Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Capturing video output from P1 comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capturing video output from P1 comp

Alright, I've always wanted to record video output from my Pentium I computer (it has a typical matrox millennium PCI GPU (VGA): although the lesser mystique cards were seemingly better for 3D graphics...). Anyways, I wanted to record some DOS games and various other footage... what would be the best way about doing this?
    I can always install a different video card if needed: quite frankly, it could use something more advanced (it was made before AGP existed).
    My friend suggested porting the VGA to S-Video, and then capturing it with that. Not sure how that would work... or the necessary cables/modules needed.

My workstation, which will be recording the input, has two DVI ports (currently occupied), and an S-Video port... 8 USB ports, parallel, two serial, two firewire and all the typical ports you'd expect in a modern computer.

Cheers.

I'm going to bump this thread. I too want to do the same thing. I was planning on using a s-vga => s-video converter and recording the result on a 2nd computer. Now if there was an easier way, I'm certainly all ears.

I was looking at the products here:
    http://www.i-cubeinc.com/epiphan_sys...e_grabbers.asp

and the ethernet model would be "perfect" for what I want, but the $2000 price tag... I think they have a decimal place off or something... seriously.
    Last edited by luckybob; April 12, 2011, 12:48 AM.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

There were several outboard VGA to Svideo/composite converter products out there. They were usually used for connecting a PC to a television set for presentations (before the advent of cheap PC projectors). That would probably be the easiest. They'll only do 640x480 though.

-Ian

Comment

You are looking for a scan converter. It will take the VGA input and allow you to convert it to either S-Vide or RCA which you could feed into a VCR or some other recorder.

If the S-Video on you machine is on the graphics card it is most likely an output so would be useless for this. You'll need some sort of video capture card to do this (not typical on modern machines), which card you get will dictate what kind of scan converter you will need.

Also, keep in mind that S-video and Composite (RCA) signals are practically the same when it comes to quality.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
        IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
        Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Comment

Originally posted by lutiana View Post
          Also, keep in mind that S-video and Composite (RCA) signals are practically the same when it comes to quality.
          True in both are 480i formats, however S-video will give you MUCH less dot-crawl and MUCH less color bleed, because is splits Chrominance from Luminance, where these are combined in Composite. In a VHS or Laserdisc player the source recording is in "composite" domain, so there you WONT get a benefit from S-video over Composite, but from SVHS (which introduced S-Video), DVD, HD-DVD, Bluray, or a PC you will see a noticeable difference between S-video and Composite.

Most VGA "Scan Converters" and most "Video Capture" cards/USB dongles will have both S and Composite, so why not spend the $0.50 more on the s-video cable over the composite cable.

I have a pinnacle DVC-100 USB capture device, it has S and Composite, plus audio capture, and only ran me like $30, Works on Windows 98 up through my current Windows 7-64 system. I use it mostly for converting VHS home movies to DVD, but funny enough I was using it last nigh to capture composite from the CGA card in my Compaq Portable II.

With my DVC-100 and a VGA Scan converter I could capture from any modern PC, just note most CHEAP scan converters will only do 640x480, but if you spend the money some will convert as high as 1024x768 down to s-video/composite, though with ANY scan converter you loose a lot of resolution, so small text will be unreadable. 18 or 20 point font is about minimum readable on most scan converters.
          My Vintage computer/blog site
          Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Comment

I've replied to similar but yeah that's sometimes a hard solution since you'll probably need to buy some sort of capture device or converter. AVGN outputs his stuff to his dvd recorder (probably a VCR/DVD combo) and then rips it from the DVD to get his game play footage but that's for consoles that are already outputting to RF/RCA, etc.

Depending on your selection of thrift shops or goodwills there were some capture devices for usb but I'm not sure about their quality (I'm talking legacy hardware 12 years old so the expected quality was also probably lower). There are also some programs to record your video memory I think but I'm not sure those could keep up speed wise.
            Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Comment

Originally posted by RWallmow View Post
              True in both are 480i formats, however S-video will give you MUCH less dot-crawl and MUCH less color bleed, because is splits Chrominance from Luminance, where these are combined in Composite. In a VHS or Laserdisc player the source recording is in "composite" domain, so there you WONT get a benefit from S-video over Composite, but from SVHS (which introduced S-Video), DVD, HD-DVD, Bluray, or a PC you will see a noticeable difference between S-video and Composite.
              VHS and Betamax are component formats, chrominance and luminance are stored seperately on the tape using the "color under" method. Laserdisc however is a true composite format.

If you want the best quality capture, RGB capture cards exist. They aren't all that common or cheap though. YPbPr component capture cards are more common now, but you will need a RGB to YPbPr transcoder and possibly have to run the machine at a standard HDTV resolution (720x480 usually). Some capture cards won't handle 640x480 as it isn't a standard in the video world.

