Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Why the bleep is eBay so expensive??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charnitz View Post
    How can anyone buy (with the intent to keep shrink-wrapped) or sell shrink-wrapped products on eBay, especially at a premium? As the buyer, if you don't open it up to inspect it, it may contain a brick. As the seller, if you don't open it up and inspect it before you sell it, the buyer can claim it contained a brick and you have no photographic evidence you had the contents.

Also, is it really unscrupulous to sell something as shrink-wrapped without claiming it was never-opened? If is shrink-wrapped, but not claimed as never-opened, the buyer is the one that makes the assumption it was never-opened. Because of the verification problem, wouldn't everything have to be opened, inspected, and re-wrapped anyway?
    I bought a shrink wrapped edition of Windows 7 Ultimate last spring and it was counterfeit. I got a full refund including shipping from the seller and didn't have to go through PayPal or Ebay. There would have been no way to tell if it was legit even if the shrink was removed as it was all about the key.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-Fu fighting

Comment

Software is different , much easier to fake. Can't fake a motherboard, although I'm sure China has tried. You can fake "new" though. It's a hazard, but not a large one IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by tipc View Post
        Software is different , much easier to fake. Can't fake a motherboard, although I'm sure China has tried. You can fake "new" though. It's a hazard, but not a large one IMHO.
        The software was real. It was the key that was fake. When you think about it, it would be really hard to put out phoney Windows.

Comment

I got stuck with conterfit LM338k,s they were relabeled LM317's. The seller has sold thousands of items. Didn't even respond to me. They don't offer refunds.
          Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

Comment

Of all the vintage software I have bought from eBeh, I think I have only had one that was deceptively re-shrinkwrapped, but it had everything with it, and didn't cost more than a few bucks, so it did not matter to me.

I suspect some collectors may re-shrinkwrap boxes just to help protect them, or make them look nicer in a display. Nothing wrong with that as long as they do something, like including a business card under the plastic, or a sticker that would rip it, that somehow indicates it is not original.

Indeed, when buying it is sometimes better to see what is inside. Sometimes, what looks like a retail box may actually be a "network edition" that only includes manuals, not disks. In fact, I am eying one right now which I am uncertain if disks are actually included or if the shrink wrapped manual boxes were just part of a larger media kit.

Comment

I've been lurking on eBay for years and a lot of my collection has come from there, including an IBM 5162 for $200 shipped. It still boots from the original hard disk. I have a couple dozen saved eBay searches which land in my email inbox every morning and I go through them while drinking my coffee. It's become a part of my daily routine. It may seem like there aren't any good deals on eBay but there are. The reason you don't see them is because they sell almost immediately. What you see on eBay is the stuff that hasn't sold immediately because it's overpriced. Being the first one onto a listing takes a little bit of luck but it does happen. Sometimes it takes me 2 years to find things but I always find them sooner or later.

PS: I flew to Computer Reset so I can tell you from personal experience that the prices are beyond reasonable and the volunteers are great people who just want to see vintage hardware in the hands of collectors. I can't say enough nice things about them. I didn't fill a van or anything like that because I had to ship my purchases back to VT but I left with two big boxes of spare parts, manuals, and an IBM 5161 for $100. The shipping cost twice that. If there's a way for you to make it down there I strongly recommend that you do it.
              Last edited by Exceter; March 6, 2021, 08:54 PM.
              Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Comment

I sometimes find it informative just to watch items recently sold in the vintage computing section:
                https://www.ebay.com/dsc/Vintage-Com...H_Sold=1&rt=nc

Especially when some interesting item sold quickly, when I might want to grab photos.

Although, back to the original topic, who knows if the prices listed are actually what someone paid or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jafir View Post
                  Some of this even happened “back in the day” but I don’t think those examples were being unscrupulous, in certain instances.
                  Back in the day, software stores would routinely re-wrap returns and put them back out for sale. I know this because I worked at two, and until the Michelangelo virus scare of 1991, this was common practice. I've personally re-wrapped hundreds, if not thousands, of items (which is why I can spot factory vs. re-wraps pretty easily).

When those show up for sale, many people didn't know that was a standard practice, so they don't know they're selling something that's been rewrapped. My video will address this too.

