• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq LTE 5100 (Win95) PCMCIA Card Services, driver missing?

fin-william

Experienced Member
I have Compaq LTE 5100 laptop with Windows 95 installed. I have all drivers except one which has questin mark, labeled "PCMCIA Card Services".

I do have Cirrus Logic PCMCIA drivers installed and I am actually using Compact Flash card with PCMCIA adapter to transfer files to this machine because the floppy driver is not working.

I don't know what this driver does or would do if it was installed? I have read something about Compaq PC Card Manager which might be it, but I can't find installer package for it. I found some SP files which claimed to have it but I couldn't find any installer for such software after unpacking the Softpaqs. Even though the floppy drive in this machine doesn't work I have another vintage laptop with working drive, those Compaq Softpaqs insist making a floppy disk, but I can use that other machine to make a disk and then copy files to that Compact Flash card.

But, any idea what that PCMCIA Card Services could be?

Not all windows drivers have an installer. Some just have the drivers and an inf file and you point device manager to it when installing the driver.

I’m not saying that’s what you’ve got to do here, we’d have to see the contents of whatever that softpaq were.

Not all windows drivers have an installer. Some just have the drivers and an inf file and you point device manager to it when installing the driver.

I’m not saying that’s what you’ve got to do here, we’d have to see the contents of whatever that softpaq were.

Yea I tried the INF methods, basically I googled and tried some Softpaqs which I believed could contain driver.

However, disabling that PCMCIA Services via device manager causes PCMCIA port to stop working, enabling restores functionality. I think user in this post might be dealing with same issue, some kind of driver conflict, 32-bit and 16-bit stuff:

​​​​​​https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=129504

The only "problem" I had with this sitiation is that there is question mark in Device Manager list, PCMCIA card works fine :D

Card Services are what you need for the various device classes of PCMCIA cards. My older LTE Lite 4/25 came with "Compaq PCMCIA Support v1.25", which is for DOS and Windows 3.1.

You can also use PhoenixCard Manager or other alternatives. They are not required if you only use a CF card adapter, as ATA support for PCMCIA is built into Windows 9x and does not need Card Services.

I would delete the entry with a ? on it and have Windows re-detect everything. I recall my LTE5400 having a similar problem on fresh install. If you can use the PC Card slots and the machine makes the beep-beep sounds when you insert/remove a card, then the drivers are working.

Back