Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Format with write protect on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The FDC should abort the format operation, which is what I find puzzling.

Comment

The BIOS format track operation does not verify that it actually wrote anything. The formatter follows up with a read/verify track operation, but usually only checks that sectors are readable, not the content. A formatter may check to see if things are written properly when it writes file system information.

All of those would return an error upfront if a write protect is detected. So it sounds like a write protect signal is just not getting to the motherboard.

So verify that the drive is generating a write protect signal, and verify that the cable is good.

Comment

Check(G) - I agree. My theory so far is that the FDC IC just doesn't write to the disk with a format command, but yet doesn't report an error either.

SomeGuy - Originally the write protect always indicated disabled, irregardless of whether the WP is on or off. The optical sensor was bad. I replaced it with an OPL530. Now it works as expected when doing everything but formatting. If I try to write to a write protected disk by copying or deleting a file, it will fail properly with a write protect error. The format however works differently, it will go through the motions of formatting, but does not actually change the disk sector contents. It then only fails at the end when it tries to write the directory. You can still read and run the files.

Comment

That the FDC itself responds to commands would lead me to check the interface (buffers and receivers) ICs first after verifying the cable connection.

A failed 765 FDC is not unheard of, but usually if they fail, they simply flat out fail.

Comment

I've got that bad 7417 that I need to replace - why would it see the write protect when copying a file, but not when formatting a track?

Comment

It could be the software that does the format. The FDC controller sees it but the software could be ignoring it until it did the first data write. Also, do remember, the response is for software to do something about. If the software just continued to the the format track and ignore the write protect status, it would look the same as the controller not seeing the write protect. Do remember the controller doesn't treat the format of a track the same as a write. it is a separate special operation of the controller.
              Dwight

Comment

But the format will abort and throw an error status that's hard to ignore.

Try starting a format and removing the floppy mid-way. If the format continues, that should tell you that the software (more likely the disk driver, as under DOS 3.3+ format is performed by the program calling an IOCTL function) is really stupid.

Comment

Dwight - I think the fact that it is treated differently (format vs. write) is maybe why it is happening. If I use the same format command on another system, it fails immediately when the write protect is set. My theory is that this particular FDC accepts a format command and doesn't respond with an error condition while other FDC's do.

Comment

Your FDC is a licensed clone of the NEC D765. I doubt that they did anything original.

Comment

I think I have a NEC D765 in my chip collection, I could swap it out and see if it behaves differently.

Once I get the drive running again (I've got to fix a 7417 IC), then I can try some of these tests and maybe we can figure it out for good.

Comment

Thank you--I think that we've beat this one to death for now.

Comment

Bad 7417 replaced with a socket and a new 7407. This fixed the motor drive, so the 360K drive works again. I connected up the GoTek as well, and they both work fine together again (before drive B: was staying light on at bootup). The motor runs irregardless of which drive I am accessing (360K or GoTek).

I tried to format a disk with write protect again and it still does not fail at the beginning, but goes through the motions of the format. Maybe a bit slower than a real format. I imaged the disk ahead of time, tried the write protected format, then imaged it again. Both images are the same proving it does not change any data on the disk. It still fails at the end of the format.

My controller IC is in a socket so i can easily try changing it, it says:
                          R6765P
                          15601-16

I have these 3 IC's I could try - I don't know which might be compatible or not:

NEC D765AC-2 8733KV NEC USA
                          WD37C65C-PL 00-02 9122 E 2509824-3505
                          WD37C65-PL 00-02 8745 051119101

Comment

Datasheet says that it's a NEC D765.

The WD37C65 is a very different chip that contains the "all in one" logic for the PC.

Comment

Okay; I'll try the NEC and see if it acts differently. I somewhat remembered the WD not being the same.

Comment

Same result with the NEC chip.

If write protect is confirmed to be working, is there any other signal that could cause this?

Could it be a BIOS issue? I know chris_nh tested it with a Tandy 1000 w/ 360k drives, but I'm not sure which Tandy 1000 that was.

Comment

Working...
                                X