• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5160 Odd Build????

frozenfire75i

Banned
I just picked up A nice IBM 5160 XT, It’s an odd setup! I Was Wondering If Any of you have seen 5160’s that look just like the 5150’s… this has no ½ height mounting case spots, has 130watt 5150 style power supply not the slant fan it’s straight, green 64-256 motherboard. with A date of Jun-1985. Is this all stock or has someone messed with it?

Thanks All, I have only seen a few 5160's thay must have all been newer then this. I was expecting all 5160's to have brown boards with 256-640 and the orther style power suppply. So is this an early model and thay were still building them like the 5150?

Mmm...I like greenies. As far as I know the 5160 and 5170 were all available in at least four different PCB colours (copper, dark brown, light green, dark green), and as far as I know they were all available with either a rough or a glossy finish. I may have also seen an AT with a white PCB once. The 5150 also came in a variety of colours, but I haven't seen enough of them yet. My 5150 board is a "B" type and is glossy copper.

I especially like the dark green PCBs with the glossy finish. My 5170 Type III motherboard is like that. I've seen pictures of 640k XT motherboards like that too.

I remember a friend of mine had a 1985 XT with a glossy light greenie motherboard. But, the strangest thing about this machine was that the case had a slightly different front bezel. The ventilation slots were squared rather than rounded. I've never seen another IBM XT like that.

Back