A side note about outboard scan converters. In NTSC land, most of the cheapie ones don't output a true NTSC signal with 29.97 frames per second (59.94hz refresh). They just pass the same 60hz clocked signal that the VGA port outputs, which will give most devices fits, particularly video capture cards.

Comment

I'm not sure I would call VHS a component format. It's still 4:2:0 color - YC with decimated chroma resolution. And during most of the VHS era, the recorders had to demodulate the chrome sub-carrier from a composite signal. 'Component Color', to me at least, means 4:4:4 - YUV or RGB with equal bandwidth per color channel. But I think we're getting off topic.

Did any frame grabber software exists for P1 era windows? (eg. Fraps, etc)
                "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Comment

There are a LOT of video cards that have "feature connectors", are there any cards that will use this and capture the video from that? even if all it does is translate the video ram to svideo that would work as a more "elegant" solution. Or is this a bunch of wishful thinking?
                  It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/Signal-Converter...item2a105d610b

I own one of these to connect my netbook to tvs... 23 bux

It doesnt list it, but 320x200 and few other modes work also, well dosbox in those resolutions does. Your millage may vary lol.

** edit

Just like to add it uses usb for power, so make sure to have some sort of adapter for usb handy. I suggest a ac to usb adapter for your purposes...
                    Also, like to suggest using a camcorder with firewire if you have one. That way you dont loose definition recording, or maybe dvd video recorder... *shrugs*
                    Last edited by twolazy; June 3, 2011, 05:39 AM.
                    '. \ / .'
                    '. .'``'. .'
                    ......:::::::`.....`::
                    Currently seeking a Compaq Deskpro 386

Comment

I got a cheap one off of eBay that works nicely, I use it to convert the (S)VGA to composite (it can do svid too) and then put that into a VCR hooked up to my capture card..

Only cost like $20 - was recommended to me by phreakindee (Youtube, also he's on here). It's that uniquely shaped one that's a few inches long.. they're spammed all over eBay new from China.
                      More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
                      Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
                      I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Comment

Would like to share my VGA capturing experiences.

The cheapest option is S-Video hands down.

Now there are two options to being with:
                        1. Use a graphics card that has S-Video out
                        2. If your card doesn't have S-Video out buy a VGA to S-Video converter box

If your machine has an AGP port, then you can choose from a wide range of cards. ATI and Nvidia have various models with S-Video out.

Note that there are other things to consider: Some cards don't output via VGA if you are using the S-Video out. Some output on both ports.

The BIOS determines if the S-Video output signal is PAL or NTSC. PAL has a higher resolution, but runs at 50Hz, NTSC has a lower resolution but runs at 60Hz. I did some tests and in the end there is hardly any difference, I still lean towards NTSC because of the 60Hz.

In order to record the signal, you need a S-Video capture card. Most TV tuners have such an option, or you can purchase a capture card. The cheapest ones are USB and can capture S-Video or Composite. Avoid composite. S-Video is heaps better!

More expensive cards can capture S-Video, but also Component and/or HDMI.

Another thing to consider is that graphics cards that have S-Video output will give you a better recording compared to using a VGA to S-Video converter box!

I have the same VGA to S-Video box as has been posted here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Signal-Converter...item2a105d610b

For the S-Video capturing I bought a Compro USB S-Video capture device. It comes with a Cyberlink package which allows you to record the Video as MPEG2: http://www.comprousa.com/en/product/...c200_plus.html

It works in W7 64 bit as well. There are cheap USB capture cards on eBay and I'm sure they works just as well, I just wasn't sure if they came with 64 bit W7 drivers (this was last year), so I went with the Compro.

Here are some recordings:

640 x 480 Duke Nukem 3D off a Geforce MX440 which has a S-Video port:

320 x 200 games off a Geforce MX440 which has a S-Video port:

Recording through the VGA to S-Video converter Box in PAL mode (the box has DIP switches to change from PAL to NTSC):

Recording through the VGA to S-Video converter Box in NTSC mode (the box has DIP switches to change from PAL to NTSC):

Note:

S-Video signals are interlaced! So you need to use a deinterlacer before / while you encode your videos!

Another
                        Last edited by Mau1wurf1977; July 8, 2011, 03:45 PM.

Comment

It suprises me that there is nothing like FRAPS or similar that work on older systems. I would of assumed something would of existed.
                          [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Comment

Don't forget another method of input, svhs/firewire camcorders. I used to use one years ago as a lossless tv tuner... Bonus being they are cheap as dirt nowadays!
                            '. \ / .'
                            '. .'``'. .'
                            ......:::::::`.....`::
                            Currently seeking a Compaq Deskpro 386

Comment

Originally posted by twolazy View Post
                              Don't forget another method of input, svhs/firewire camcorders. I used to use one years ago as a lossless tv tuner... Bonus being they are cheap as dirt nowadays!
                              How would this work? Do these camcorders have VGA input?

Comment

Working...
                              X