• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

80287s available

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
While digging thru my "junk box", I pulled out an old anti-ststic bag that contained 8 x 80287-8 chips. One of them has Erik's name on it, for his new AT (if he wants it). I'm keeping a couple for myself, but the other five are available, first-come-first-serve. These are all good quality parts (Intel, ceramic DIPs). Any offer accepted...

--T

That's an awful nice junk box that you have. It has 287s, stacked chip memory modules for type 1 motherboards etc ...

I wouldn't mind 1 or 2 of the 287s for my AT systems.

The 286/287 combo is interesting. From what I remember a 287 runs asynchronously form the 286, while a 387 runs synchronously with the 386. Because of this difference, it's possible to write code where a 286/287 combo outperforms a 386/387 combo. (Hint: it would be 16 bit code, with heavy floating point usage.)

mbbrutman said:
That's an awful nice junk box that you have. It has 287s, stacked chip memory modules for type 1 motherboards etc ...
Yeah, I never know what I might find in there. I did turn up a whole bunch more stacked ram chips, some with different markings than the TI ones. The new ones are marked:

Mostek C 8508
MK4128N-15 (128K nmos-150 nano?)
IRELAND

...on the top chip and:

4464 HY
8505DDOE

...on the bottom chip. There are no "separator bumps" on the bottom chip, although there is an air gap between the two.
Would ya mind too much if I limit ya to just one per customer, at least till I see if anyone else is interested in them? Anyways, just pm me your mailing address and I'll let ya know the postage.
The 286/287 combo is interesting. From what I remember a 287 runs asynchronously form the 286, while a 387 runs synchronously with the 386. Because of this difference, it's possible to write code where a 286/287 combo outperforms a 386/387 combo. (Hint: it would be 16 bit code, with heavy floating point usage.)

The '386/'387 combo can run async too. I remember times when I ran a 32MHz/16MHz combo, if the mobo supports it (an option in the bios setup). IIRC, it would only work if the 387 was half the speed of the '386.
In fact, my very first '386 (a 16MHz AST, IIRC) had a 40-pin DIPP socket to use a '287 mpu, and no provision for any '387. Wierd, huh?

--T

Re: 80287s available

Terry Yager said:
While digging thru my "junk box", I pulled out an old anti-ststic bag that contained 8 x 80287-8 chips. One of them has Erik's name on it, for his new AT (if he wants it). I'm keeping a couple for myself, but the other five are available, first-come-first-serve. These are all good quality parts (Intel, ceramic DIPs). Any offer accepted...

That would be great!

BTW, I just got that CD in the mail today and I owe you for that. . .

Just tell me (PM) what you'd like for the chip plus shipping and where you want it sent (postal or PayPal address) and I'll be on it.

Thanks!

Erik

Re: 80287s available

Erik said:
Terry Yager said:

That would be great!

BTW, I just got that CD in the mail today and I owe you for that. . .

Just tell me (PM) what you'd like for the chip plus shipping and where you want it sent (postal or PayPal address) and I'll be on it.

Thanks!

Erik

On the house, for you. (Just a little thank-you for the service you provide, maintaining this board).

--T

mbbrutman said:

Since no one else has spoken up for one, I can go ahead and send ya a couple of 'em. Just need yr address. (Don't think the postage'll kill ya, I sent Erik one and it cost a whole $1.69, including the $.99 mailer. Couple buck$ oughta cover two of 'em in one mailer).

--T

Let's wait a few days ... sometimes I get behind in checking the forum here, and I'm sure it happens to other people too. (I don't want to corner the market!)

I'll send you mail offline ...

Back