• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hi from DK (and PS/2 ramblings)

datscharf

Hi every one!

I was the proud owner of an Atari PC3 back in 1987, all my friends had Amigas and they didn't pass a chance to tell me that their computers could both display more than 16 colors (at once) and had something resembling real music and sound effects. But I was very fond of my PC and started learning programming in GW Basic, moving to Turbo Pascal and then C++.

So I wanted to get that warm fuzzy feeling again and started looking for an 8088 machine, 5150 or similar, but seeing how rare and expensive they have gotten I started looking elsewhere and bid on a local auction for a PS/2 which I won. While waiting for it to arrive I started reading up on all things PS/2 related and to my concern found a great deal of posts about how problematic this machine is and its rare and proprietary components. But my conclusion is, that if you can live with the peculiarities its actually a very nice machine in a cute form factor with that special industrial eighties look.

Starting the machine when it arrived I noticed:
1. The screen (8504) was in perfect shape, its grayscale, but no burn-in and very bright and crisp image.
2. The floppy drive wasn't working - I have ordered components for a recap and will disassemble the drive and clean and lubricate it thoroughly.
3. The hard drive sounded weird and reported a 1790 error. "No problem" I thought, I will put in a CF ISA card instead seeing how rare these special IBM drives are. But after fiddling around with the machine reconnecting drives it just started to work. Don't know if the head got stuck over the years and just needed some exercise or the reseating of the cable did the trick. Now it works perfectly, and the drive is actually in very good condition with no bad blocks or anything.
4. The machine came with an Intel 8087 and a Siemens SAB 8086. I just ordered a NEC V30 for the fun of it.

I am now shopping for a color display preferably an IBM 8511, 8512 or 8513 but I am not very optimistic finding it here in Europe and I am not sure which ones where available as 220V/50Hz versions? Is it a realistic venture or should I just settle for a generic VGA/EGA CRT display?

Best regards
Martin

The 8511 and 8512 were poor color monitors. I recommend against using either even if you can find one. The 8513 is an adequate monitor good enough for the MCGA in color modes but it is quite small. A decent generic VGA display is the way to go and necessary if you choose to add an 8-bit video card to have color at higher resolutions since the 8513 is capped at 640x480 and MCGA color modes top out at 320x200.

I am presuming that your description is for a PS/2 Model 30, nothing else I can think of in the PS/2 line would have an 8087 and separate display. If it is a different model, different advice might be offered.

Hi krebizfan,

Thanks a lot, that is a valuable advice! Yes you are right the model is a PS/2 Model 30 (8086) with ISA bus and separate display. I will look for an 8513 then and a generic VGA monitor. It just getting harder and harder finding CRT monitors here in Denmark, and I am bit reluctant when it comes to shipping these fragile things.

Best regards
Martin

Hmm, I am unsure if something went wrong with my reply or it is still under review by the moderators? But nevertheless:

Thanks a lot, that is valuable advice! I'll settle for adequate as long as it matches the overall aesthetics :) But maybe I should also try to get a generic VGA monitor from that era.

You are absolutely right, and sorry for leaving that detail out, it is a Model 30 with ISA bus and separate display. And its gorgeous ;-)

Best regards
Martin

I am presuming that your description is for a PS/2 Model 30, nothing else I can think of in the PS/2 line would have an 8087 and separate display. If it is a different model, different advice might be offered.

What you need is an 8513-002, the -002 indicating an EMEA market one, with adjustments for Polar North magnetic influences. I have one here in the U.K., but I'll PM you a German contact's number, who's up near Hamburg and much closer to Denmark and still in the EU. ;)

Hi WBST,

That sounds very promising gives me hope of finding such a monitor here in Europe, and Hamburg is only a 3h drive from my city. And yeah, It has become a bit difficult buying stuff in U.K. with additional import taxes and VAT.

Best regards
Martin

If memory serves newbie posts are automatically moderated for a period.

At least you got a PS/2 with an ISA bus. Finding MCA cards is the trick these days, and they're bloody expensive.

>>> If memory serves newbie posts are automatically moderated for a period.

Yep.

Welcome to VCFED though...

Dave

Thanks a lot! I just got confused whether I posted or not, I know about the moderation of newcomers :). I am glad to be here as you all seem very knowledgeable and the forum is really active! Hope I can contribute at some point.

Yes I am really lucky as I bought it with no idea about model, content or the state of it. No biggie that the hdd is near unobtanium once it decides to give in, you can't keep these things running indefinitely, so I am going for an CF card adapter at some point anyway.

Best regards
Martin

Hi,
you may also consider replacing capacitors in PSU. thoses are proprietary form too... and it always worth it.
don't know your level in electronic, but you may consider low esr capacitors for those who work in the switching part of the psu, and regular ones with normal esr after switching.

Thanks for the tip whaka! Recapping is no problem, and have actually just fixed the floppy drive of this ps/2 by replacing the capacitors this weekend.
Crossing my fingers the psu doesn't contain a trillion caps ��, cause it takes some time doing it properly.

don't worry, if it's like the 286 variant, it's not very hard.
once you have drilled rivets :D

I HIGHLY recommend the 8513 if you can get one. I have one and it’s one of the nicest color CRTs I’ve had so far. It being smaller makes it fairly easy to manage as well (doesn’t take up a massive amount of room). Of course, nothing wrong with a bigger display either if you’ve got the room. I’ve personally always wanted the 8507, which is a monochrome 19” beast. I’d also like to get the monochrome version of the 8513 (the 8503) also.

Even though the 8512 may not be the best one out there, I’ve been thinking about getting one as they seem fairly cheap to buy still (and easy to find). Can’t be any worse than the worn-out piece of junk I have connected to my AT clone right now.

@compaqportableplus:
I just gotten contact with a fellow in Germany (thanks to WBST) who has a 8513 which I can probably buy next time I'm in the country. I am super happy about my 8503 which came with the PC, its so sharp and crisp, but I prefer colors if possible.
I envy you folks in US, there seems to be a lot more IBM stuff for sale over there! :)

@whaka:
Oh no, I hate rivets! :D. But I guess it needs to be done. Next up is the monitor...

Btw. anybody know a good replacement for the switches in the two button IBM PS/2 mouse (part number 6450350)?

Best regards
Martin

You may want to use an old IBM Thinkvision VGA screen. They did make them in Beige, although most were black. It's a good match for the model 30. Unfortunately CRT monitors will not last forever due to the CRT inside them, especially if used a lot. I've got a fair few PS/2 machines (2 x PS 30 Machines) and I've bought four IBM Thinkvision 15" or 17" models to use with them. They don't have any HDMI, so they are usually quite cheap to buy second hand..

Simmi

Back