• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Socket 8 To slot one

dan87951

Kinda hoping to get lucky and find a socket 8 to slot 1 converter. If anyone has one for sale let me know. Thanks

Slot 1 mobo socket hosting a socket 8 PPro? Not the other way around, I hope.

(I generally think about adapters as "I have"->"I need". As in "I have a Slot 1 motherboard; I need to put a Socket 8 Pentium Pro in it.")

Last edited:
I didn't think this needed clarifying but as the title states I have socket 8 CPU and need the slot one converter. Another way I can put is taking a socket 8 and converting it into a slot 1. Hope this helps.

That's what I thought, just wanted to be sure.

They exist, but they're pretty thin on the ground. It's probably been at least 3 years since I've seen one advertised, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.

I have a pair, but I really DON'T want to sell them. I got them off ebay, a year ago and i havent seen any on there since and probably 3-4 years prior. I CAN sell them, but It won't be cheap.

That being said, WHY do you want to do this? VERY few slot 1 motherboards will accept a Pentium pro. if memory serves me, only boards based on the 440FX chipset will even post with them. I own a dual slot 1 motherboard based on this chipset with slot one to socket 8 converters, but I haven't put power to it since I got it. (TYAN S1686)

Not interested in paying unreasonable sums of money for them. Kinda hoping to find a reasonable member who will sell them at a fair price. I actually use all the older equipment I have and it doesnt sit on a shelf and collect dust. I never much understood of collecting objects you can't use. Cheers!

Dan

You are right, having spares to equipment that I use is a silly thing and I should sell it all. I dont use the S1686 because I'm currently using an asus p65up5, for a gaming system. And to be fair, you are asking for a VERY rare and special part. Items are worth what people will pay for them. for example, I'd practically sell one of my kidneys for a working asus p65up8 with the pentium pro daughter card! The "common" slot 1/socket 370 adapters run the gambit for $5 to $30. But if you have ever used one, the $30 ones actually work while the cheap ones are plagued with issues.

I'm still willing to accept an offer, but keep in mind, I bought the only pair I've EVER seen on eBay. And I paid $25 each for them.

The 3rd set of PPro's come on a seperate card and who knows how proprietary the power supply is (the case isn't a common form factor either). Those units come parted out because few people would spend the cash to ship such a heavy beast (I have seen all the parts for it on ebay from time to time except the case). The memory riser holds quite a bit of DIMMs.

Also I am getting tired of seeing "a reasonable member selling at a fair price" for things that are pretty much impossible to find and are never cheap. All that means is you won't pay ebay prices or close to it for something that is rare and hard to find. Why not offer up some of your rare and hard to find items for trade instead of looking for a sucker?

Also I am getting tired of seeing "a reasonable member selling at a fair price" for things that are pretty much impossible to find and are never cheap.

Why do you think I've stopped mentioning that I have something that someone is looking for, even if I have a case of them?

Little things, sure, but something that someone would give an arm for? Not anymore.

Wow, guess this is gone off topic because I decided not to purchase from a member who said "they won't be cheap". In all reality he can ask what ever he wants for them and I have every right to pass. I'm wondering if some of you guys that have posted are the ones listing $300 486 motherboards on eBay? Cheers!

haha yea that would make a nice wall decoration unfortunately will not meet the WAF (wife acceptance factor).

Wow, guess this is gone off topic because I decided not to purchase from a member who said "they won't be cheap". In all reality he can ask what ever he wants for them and I have every right to pass. I'm wondering if some of you guys that have posted are the ones listing $300 486 motherboards on eBay? Cheers!

actually the last 3 motherboards I sold on ebay went for about $40 each. I have about 5 i'm ready to put online here in a few days. keep a look out on ebay! MAYBE in 5-6 years you might find some slot 1/socket 8 converters. Or you can buy mine for $50 each. your call.

actually the last 3 motherboards I sold on ebay went for about $40 each. I have about 5 i'm ready to put online here in a few days. keep a look out on ebay! MAYBE in 5-6 years you might find some slot 1/socket 8 converters. Or you can buy mine for $50 each. your call.

Bob,
It's not big deal. Like I said earlier I'll pass. I thought this board was more about helping its members than profiteering off of them.

It's really no big deal if I find them... if I don't, oh well, life goes on. I just thought it would be fun to tinker with..

Last edited:
Bob,
It's not big deal. Like I said earlier I'll pass. I thought this board was more about helping its members than profiteering off of them.

It's really no big deal if I find them... if I don't, oh well, life goes on. I just thought it would be fun to tinker with..

You have to look at it from the old timers view. "Hi , I am a new member wanting all your rare stuff cheap so I can get bored with them in 3 months then flog them on ebay for what you could have gotten for them and move on to another hobby to exploit".

Nobody is saying you are in this for profit, but you would not the first person to try (especially since your first post was for stuff). Most collectors are pretty frugal (well I am cheap) because it is just a money pit. Anybody in this long term tends to find everything they want at reasonable prices mostly because they go out in search for it at recycling centers, freecycle, local collectors, and many other sources. Once you get a decent collection odds are you might have duplicates or unwanted items and that is where you can start trading for items you need but don't want to spend much money on.

If you want something now you have to be prepared to pay the going rate or trade another valuable for it. If you can wait then go searching and who knows what else you will find (quite a bit of fun in the chase). If you are cheap and inpatient this is not the hobby for you.

Back