• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Drivers and manual required for Hypertech Hyperam 286

Flamin Joe

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I have this RAM expansion card which I wish to use in my IBM 5170 I've been slowly restoring over the years but I can't seem to find any drivers let alone the manual for it to work out how to configure it.

I've found the manual for the Hypertech Hyperam AT which at first I assumed the name had later morphed from the being the Hyperam 286 to a Hyperam AT but despite it having the same number of memory banks it has a different PCB layout with far less DIP switches not to mention DIP2 being in a completely different location.

So is there any chance someone has the manual or the drivers? The manual would be handy as I plan on expanding it beyond the 512K I believe it has installed already, but at the very least if I could get my hands on the driver (even for the Hyperam AT as it possibly shares the same driver) that would be a good start.

Attachments

• 20210325_070530.jpg
    20210325_070530.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210325_070544.jpg
    20210325_070544.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 2
We will return photocopies of original material i f requested. Mr. Pittman's article, "DOTS" (Kilobaud, April 1979, page 34) seemed the solution for my driver. 281 El35 73 282 El36 9E 2B3 E137 73 281 El38 BE 285 El39 73 286 El3A 30 287 El3C I borrowed a Centronics 730 Manual and an o'scope and began digging.

iMessage on PC

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't understand. :confused:
I reported the post earlier. Probably a spammer trying to get past the moderators. The post is selected text taken from parts of issue 36 of Ipso Facto magazine (found online), and obviously, has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

It seems I've managed to somewhat answer my question and at least been able to configure it so I can have 2MB of Extended Memory detected by the 5170.

I found this thread on Vogon's about helping to indentify the DIP switch settings and set about working out which DIP switch configured the starting memory address by installing it in a PC Chips M-209 296 Motherboard which thanks to it's BIOS actually tells you how much memory it has detected on the expansion card and which address it is currently configured for. Much like the author of that thread I discovered this Hyperam card also shares the same configuration settings as the AT-RAMBANK for the starting address and also in reverse.

I still need the drivers and manual (especially if I want to use EMS) but at least some progress has been made and potentially what I've found so far could help someone else.

Back