Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Why the bleep is eBay so expensive??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cwathen
    replied
    Originally posted by Exceter View Post
    Case in point: https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-5161-XT...x/193939218899

Even on Ebay, I've seen complete 5161's with both cards and the cable for not much more than that.
    A bit of a bump on this thread, but probably worth remembering that the auction in question was a UK sale. In the UK although the full classic IBM PC range was sold here it was a bit late to market, faced very credible domestic competition before the PC platform was spoken for and the prices were inflated with the odd 1:1 exchange rate which always seems to happen between GBP and USD over technology products. Then when cheap domestic IBM clones like the Amstrad PC came along the sale of actual IBM kit slowed even more from a position that was never fully developed in the first place. Fast forward to 2021 and genuine IBM hardware which was always more scarce than in the US at the time is even more so now and when it comes to things that were rare in the first place like 5161's any part of the system will sell for stupid money.

I only started on my 5150 setup in 2017 and the money I eventually spent to get a complete system (although admittedly it did include a 5154 EGA monitor which is very rare in the UK) could credibly have got you the full 'classic trio' of a 5150/60/70 with associated monitors and keyboards at US prices.

Leave a comment:

• Exceter
    replied
    Case in point: https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-5161-XT...x/193939218899

Even on Ebay, I've seen complete 5161's with both cards and the cable for not much more than that.

Leave a comment:

• VERAULT
    replied
    Ahh... Politics.. Yeah that makes sense. Never talk that or theology...

Leave a comment:

• Al Kossow
    replied
    Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
    So about the Covid thread?!
    just drop it. the Powers That Be decided it was heading into the handling of the Plague by the former administration

Leave a comment:

• VERAULT
    replied
    Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
    Why was the COVID thread locked? I was following it early a few days ago but dont know what happened. I just checked its locked. Didnt seem to end on a controversial tone...
    So about the Covid thread?!

Leave a comment:

• animekenji
    replied
    In addition to my reply above, I have to say that some sellers are hopefully optimistic that someone with more money than sense will click the BIN rather than participate in an auction that they might lose to a sniper in the last 3 seconds. Also, there are a lot more flippers price gouging on ebay than there used to be. The problem is that when someone who isn't a flipper has something to sell, they see those prices and figure that must be what they sell for and they set their prices the same, and that becomes the new price forever. It's getting to the point now where you're better off making deals face to face with local sellers who are collectors themselves, and aren't looking for a quick payday, than you are going on ebay.
    Last edited by animekenji; March 22, 2021, 03:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• animekenji
    replied
    If there is something that you want on ebay, but the price is more than you want to pay, just wait. Unless it is an ultra rare item that you might see come around once in 10 years, you will see one again for a more reasonable price. I never overpay for anything on ebay, I do place a value on my waiting time, however. If paying 10% more than my personal valuation of an item saves me two years of waiting time for the next one, then I may grab it because there is no guarantee that the next one will be any cheaper and I will have wasted 2 years of my life waiting for the next opportunity to purchase it. Waiting 2 years to pay $95 for a $100 item is also not worth it. The discount isn't enough to compensate me for my lost time when I could have been enjoying the use of that item.

You also have to figure shipping into whatever you are paying for the item. There is a widescreen CRT monitor made by Intergraph that I have been wanting for a while. The last few that were on ebay sold for $100, but had a $200 freight charge attached to them, which drove the price out of my valuation range. Items that are heavy or bulky enough to require freight delivery, also will not be shipped directly to your house. They almost always require a loading dock and the driver will not help with unloading. If it's a palletized item, you will need a forklift or pallet jack to get it off the truck. If you don't have a loading dock at your location, then you will have to collect it from the freight depot, which may be a hundred miles away depending on where you live, and it sucks if your only transportation is a Honda Civic. You will then have to rent or beg someone for a truck to go get it. Unless you can source something big locally, it's generally not worth it to have it shipped by freight carrier.
    Last edited by animekenji; March 19, 2021, 06:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• VERAULT
    replied
    Why was the COVID thread locked? I was following it early a few days ago but dont know what happened. I just checked its locked. Didnt seem to end on a controversial tone...

Leave a comment:

• Unknown_K
    replied
    Originally posted by DDS View Post
    A while back I noted one seller saying he/she was no longer selling complete systems because shipping was a hassle.

Different strokes......
    More money parting out the important stuff and less of a pain to ship I would think.

Leave a comment:

• Mad-Mike
    replied
    Wow, I have a lot of thoughts on this thread.......I've been an E-bay Seller since 2005, and a buyer since 2003, and 90% of what I do has been related to vintage x86 IBM Compatibles.