Originally posted by charnitz View Post
                  How can anyone buy (with the intent to keep shrink-wrapped) or sell shrink-wrapped products on eBay, especially at a premium? As the buyer, if you don't open it up to inspect it, it may contain a brick.
                  There are various markers and indicators that you can use to tell if the wrap is still original from the factory. For people who can do that, there is a collector's buying and selling market.

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
                  I suspect some collectors may re-shrinkwrap boxes just to help protect them, or make them look nicer in a display. Nothing wrong with that as long as they do something, like including a business card under the plastic, or a sticker that would rip it, that somehow indicates it is not original.
                  I haven't seen anyone willfully indicate their item is re-wrapped.

Some software collectors intentionally rip the wrap off to verify contents, and don't care about collectible value. Another reason to discard wrap is to prevent imploding the box over time, but this depends on the box and the wrap. In any case, I will be addressing all of this in my video.
                  Offering a bounty for:
                  - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
                  - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

To be fair to Ebay sellers... the linked Ebay auction for the IBM AT opened at $300. That is a very reasonable price to open with. The fact it went to almost $1000 was due to overzealous bidding. Even so, if you are a collector and you are missing this one last item, and here one is complete, working, and with a library of software and manuals... it can be tempting. You can always make more money but retro PCs in collectable shape can be far harder to come by. Some times you just have to swing for the fences.

I personally hate the folks that try to sell me an item as "new" but they opened it out of shrink supposedly to verify contents. That is BS. It is a "used " item the minute the original shrink wrap comes off. If an item is truly new and in shrink, there is zero need to open to verify contents as the manufacturer is responsible for the contents at that point. I believe this is just another scam attempt to justify a higher price listing.

Even retailers have tried to sell "used" stuff as new before. I bought a computer at Best Buy for my wife and got it home, opened the seals and took out the PC, only to find a completed Registration card already filled out inside for an owner just a week earlier. Took it back and they protested mightily about it, and i finally invoked their "7 day, no questions asked" policy and took my business elsewhere as punishment. I'm sure they repackaged it and sold it as new again. I should have trashed the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Airxx View Post
                      To be fair to Ebay sellers... the linked Ebay auction for the IBM AT opened at $300. That is a very reasonable price to open with. The fact it went to almost $1000 was due to overzealous bidding. Even so, if you are a collector and you are missing this one last item, and here one is complete, working, and with a library of software and manuals... it can be tempting. You can always make more money but retro PCs in collectable shape can be far harder to come by. Some times you just have to swing for the fences.
                      To be even more fair to seller - he countered my offer with $600 on that listing. I would have taken it, but shipping made it untenable for me considering the weight, especially with the library.
                      I appreciate when a seller counters rather than declining something outright when they should use the lowest acceptable offer option when they list I'm stoked for the seller here - good for him!

Comment

One of things that bugs me on Ebay is the "seller refurbished" baloney. How do you refurb a CPU? Did the seller gently tap it with a rubber mallet while it was still mounted in the ZIP socket? And so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Orange View Post
                          One of things that bugs me on Ebay is the "seller refurbished" baloney. How do you refurb a CPU? Did the seller gently tap it with a rubber mallet while it was still mounted in the ZIP socket? And so on.
                          Clean off the heatsink compound and straighten and pins that need it?
                          What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
                          Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
                          Boxed apps and games for the above systems
                          Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
                            which is why my next youtube video is about this very subject.
                            Okay, what's your YouTube channel? Searching, all I get are videos for a hair metal band named "Trixter." Like Limozeen.
                            Sattinger’s Law: “It works better if you plug it in.” 🤯 Corollary: “It works even better if you plug it in correctly.” 🤯🤯
                            "The simplest solution is the most likely solution." --My paraphrase of Occam's Razor
                            "You can get [a computer] like yours at a garage sale for, like, fifteen dollars," --Strong Sad, sbemail #33

Comment

Dont talk smack about limozeen! Or trogdor...

Comsomate v's!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
                                Dont talk smack about limozeen! Or trogdor...

Comsomate v's!!!
                                Keep on Burninating my friend!

Comment

Working...
                                X