• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 6901 "Personal Typing System"

jp!

I recently acquired an essentially complete and mostly functioning IBM 6901 "Personal Typing System" including keyboard, monitor, and printer. This system is a PS/2 computer similar to the IBM PS/2 Model 30 spec-wise. It was marketed as a dedicated word processor that also happened to be a general purpose PC that could run other business software. Think of it like a merger between the Wheelwriter typewriter and a general purpose PC. After a bit of overall cleaning and testing the hard drive does not appear to work (ESDI Hdd hopefully fixable with new caps) but the rest of the machine is otherwise functional. I booted up the diagnostics disk but I am missing the main program disk. I would really like to have a copy of the Personal Typing System main program disk if anyone happens to have that.

IMG_E0074.JPG

gettyimages-517352120-1024x1024.jpg

More pictures:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vintagecomputing/comments/m7qvw4/ibm_6901_personal_typing_system/

Other post on vcfed:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?59169-IBM-6901-quot-Personal-Typing-System-quot

Just a little update. I was recently able to acquire the original software for this system from an untested 30+ year old backup floppy disk from an eBay listing. It honestly was a gamble but an archive does not exist online and there is scant information in general about this system. I archived the floppy with WinImage and with a bit of messing around I was able to test some of the software with an emulator. I also have the manuals so I will try and get those scanned and uploaded somewhere online. Next I need to repair but likely replace the ESDI hard drive or install a 2nd floppy drive and also get this printer cleaned up which I assume works and then I will have hopefully have a 100% functional and complete package. One interesting feature about this software is a Typewriter app / task which from my understanding bypasses the word processor which lets you control the printer as it were a typewriter.

IBMPTS.png

IBMPTS2.png

Back