Well, I think we all know how it got here. Vintage x86 Hardware is now hot stuff, there's ton of YouTubers doing videos on it now, not just myself (creepingnet) once every 2 years. I've noticed VOGONS has gone from a "let's get this game running on my new i7" forum to a "let's get this vintage 80486 running" forum. Not to mention all those clickbait articles on the internet that are like "15 things you might find in your attic that will make you rich!" and of course #blah is "old computer" and has a picture of like, a 1990's Mac or a 1980's IBM. It's hot stuff ATM. So funny to me because I remember there was a time when I could buy a whole thrift shop out for $20, got chastised by people for having a "PC Jurassic Park", and could treat this stuff like throwaways at times (which with my current skills I wish I had not in a lot of those cases).

Personally, as a buyer, I had to adapt to the new ecosystem. So when I went to look for a DOS laptop, I picked a model that had a "fatal flaw" (cracking plastic) that nobody would want but a willing researcher like myself, and I started kicking those laptops up left and right for $20-75 all day long. Now they are going up because I post too much about them probably. I go for AS/IS, untested stuff I have to fix. My photo galleries really show a lot of that kit-bashing of NEC Versa to get 4 good working examples - which I finished last night BTW with the help of two resistors and a N.O.S. $20 800x600 LCD Panel.

I was told, I think by someone on VOGONS, that BIN stands for "make an offer" - well, I hate to tell that person that's incorrect. I've offered as liittle of a discount of $10 on a $75 item, and either got no answer or "Sorry, I can't do that" or "Lowball". They told me this was specifically true of ridiculously high prices, like an IBM XT for $10,000, or that XT clone that was on there for $500 that looks like someone dragged it out of a swamp with a winch.....yeah right, they think they are selling Carol Shelby's personal Ford Mustang when they have a Fox Body LX with the 4-cylinder and automatic. "Nice Car" but it's not worth that much. If it's $10K then there better be something significant about it, like Bill Gates wrote Donkey on it, or it was Steve Ballmer's personal Deskpro 386 from 1986 that was used for marketing Windows/386 - and there better be proof other than a Microsoft Asset tag! C'mon, I know it's a ThinkPad with the butterfly keyboard, but is it really worth having it posted up for $10,599.99 for 7 years straight with no buyers? It was not even that expensive in 1994 when it came out!

Now, as a seller, I can say it's not as cheap as it used to be to sell a PC. I miss the days like 2005 when couriers were still cheap. I sold an IBM EduQuest back then for $75, and spent only $25 in shipping, and this was an AIO PC with a CRT built into it! Now just to sell two modern laptops I had to spend almost $50 in shipping, and got ****ed tender by PayPal and E-bay when I had to pull the sale because I could not afford shipping due to then unexpected, unrelated financial hardships! I've come to a point I might start using VC Marketplace or AmiBay to sell because I can use Venmo or someone other than PayFiend (PayPal) - whom I've been trying to get my account repaired for five+ months now, with little to no help. Seriously, **** PayPal!. Irritating because I was initally gong to use E-bay this year to sell some lesser used stuff in my collection - looks like that's not happening through evil-bay. I should not need to spend a total of 200 minutes on the phone (I counted them up) plus 10 e-mails just to get my account reset!

Leave a comment:

• DDS
    replied
    A while back I noted one seller saying he/she was no longer selling complete systems because shipping was a hassle.

Different strokes......

Leave a comment:

• cwathen
    replied
    Thought this was interesting...fully in the spirit of splitting things up, this seller appears to have had a complete IBM 5160 system and not content splitting off the 5151 and model F (the keyboard is listed at 300 which is certainly a gutsy price even if it is refurbished), he has also gutted the system unit into separate components that are all listed separately, with the empty case for sale at 130...certainly an interesting approach to try and maximise value, I'll give it that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-5160-Case-Only-Retro-Vintage-XT-Good-Condition-See-other-listings-for-more/203297849414?hash=item2f557f0046:gpQAAOSwqHNgQ8-B

Leave a comment:

• Casey
    replied
    I did that trick once; bought an XT clone cheap. The motherboard is meh (only 4.77Mz) but I scored a working ST238, Adaptec 2070a rll controller, herc clone, and two 360k floppies! Not to mention the case & power supply.

The seller would have made a lot more money by parting it out.

Leave a comment:

• tipc
    replied
    Probably. I was overrun with salvageable and non-salvageable parts.

Leave a comment:

• Casey
    replied
    Originally posted by tipc View Post
    I once won a Zenith puter, no keyboard or monitor, for 1$. I was so ecstatic I promised the seller my first kid (still hasn't been born). Man was I happy. I eventually wound up throwing it out LOL LOL LOL.
    Why? Didn't it at least have some salvageable parts?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X