it, most people would rather spend a few more bucks buying through a popular site they know rather than searching for the seller's obscure little web store with a weird name like aliforigblargcee.cerm,
            Are there any people that actually sell vintage computers independently, from their own little web shops? I've looked for them, but I've never seen one.

Comment

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
              I think most of us here are guilty of that.. We just didnt know in the 90's.
              I wonder about this regarding technology in our time. It's really hard to imagine that anyone will want <something on your desk that is not vintage> in 20-40 years, but since we do for things that were produced 20-40 years ago, will they? Maybe an interesting discussion for another thread?

Comment

We are seeing it now. People are talking about pentium 3 and I cant believe it but Pentium 4's on here. I still consider them junk.
                But yes, its a possibility. I dont however see hobbyists repairing P4 multi layer SMD boards though.. I really dont.

Comment

Buy It Now prices are more likely to be inflated now that many sellers are offering private discounts to anyone who puts the item in their watch list and lets it sit there for a while.

Also remember that eBay always reports an item as being sold for its full Buy It Now price even if the seller accepted a best offer or offered a discount to the buyer. So if you list an item with a price of $500 and then accept a best offer of $100 on it, the eBay listing will falsely report it as being sold for $500. This inflated the perceived value of many items when sellers look up the values of previous sales and then use that as a basis for their new listings.

Comment

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
                    We are seeing it now. People are talking about pentium 3 and I cant believe it but Pentium 4's on here. I still consider them junk.
                    But yes, its a possibility. I dont however see hobbyists repairing P4 multi layer SMD boards though.. I really dont.
                    Sometimes it's frightening to consider how much time is going by and how old some of this 'not yet old enough to be vintage' stuff actually is. There are legal adults who were not born when the first Pentium 4's were first introduced. My first brand new laptop which I got in 2003 (a Toshiba A30-something) was a Pentium 4. It is now 18 years old. I still have it and it still works but I haven't used it as my daily laptop in over 10 years. I was holding onto it for sentimental value (not like it had any monetary value) but then I'm wondering if that is starting to turn. I've got a shelf full of boring Dell/HP Core 2 Duo desktops (and one Core 2 Quad which was my daily driver until about 5 years ago). Hardly vintage - a load of that sort of hardware is still in front line use - but they are actually getting quite old now, and I am holding on to them with a view that they might be tomorrow's retro machines. They might be 10 a penny now, but if people keep shipping them off to recyclers when replacing hardware then eventually they will become rare.

I don't know whether there will truly be the same level of interest in this sort of hardware as PCs have largely become generic commodities rather than specific models being sought after, but anything that can be collected, will be. There will be someone who prides themselves on collecting a working example of every 00's Dell Optiplex SFF machine ever made and if you just happen to have the one on the shelf which they are looking for in a world where they have become rare then it will be worth something to that person.

Although that said, there is always room for sentimentality. Even in the mid 90s PCs were similarly commoditised but I'd still pay a premium to own an AST Advantage 7301 (or similar such as 7302/3) for no other reason than I used to own one which I got brand new and would like to again as I always loved that machine (still to this day have the AST-branded mousemat that came with it). Even though it's just a fairly dull and generic mid-90's Pentium I machine of which I already have several other examples at similar spec.
                    Last edited by cwathen; March 1, 2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I dont care how good you are and how well stocked your electronics bench is. I really think its unlikely hobbyists will be repairing VLSI IC's on Pentium 3 or 4 boards in 2038.... They were meant to be thrown out. For that matter if there is a serious system board problem on a 120Mhz Toshiba Libretto how far can you take it to fix the issue?

Comment

There is a ton of inventory available for cheap if you spend time trawling and using many different key words in your search. Plus doing this daily for weeks on end will yield a lot of results. Simply a matter of return in investment. IMO. There is also a huge world outside of eBay (OfferUp, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, forums and on and on the list goes). Good luck and have fun.

There is also a significant amount of R&D and production of obscure technology and/or emulation out there compared to 10 years ago. So IMO there is not really an issue.

Comment

offerup and letme go have been HORRIBLE. Why? its geared towards young people who only use their phone and are non committal. I replied to DOZENS of ads and many times I said "yes Ill take it, where can we meetup?" And they just make excuses and excuses and never want to actually do anything about selling it. Its like they never really wanted to , in the first place. Forget asking them to ship!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-kun View Post
                            BIOSTAR MB-1212V VLSI AT MOTHERBOARD W/ 286-12MHZ CPU + 1MB RAM
                            $400+$24 shipping
                            https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOSTAR-MB-...-/123543534170
                            rofloffer.png
                            Oh, wow! What a great offer, $319.99, a whole $80 off!

...of a random clone 286 motherboard with no ram, and no good close-up to see if there is corrosion around the battery. Well, at least they do make a big deal about a warranty.

I dunno, I kind of need to pay my health insurance bill.

Comment

I just wait for a good price. There isn't much you can do sadly. That's what I do and I can find some gems, though nothing that is too big, shipping to Canada is sooooo expensive. The shipping is usually the same price as the part I want, so I cannot buy that and I do need that money to live, so yeah, ebay is a no for me when it comes to anything too big.

Comment

Originally posted by vwestlife View Post
                                eBay always reports an item as being sold for its full Buy It Now price even if the seller accepted a best offer or offered a discount to the buyer. So if you list an item with a price of $500 and then accept a best offer of $100 on it, the eBay listing will falsely report it as being sold for $500. This inflated the perceived value of many items when sellers look up the values of previous sales and then use that as a basis for their new listings.
                                How is reporting $500 when it sold for $100 not illegal?
                                Sattinger’s Law: “It works better if you plug it in.” 🤯 Corollary: “It works even better if you plug it in correctly.” 🤯🤯
                                "The simplest solution is the most likely solution." --My paraphrase of Occam's Razor
                                "You can get [a computer] like yours at a garage sale for, like, fifteen dollars," --Strong Sad, sbemail #33

Comment

Working...
                                X