• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TallgrassTech/SOTA286i 8088 Accelerator Benchmarks - Plus a Question

NoPizzaTonite

Experienced Member
So I have this Tallgrass Tech accelerator I recently purchased on Ebay. It works fabulously in my IBM 5160. Here are some Checkit benchmarks.

NORMAL Mode - 4.78Mhz EGA speed = 789 Char/sec Math Speed = 6.7K Whetstones
20210307_231828_resize.jpg

286 Mode NO CACHE - 8.98Mhz EGA speed = 677 Char/sec Math Speed = 6K Whetstones
20210308_005712_resize.jpg

286 Mode CACHE ENABLED - 12.35Mhz EGA speed = 3361 Char/sec Math Speed = 38.9K Whetstones
20210308_004531_resize.jpg

Super stoked. Blazing fast. Here's a couple of questions for those that might have a Sota286i or 386i:

I have to power on the machine with the switch UP in normal mode. After it boots up, I switch it to 286 mode and it warm boots on its own - everything works great from there. Ctl-Alt-5 switches back and forth. No issues.
If I boot with the switch in 286 mode, the machine stays on a blank screen.
I have JP5 jumpered only on Pin 1 (no math processor so Pin 2 is open)
(1) I'd like to use the driver so not setting the jumper, is this normal to have to power up in native speed mode and having to turn on 286 mode after it boots?

(2) There was a resister jumping a couple of pins in one of the connectors (see pic below). I took it out because the manual didn't have it in there. Does anyone know why this resistor would have been there?

Thanks for any light that can be shed on this!! :)

Sota286i_jumper.jpg 20210308_000257_resize.jpg

Awesome to hear that card is working, and you wasted no time testing it out!!

My sota 286 card has the same boot up behavior and I'm glad to hear a confirmation that it isn't just mine. I haven't spent too much time with it yet, but it's been on my list of things to try and figure out.

Awesome to hear that card is working, and you wasted no time testing it out!!

My sota 286 card has the same boot up behavior and I'm glad to hear a confirmation that it isn't just mine. I haven't spent too much time with it yet, but it's been on my list of things to try and figure out.

I have a couple more systems on the way so I figured I'd better get this one behind me ASAP lol - I was going to try the PC-Sprint when I have time next and see how that works out. :)

Back