• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Repairing DC2000 tapes with Plastibands?

compaqportableplus

Veteran Member
Before I go and remove the Irwin tape drive I installed in my COMPAQ Deskpro 8086, I would like some input from a more experienced person on this.

Over the past few days, I have attempted to recondition about 4 tapes with the SF-6000 plastibands, and all of them have completely self-destructed (the tape ended up wound around all of the tension band pulleys and crinkled badly).

I’m about ready to give up, but I really don’t want to, because these are neat little pieces of technology, and I would love to actually be able to use them.

Is there something else special I need to do to prevent this from happening? I really want to get a few of these tapes going! FYI: the capstan in my drive is perfect.

Thanks! I can provide pics if needed.

What size are you using? The DC2000 work best for me with the 2⅛" (SF5000) ones--and they have to be fresh. Old ones already start deteriorating. FWIW, the 4¼" ones work well on the DC600-sized carts. The 6" ones work not at all, as far as I can tell.

When you stretch a band, it should reduce in width evenly. Oddly, I find that the red ones work best.

I’m using the SF-6000 4-1/4" ones. So these aren’t correct? I saw where some people said they worked. Damn. I thought they seemed just a teeny bit too long.

I guess I’ll get some SF-5000s and give it another shot. Maybe there’s hope after all! :) Interesting about the red one working better.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, I’m back revisiting this. To keep a long story short, the SF-5000 bands didn’t work at all, they were even worse than the SF-6000s. They seemed too short and were VERY thin when stretched around the pulleys.

I ended up removing the tape drive from my Deskpro and Compaq Portable, but I still have the drives and have been thinking about this again lately.

I might order the SF-7000 plastiband variety pack and see if I can find one there that works.

Is there a better option than these short of attempting to boil the old belt, which I have little confidence in?

I REALLY would love to get these working and use them to make backups, but the damn tapes just won’t cooperate.

Okay, I couldn’t resist and ordered the SF7000 assorted pack. There is a 3-5/8” size in there right in between the two I have already tried, and I’m thinking it just might work.

Let us know. I've been looking for large TPU hair bands also, but haven't found a size that works well.
Also, these Plastibands age fast, so make sure that you're getting fresh stock.
I've already recommended a source for DC300-sized carts that works well. But the little ones are hit and miss.

Let us know. I've been looking for large TPU hair bands also, but haven't found a size that works well.
Also, these Plastibands age fast, so make sure that you're getting fresh stock.
I've already recommended a source for DC300-sized carts that works well. But the little ones are hit and miss.
I definitely will! I got them from an office supplies seller on eBay, so I really don’t know if they are new or older, but we will see.

I have seen posts on the web of people printing replacements for floppy drive belts. What I have not seen is feedback on how well those belts worked. But perhaps the same trick could be used to print the belt from a tape cartridge.

I don't think that those will work--people have tried. The TPU belts used in the quarter-inch carts is quite thin (think foil thickness) and very "stretchy". I suspect that any printed TPU will be far too thick.

Well, it’s a partial success I suppose.

As I suspected, the 3-5/8” Plastiband does fit far better than the 2-1/8” and the 4-1/4” and I can now run the “retension tape” process several times without the tape self destructing like it did before, however when attempting for format the tape, it’ll run for a little and then give a “format failure.”

My tape could be bad, but I don’t know for sure. It’s my last one, as I destroyed all of my tapes trying to get those other bands working.

I may try and get some more tapes at some point and see if I have better luck. The 3-5/8” band certainly gives me more hope than the last two I tried.

Back