• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I just figured out how rare the kenbak 1 is

Dms12444

Experienced Member
After doing a bit of reasearch i just discovered that only 40 kenbak 1's were sold, and even then kenbak corps closed before it could deliver all of them. So technically this website has one of the rarest computers (that is PC's) of all time.

After doing a bit of reasearch i just discovered that only 40 kenbak 1's were sold, and even then kenbak corps closed before it could deliver all of them. So technically this website has one of the rarest computers (that is PC's) of all time.

Yes, it is pretty rare. However, it seems like there aren't too mutch interest in it (at leas according to the number of replies to my post where I uploaded my Kenbak-1 Emulator).

If iirc, the last one I saw sold on ebay, well over a year ago or longer went for over $1,600.00.

If iirc, the last one I saw sold on ebay, well over a year ago or longer went for over $1,600.00.

If someone bought one for under $5K they got a real bargain.

I got mine for less than that but the next one sold for over $10K and the next after that went even higher.

The current "registry" of machines, including those in museums, includes maybe 15 examples, almost half in Nova Scotia.

I just googled a little and read about this machine. Interesting!

A genuine computer for $750 (allbeit limited) seems to me a bargin price in 1971.

Tez

I remember seeing that, but I think it was a copy, not a real one. Real ones go for BIG BUCKS, and collectors wouldn't miss something like that!

It was right around the time another guy listed an RCA Cosmac wanna-be, as well.

T

I just googled a little and read about this machine. Interesting!

A genuine computer for $750 (allbeit limited) seems to me a bargin price in 1971.

Tez

I'll agree on that, but even though it is a turning-complete computer, it really can't be used for too mutch. The reason is that it does not got any form for I/O interfaces exept for the front panel switchs and lights. It would problably be even more poppular if a RS-232 interface was made for it, and if it could address more than 256b of RAM.

Back