Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

IBM PC XT 5160 BIOS versions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fs5500
    replied
    This is screenshot of System Information for PC-TOOLS on IBM PC XT 5160

5160-0.png
    5160-1.png
    5160-2.png
    5160-3.png

Leave a comment:

• Moogle!
    replied
    As suggested by this list on Minus Zero Degrees, there is at least one that does not. The chips I mentioned in my previous post were just what I had on hand. Mouser sells them.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    IIRC, won't most 27256-type EPROMs work? Why an OTP one?

Leave a comment:

• Moogle!
    replied
    For anyone interested, I want to confirm that the ATMEL AT27C256R-45 One Time Programmable is compatible with the IBM 5160 64K-256K motherboard using the Mostek MK38000, though the machine does not benefit from the faster ROM as far as I can tell. The November 8th, 1982 BIOS was tested.

Leave a comment:

• SomeGuy
    replied
    Many generic ERSO style XT clones will happily accept IBM ROMs so people could add IBM BASIC. But not all clones are that hardware compatible. Doing that may not work at all or lose smaller features that were added to later clone BIOSes (For example, commonly in turbo 8-mhz 8088 boards you can lose keyboard turbo switching).

Leave a comment:

• PePe-fr
    replied
    I'm wondering if it's possible to "upgrade" a clone PC-XT by changing its ROM chip for an IBM one ?

Leave a comment:

• VERAULT
    replied
    can I upgrade my 5160 XT (256KB board) to accept the new bios which supports 720K and 1.2mb disk drives? What is involved? Right now I have to use a card with onboard bios to utilize a 1.44 drive.

Leave a comment:

• framer
    replied
    Just looked at the 5160 MB that I replaced the 12v line caps on.

This is a IBM 256 - 640 system board

U18 = 62x0890
    U19 = 68x4370
    dated 1986 no month shown

Chips stamped IBM

Leave a comment:

• fs5500
    replied
    I've tested with BIOS (08/16/82) on 5150 machine. (Of course IBM PC 5150/5160 emulator.)

It works well.

I think this BIOS is for IBM PC 5150 than 5160.

I've run PC-Tools on 5160 machine configulation with this BIOS.

The result is on screenshot.

According to PC-Tools, it recognize as IBM PC (Not IBM PC XT)

But PCTools recognize as IBM PC-XT correctly on BIOS (11/08/82)

Leave a comment:

• modem7
    replied
    Originally posted by nc_mike View Post
    would that board have the latest 4/86 BIOS that supports the 101 keyboards, and if not, can the BIOS be upgraded/flashed using a diskette?
    Both questions are answered at [here].

Leave a comment:

• nc_mike
    replied
    If I can get a PC/XT 256-640K system board that on the backside says "YB 620-6181655-01 94V-0 Rev 1 date on bio chips is 1981,85", would that board have the latest 4/86 BIOS that supports the 101 keyboards, and if not, can the BIOS be upgraded/flashed using a diskette?

Regards,
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• fs5500
    replied
    Hi.

I think "5000026" (08/16/82) ROM version.
    Before this, I've checked dumped of other IBM PC 5150 (Revision 3, 10/27/1982) and IBM PS/2 Model 25 (Revision 1, 06/26/87)

I found that ROM of IBM PC 5150 Revison 3 exists as 2 kinds. (One is copyrighted 1981, another is 1982)
    Also ROM of IBM PS/2 Model 25 Revision 1 exists at least 2 kinds. (One is 00F2092, another is 00F2122)

So I'm sure "5000026" ROM is not fake. (At least this must be prototype or beta, not for retail)
    But it is not only verified if this ROM is exist or not.
    I've checked checksum of 8KB.
    Checksum is correct as 00h.

IBM should replace ROM chip of "5000026" with "1501522", but the reason is unknown.

The more interesting thing is that BIOS data of IBM XEBEC HDC (5000059) is also same "08/16/1982"
    Last edited by fs5500; February 13, 2013, 05:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• per
    replied
    Originally posted by nestor View Post
    I read the bios chip of one vga card and my willem corrupted the EPROM! The contents of the backup file and the eprom after reading it were different. I flashed the backup file to a 27C512 eprom and the vga card worked again.

Don't trust the willem readers, they are not the most reliable!
    When it comes to BIOS files, you can just dump them using simple software routines.

When I dump other ROM chips, I allways use a card with a BIOS-extension ROM socket on it. For general 27xxx chips, I use some ethernet card, and for the more uncommon 8KB chips used in the early PC's, I use the ROM socket on the IBM HDD controller.

Leave a comment:

• nestor
    replied
    Originally posted by neazoi View Post
    Gosh! I tried to read the bios and basic chips using my willem eprom reader and I kept a backup file.
    Now I re-insert the original chips on the motherboard and it does not boot! what should I do???
    I read the bios chip of one vga card and my willem corrupted the EPROM! The contents of the backup file and the eprom after reading it were different. I flashed the backup file to a 27C512 eprom and the vga card worked again.

Don't trust the willem readers, they are not the most reliable!

Leave a comment:

• modem7
    replied
    Originally posted by neazoi View Post
    Gosh! I tried to read the bios and basic chips using my willem eprom reader and I kept a backup file.
    Now I re-insert the original chips on the motherboard and it does not boot! what should I do???
    Some possibilities:
    * You've inserted the ROMs in the wrong orientation/direction.
    * You've put the U19 ROM into the U18 socket, and the U18 ROM into the U19 socket.
    * Whilst inserting the ROMs, one or more pins have become bent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X