• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Barrel battery

animekenji

Experienced Member
I need a barrel battery for a A,T,&T 6300 Plus. Does anyone where to source these or if there is an acceptable substitute?

I need a barrel battery for a A,T,&T 6300 Plus. Does anyone where to source these or if there is an acceptable substitute?

do you mean lithium 3.6V AA battery? If so, ebay/amazon is full of them. I got one for my mac g4 and another is on the way for Compaq Portable II.

It's not the same as the purple PRAM batteries sold for many Mac models. I took it apart, and it's actually 3 button cells wrapped in plastic, but the button cells don't have any markings on them that I can use to determine which ones to use to make my own barrel battery.

As chuck pointed out, a simple CR2032 coin battery and holder will do. You need the diode to keep the motherboard from trying to recharge the battery. Lithium coin batteries are not rechargeable but last an incredibly long time.

On the 6300, my recollection was a rechargeable NiCd "barrel" battery. But I don't know what the "plus" used. It's the same case as the 6300/M24, but is not the same as the Olivetti 286 M28--i.e. not a 6310. It seems to be an AT&T product with standard ISA 8-bit slots, but incompatible ISA 16 bit slots. One thing that really killed this machine was its incompatibility even with software that ran on the 6300.

Last edited:
My pair of working 386 computers used barrel batteries, they were starting to leak and so were removed.

I used an AA-sized battery holder and used double-sided tape to hold it in. A diode and some wires were used to join it to the motherboard. The next time the battery needs replacing it's just a straight swap into the holder.

Back