• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pentium laptops with upgradable sockets?

Jsfs

I was watching LGR's channel and get interested into retro computer. Reading about the Thinkpad 315ed with CPU upgrade ability is really attracting me since I have some socket 7 CPUs laying around.

But a good condition 315 is kinda out of my budget from eBay, in my country there's not much retro computing stuff buy'n'sell (such a pity).

I'm just wondering if there are other laptops at that era with similar ability to have some fun with?

Many thanks

David

One socket 7 laptop I did a lot of upgrading research and development on was the Chicony MP983. Designed to work with Intel's Pentium MMX CPU's, I found that the laptop could also use the AMD socket 7 K6 CPU and even better the K6-2+ or 3+ CPU's which put it in the PII speed range. It also could take fully compatible 144 pin sodimm's for 256K RAM max. It has a floppy and CD-ROM in an internal bay. Around the world it was sold by many local brands. One common USA reseller brand was the AMS Tech Travelpro 2500 series which came with several different LCD sizes. I don't know what brands sold this laptop around the world. Chicony made PII and Celeron laptops after the also and stopped making laptops several years later with a PIII laptop model that was mostly sold in Europe.

MITAC 5000 series has swapable CPU in a super socket 7 as well. These were also sold by Fujitsu and others. Have one that I upgraded to a K6-2. Sadly, most of the models have passive screens.

But a good condition 315 is kinda out of my budget from eBay, in my country there's not much retro computing stuff buy'n'sell (such a pity).

That isn't a model of Thinkpad I can remember off the top of my head but since you mentioned LGR in the context by guess is the price is associated with the "[insert influencer name here] Effect" ;)

If you don't mind slightly proprietary systems the Panasonic CF-25 is internally a Socket 7 CPU laptop. It is upgradeable and I have brought it up to 233mhz.

AMS Tech Travelpro 2500 series
Thanks for the kindly reply, it's a pity that not much info I can find for this one....I'll keep trying my luck :)

MITAC 5000 series has swapable CPU in a super socket 7 as well. These were also sold by Fujitsu and others. Have one that I upgraded to a K6-2. Sadly, most of the models have passive screens.
Yes, I found the MITAC 5033 and checked the image of the system board to make sure it has the socket. I'll looking for it on eBay or some other possible ways to get one in right price. :)

That isn't a model of Thinkpad I can remember off the top of my head but since you mentioned LGR in the context by guess is the price is associated with the "[insert influencer name here] Effect" ;)
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

If you don't mind slightly proprietary systems the Panasonic CF-25 is internally a Socket 7 CPU laptop. It is upgradeable and I have brought it up to 233mhz.

https://www.cnvintage.org/d/48-ibm-315ed-intel-cpu-amd-k6-2

This is the article I found and there's another one in Japanese which list the jumper definition. The ability to upgrade it from Pentium to K6-2 mean the wide choice from Cyrix to maybe IDT/Rise mP6 can be used in this machine and that's why it looks fun to me.

Thanks for mention another candidate, I'll take a look into it.

but since you mentioned LGR in the context by guess is the price is associated with the "[insert influencer name here] Effect"
It has been shown many times that this is not the case. Prices don't change. Even Techmoan made a video about this, as he got similar comments.

It's just that in the moment of such a video gets published, a few people will want one and buy [whatever unit], so the cheapest ones listed are sold and only the more expensive ones are left. This makes people think prices go up when they check prices closely after the video went live.

Back