• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ethernet card stoped working when added a SCSI controller.

nintenloup

Hello,

So I have a Tandy 1000 SX that is getting pretty complex and I cannot find what the problem is so I'm asking for your help.

Before it had a ST11R card with a ST-225 hard drive (I know I know, MFM drive on a RLL controller(It worked falwlessly though)) and with the 3c509 ethernet card + the packet driver, everything was fine, the packet driver loaded and I could use the mTCP utilities.

Then I added a SCSI card, a ST-01 with a ROM revision of 3.2.2 iirc so that I could use my 44MB Syquest drive (removable cartridges has become a necessity for testing for me, imagine being able to just swap the os you run on a PC XT just by changing the cartridges of the syquest drive). Then I lunched the packet driver and then it hangs there

20210301_204837.jpg

Some info about the cards :

Ethernet: shown in the picture
ST-01: IRQ: 5.

Thank you.

Try running Microsoft's DOS 'MSD' and/or 'Check-It' and see where everything is at. I too run a SCSI card once in a while on my SX but I don't use a serial port as I have a bus mouse.

0x300 was a very common default IO port for early SCSI adapters. Try to switch your NIC over to 280

Ok, so after some testing, it seems that it's mTCP's dhcp that hangs there, reseau is a batch that starts the packet and then it lunches dhcp. That solves the packet problem, but now, the problem is why does mTCP's dhcp hangs there. The software interrupt in it's config file 0x60, which is what the card reports.

Last edited:
Does the ST01 even need an IRQ under DOS? Seagate's dox say no.

If you don't use DHCP, can you still ping using naked IP addresses? I had to move my packet interrupt to 0x64; 0x60 didn't work for me.

The doc that I have says that the ST-01 can use IRQ 3-5 or none.

I used interrupt 0x64 and 0x68 and still the same issue.

So forget DHCP for the moment. If you don't start DHCP (just start the packet driver), can you ping out to a known IP address? If not, then DHCP isn't going to work either.

You have an IRQ, port, or DMA conflict. You will have to inventory all of the cards you have installed and figure out where the conflict is. Don't just try random setting changes; determine exactly what IRQ and ports are in use. So far I see you've mentioned:

RLL controller: these are typically IRQ 5, possibly DMA 1
ST01: IRQ 5 (is the RLL controller also still installed?), typically port 300
Your NIC says IRQ 3, port 300 (conflict with ST01!)

This is just guesses from what you've mentioned. A full complete list of the cards you have installed, and the settings you're currently on, would help.

Back