• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So I bought 3 Russian cpu's

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
Heard good things. Would be very interested in hearing any specifics about these (8086), manufacturing details and such. I don't even have a working pc at this point, except 1 or 2 Atari ST's. My AT&T 6300 was partially working the last time I plugged it in. Lessee my APC III also uses that chip, but it's currently dead to the world. Wish me luck.

That's cool. I have one of the Russian 1806 CPUs on the way (LSI-11 clone). Supposedly they are dog slow, but in this day and age the only way I'll ever afford a PDP-11 is to build my own 11/03 clone. :/

I've heard stories to the effect that soviet era eastern block chips do not fit western chip footprint. Purportedly leg spacing were converted from imperial to metric, then rounded off. So the first few legs will fit, but further away from pin 0, the greater rounding offset becomes.

I've heard stories to the effect that soviet era eastern block chips do not fit western chip footprint. Purportedly leg spacing were converted from imperial to metric, then rounded off. So the first few legs will fit, but further away from pin 0, the greater rounding offset becomes.

This is true. Standard DIP spacing is 0.1 inches, or 2.54mm, while the Soviet ICs are 2.5mm. If you use cheap wiper sockets you can probably get away with cramming up to a 40 pin DIP into a standard socket but the chip will be about a millimeter too short so more than that wouldn't be pretty.

Edit: I assume the chips in question here are K1810VM86's. Here's a blog post that shows the mismatch in length and other details.

http://www.mattmillman.com/projects/8od/k1810bm86/

It confirms that a cheap and nasty wiper socket will accommodate one.

I could always fabricate a small pcb. The guy just informed me it could take 2 months to receive them. Whatever. If I get them and they work properly I'll consider it a win.
Я МОГУ СДЕЛАТЬ ОШИБКУ

That's cool. I have one of the Russian 1806 CPUs on the way (LSI-11 clone). Supposedly they are dog slow, but in this day and age the only way I'll ever afford a PDP-11 is to build my own 11/03 clone. :/
You might be interested in my blog post 'Soviet PDP-11 Clones'. It is about the J-11 and F-11 CPU clones and the KDJ11-like CPU board the J-11 goes into.

I do know that many Russian factories still make nixie tubes though.
There are no original Russian factories still producing Nixie tubes. The Chinese still make some (or are still selling factory stock). Dalibor Farny has a business making Nixie tubes, but that is a fresh-from-scratch start. There have been a few crowd-funded attempts to make replica IN-18 Nixies, but that is neither the original factories nor the original equipment (part, but not all, of the IN-18 assembly line was auctioned off 10 or so years ago and vanished). There are still a lot of New Old Stock Nixie, VFD, and more esoteric displays available from former Soviet countries, but those are old tubes that have been hoarded.

You may be thinking of the Svetlana / New Sensor / Reflektor / Xpo-pul (take your pick) audio tubes which are still being manufactured.

What's the point of buying Russian clones of CPUs that are widely available as original parts?

There are no original Russian factories still producing Nixie tubes. The Chinese still make some (or are still selling factory stock). Dalibor Farny has a business making Nixie tubes, but that is a fresh-from-scratch start. There have been a few crowd-funded attempts to make replica IN-18 Nixies, but that is neither the original factories nor the original equipment (part, but not all, of the IN-18 assembly line was auctioned off 10 or so years ago and vanished). There are still a lot of New Old Stock Nixie, VFD, and more esoteric displays available from former Soviet countries, but those are old tubes that have been hoarded.

You may be thinking of the Svetlana / New Sensor / Reflektor / Xpo-pul (take your pick) audio tubes which are still being manufactured.

Yeah the audio tubes were what I was thinking of. Apparently my brain screwed up and I got confused between the two.

I could always fabricate a small pcb. The guy just informed me it could take 2 months to receive them. Whatever. If I get them and they work properly I'll consider it a win.

How is he shipping them? I ordered a Russian PC game recently that took less than 3 weeks to arrive.

Apparently the Soviets had what amounted to an 8-bit home computer based on the LSI-11 architecture, called the Elektronica BK. I think that's pretty neat.

The Russian market was flooded with Sinclair Spectrum clones back in the day. A lot of those are turning up on ebay in recent years. I don't know how you would use them, though, as Russian power outlets are 220V and round with 2 round prongs.

Last edited:
Back