• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hardware giveaway games

LiqMatrix

Veteran Member
I used to have a hardware giveaway thread over at Vogons. I mostly live over here now so I have a few pieces to get rid of. Found this Pentium motherboard at a garage sale for basically nothing and it appears to be in great shape. It is labeled a 5SEM M103 motherboard and is populated with I believe 64MB of RAM and a Pentium 120 with the original heatsink. Cleaned off the thermal compound. This is untested, but looks to be in perfect shape. Also including an ISA audio card with ESS 1688F and ESS 968F chips and an Avance Logic GP-2302V PCI VGA card. The VGA card has a tad bit of rust on the VGA head. Also a NIC, optical drive and modem came with the lot as well.

So here is the game.

I am thinking of a very influential computer pioneer of the 1980s. He helped develop multiple home computer platforms. Who is it?

One guess every 30 minutes. First to get it right gets the hardware shipped to you for free. United States only since shipping beyond that gets expensive. Thanks and happy Easter!

mobo.jpg
cards.jpg

I used to have a hardware giveaway thread over at Vogons. I mostly live over here now so I have a few pieces to get rid of. Found this Pentium motherboard at a garage sale for basically nothing and it appears to be in great shape. It is labeled a 5SEM M103 motherboard and is populated with I believe 64MB of RAM and a Pentium 120 with the original heatsink. Cleaned off the thermal compound. This is untested, but looks to be in perfect shape. Also including an ISA audio card with ESS 1688F and ESS 968F chips and an Avance Logic GP-2302V PCI VGA card. The VGA card has a tad bit of rust on the VGA head. Also a NIC, optical drive and modem came with the lot as well.

So here is the game.

I am thinking of a very influential computer pioneer of the 1980s. He helped develop multiple home computer platforms. Who is it?

One guess every 30 minutes. First to get it right gets the hardware shipped to you for free. United States only since shipping beyond that gets expensive. Thanks and happy Easter!

View attachment 44761
View attachment 44762

Gary Kildall?

I have another challenge coming later tonight. It will be for an unused NIB, but not sealed Sound Blaster Live Platinum. The card and the I/O drive are sealed and never used. The only thing in the box that was opened was the software to image a driver CD. Will post before 9pm eastern.

Next challenge as promised:

Thinking of a number between 10 and 50. First one to guess right gets the SB Live Platinum I described above. One guess every 15 minutes. Must be a U.S. shipping address. Sorry.

sbliveplat.jpg

No offense, but please dont't play if you do not have a U.S. shipping address or don't care about the hardware so others who might need this or want it for a retro system of theirs can have a fair chance. Thanks.

It's actually easier to pop it open and run some BS 16/32 bit programs, like floppy disk images that write to a floppy and 7-zip won't unpack them, than it is to start up my VM. *glares at certain OEM's*

Lol, you guys are killing me. Rough audience tonight. :eek:

and no, keep guessing.

Last edited:
Back