Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Installing Tyan S1830 motherboard into IBM XT case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Tyan S1830 motherboard into IBM XT case

Back in 2013 I installed a Tyan S1564D into thiss case. see https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/ge...-ibm-5160-case I use this same case for this install.

We'll start with the finished look.
    IMG_0695.JPG

It has a USB + card readers in one of the bays, a removable HD mobile tray and a DVD writer.

Next you have to love this: IMG_0694.JPG
    I put the floppy drive under the DVD drive cutting through the bottom of the case. It not ideal but I wanted to keep a floppy to have when needed.

The overview of the inside is next. IMG_0700.JPG

The Tyan S1830 was the last AT motherboard Tyan made. It was originally a P2 motherboard; however with a BIOS upgrade you could use a P3 up to 1100Mhz if you can find one. I settled on a 850Mhz CPU. The motherboard allows you to use either an AT or ATX power supply it comes with both connectors then jumper select.

The Mobile HD rack was a major problem as it was too long. Being made out of aluminum and having a nice cutoff saw left over from my picture frame shop I cut it down 7/16 of an inch. I then had to drill and tap 6 holes on the frame and 12 more on the trays.

Case modifications were extensive. Both places that you normally would screw the motherboard down needed to be cutoff as they caused shorting issues with the motherboard. I had to fill in several holes in the area that the plastic risers would use and I used custom size risers and floated the board on top. I had to cut 1/2 the bottom floor of the left bay to make room for the memory banks.

IMG_0712.JPG
    I used an IBM riser turned upside down, the side holes worked and it could be attached to the left side bracket. I drilled and tapped 4 holes in the riser to attach the top bay that holds the USB - card reader.

The next issue was the power supply. The current one was an AT supply that I had installed in the XT power supply case back in 2013 but I wanted the ATX supply to use ATX features like auto shutdown. When I opened up the ATX supply I discovered it had the same footprint as the AT I had installed back in 2013 and would drop in on the same standoffs. I attached the on/off switch to the big red one. The motherboard allows a soft power switch to be attached on the front panel.

IMG_0701.JPG

It was a PC power supply case.
    IMG_0711.JPG

A few more photos to complete the post

IMG_0696.JPG

Back panel has an AGP 3dfx Voodoo3 video card. Uses 3 of 4 PCI slots 1 of 4 ISA slots for the sound card.
    IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0703.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    Linksys is used with WFW and DOS, Intel card 100/1000 works with XP, W2K and Win98SE, USB PCI card 2 ports on the back and 2 ports for the front.
    IMG_0706-1.jpg
    IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG

And last the most important thing... IMG_0690.JPG

Performance is not too bad. I can get 30-50 fps with MS ftsim 2000. I will be investigating using a IDE to SATA converter or a PCI card to add SATA. Those did not work with the S1564D motherboard my gut says this one might.

All case modifications were done with just a Dremel, hand file and hand sheet metal nibbler.

Retirement make you do insane projects that others find ridiculous.

For the record I spend zero money to complete this project. All items were repurposed the Tomcat S1564D retired to a box, for now. I got the S1830 12+years ago cheap, check them out on ebay today. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=0&_odkw=S1830 It's a great board but really overpriced for fun...

You do know that 5.25" form factor SD-card+legacy floppy units exist, don't you? One of my systems uses one such.
    Before that, CD-ROM+floppy packages also existed.

Comment

I had that unit. I wanted to use CF and SD sizes and have a USB port up front. Besides I like the hidden floppy... No I did not know, that 5.25" form factor SD-card+legacy floppy units exist. Does a DVD writer w/3 1/2" HD floppy exist?

Comment

I just checked, the only one I found was the SYBA Floppy Drive SY-CRD50034 Multifunction Floppy Disk and Card Reader. It out of stock everywhere and looks disc. Checked eBay and no-joy. It would have been a cool device. I'm going to guess the SD-reader didn't work with win10. I had that issue with other readers but using with old OS should be fine.

Comment

Great work! What do your ambient temps look like when the lid is on and the system is under load? I don't see a case fan in there other than the PSU fan.

Comment

I wired the PSU fan to always be on. That PS would only run the fan when it was over a certain load/temp. The CPU has a fan and the mobile HD rack has a fan on the bottom of the HD. I doubt heat will be an issue but I will keep an on it.

Comment

That Voodoo3 2000 is going to run smoking hot, really needs a fan on it.

Comment

Originally posted by framer View Post
                I just checked, the only one I found was the SYBA Floppy Drive SY-CRD50034 Multifunction Floppy Disk and Card Reader. It out of stock everywhere and looks disc. Checked eBay and no-joy. It would have been a cool device. I'm going to guess the SD-reader didn't work with win10. I had that issue with other readers but using with old OS should be fine.
                Dunno--I works on AMD64 Linux. I steer clear of Win10 as a rule. Win7 is about as far as my systems go.

Comment

Win 10 is an interesting conundrum, just shut most of the crap off and it's not too bad. I run Win 7-32bit using "Oracle VM VirtualBox", in Win10. That way all my old programs can still be used.

I'm going to duplicate my XP drive this week and try an upgrade to Win7 to see how/if it runs on this old AT.

Last edited by framer; May 29, 2021, 05:14 AM.

Comment

A vanilla install of Windows 7 32 bit will probably work, but be painfully slow with only 1 GB of RAM. I wouldn't recommend installing any patches, because many of the later ones require SSE2/SSE3 and will cause the Windows 7 install to become unstable or BSOD. I built up an Athlon XP machine a couple of years ago to test some stuff with Windows 7, and made the mistake of trying to install all of the patches. The system would never run stable after that, and suffer from random process crashes and BSODs.

Comment

Good to know. I think I'm already over a Win7 install. I thought I had an extra 20gb drive to install it in but it had a working W2K Server version I'd installed years ago and forgot about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X