• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5150 (Did I ruin the disk or the drive??)

Mumfred

Hello all, I have been piecing together an IBM 5150 for the last year. I finally fired her up yesterday and to my surprise, everything was working! (Even the hard drive)
The hard drive was spotty and was only working off and on so I replaced it with the appropriate B floppy drive. The B drive worked as well, and I had an old copy of DOS 2.1
in a book that I purchased and what do you know it worked too!!!

The issue started when I tried to copy the dos disk to a junk floppy in my B drive. The system no longer seems to recognize the dos disk, and give no error code on boot.
It just spins and boots to basic..... So I am wondering if my drive bit the dust, or if the disk was ruined in the process of trying to copy it?
Any advice would be wonderful.

Here is a pic of the old girl.
IMG_0136.jpg

so I replaced it with the appropriate B floppy drive.
Did you take care of the termination? Unlike with later floppy disk drives, you have SCSI-like termination here. The drive last on the cable must have the termination installed, the other one must not. The terminator is a blue dip "chip" with "T-RES" written on it. At least that's how it looks on my drive.

Did you take care of the termination? Unlike with later floppy disk drives, you have SCSI-like termination here. The drive last on the cable must have the termination installed, the other one must not. The terminator is a blue dip "chip" with "T-RES" written on it. At least that's how it looks on my drive.

Drive A is terminated in mine. The part of the ribbon that is seperated/pulled apart, is hooked to drive A and it is terminated.

Back