• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Socket 5/7 CPU Super PI 256K contest

scavenger

Will a MMX-enabled 3DNOW-featured on-chip-L2-cache-equipped AMD K6-2+ beat old school P54C by per MHz performance in Super PI?

NO.

Here is a summary of the tests I've done on P54C, P55C, M2 and K6-2+ CPUs. The P5A-B mobo, 384MB ECC PC100 SDRAM, XP system. Ran Super PI on RAM disk at least 3 times in each case. P55C wasn't stable at 250MHz as you can tell from the range of time cost and I can't find x2.5 jumper settings for K6-2+.
p5oc.jpg

Will a MMX-enabled 3DNOW-featured on-chip-L2-cache-equipped AMD K6-2+ beat old school P54C by per MHz performance in Super PI?

NO.

Here is a summary of the tests I've done on P54C, P55C, M2 and K6-2+ CPUs. The P5A-B mobo, 384MB ECC PC100 SDRAM, XP system. Ran Super PI on RAM disk at least 3 times in each case. P55C wasn't stable at 250MHz as you can tell from the range of time cost and I can't find x2.5 jumper settings for K6-2+.
View attachment 18488

Is your P5A-B version 1.05 or 1.06? If it is, bad news. Due to a hardware bug all K6-2+ and K6-3+ CPUs work terribly slow and there is no way around this. While this board is the fastest, only versions up to 1.04 work properly with these CPUs.

Oh and BTW, using 384MB RAM may be too much for these boards and they might work slower due to issues with the cache not being able to map the entire memory. But it won't certainly be the case. I'd try benchmarking with different amount of RAM starting with 64MB and increasing.

I was also about to do some benchmarks but I was missing some socket 7 CPUs (in particular Winchip 2 and some other rare units). I was thinking of Win98SE though and pure DOS mode. I'm worried that XP will eat a lot of CPU and RAM resources in typical background tasks and will affect the benchmark scores.

Last edited:
Does that apply to the P5A 1.06 with K6-2 CPUs, or only the "plus" versions. I've got a couple of 1.06 boards here with K6-2s and they seem to be pretty zippy. They even admit to a certain amount of FSB overclocking.

Does that apply to the P5A 1.06 with K6-2 CPUs, or only the "plus" versions. I've got a couple of 1.06 boards here with K6-2s and they seem to be pretty zippy. They even admit to a certain amount of FSB overclocking.

No. Only K6-2+ and K6-3+ have problems.

Back