• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bi-Tran Six

valeen1959

Anyone ever hear of a Bi-Tran Six trainer computer. I have a working unit that has actual working core memory. I power it up and se to run and all sorts of lights blink. There are 8 panels in it that can be raised to access test points. Everything seems to be working and it looks like something you may have seen in old 60's scifi movies. I was hoping to get more information on it as to figure out what I can do with it.

I dunno, he might bit-slap me too, but when I first saw the header, that's exactly what I expected to find. Didn't know there was actually a vintage computer by that name.

--T

Yah I know

Yah I know

Got the same thing when I tried to google it. I am not trying to lead anyone astray, that is just what it is called. Attached a file with picture of the unit, after dropping the size to fit looks a little grainy.

Attachments

• 100_2756sm.JPG
    100_2756sm.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 37
another picture

another picture

Here is another picture of the bottom corner, note the name.

Attachments

• bt6.JPG
    bt6.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 25
I've programmed two of them...

I've programmed two of them...

I know this thread is a little old for a reply, but I just came across it... I first saw the Bi-Tran Six in about 1971-72 -- I was in fifth grade at the time. Our local school district had two of them, and I was invited to view a demonstration of the machines as I was interested in computers. When I was in eleventh grade, I took a computer programming class, and the same two Bi-Trans were still in use, and were one of the machine types we were required to write programs for. It was my first exposure to Octal numbering, as the six bits were typically grouped as a word consisting of two, three-bit nibbles. If I remember correctly, the op-codes were also documented as Octal. The Bi-Tran couldn't do much, but the lights gave you a good view of what was happening in the registers. I still contend that understanding this machine gave you a good background for programming many types of simple embedded microprocessors -- I think this machine may have a Harvard architecture. The last I saw of the two Bi-Trans was in the mid 1980s, when they could have been mine for the asking -- unfortunately, I didn't ask -- I suspect they ended up as dumpster fodder along with a PDP-8...

ComTran-10

ComTran-10

When I was in the Navy, going through electronics school (one of them, I can't remember which) in Millington, Tennessee, somewhere between September 1977 and September 1978, we were taught about computers using a computer trainer called the "ComTran-10", or something like that.

I don't remember much about it, except we programmed it in machine code. Has anyone heard of it?

I actually trained on one in the early 70's for the navy. Fun pulling out transistors and replacing them.

Chuck Vroman - Bitran Six User

Chuck Vroman - Bitran Six User

I used the Bitran Six in Polaris Electronics "A" school for basic digital computer programming and troubleshooting training in 1972. It was a very basic computer, limited in function, but good for introduction to basic programming and troubleshooting. The last I saw of these computers, they were piled in an old classroom at the Submarine School in Groton, CT. Have fun with it!

Anyone ever hear of a Bi-Tran Six trainer computer. I have a working unit that has actual working core memory. I power it up and se to run and all sorts of lights blink. There are 8 panels in it that can be raised to access test points. Everything seems to be working and it looks like something you may have seen in old 60's scifi movies. I was hoping to get more information on it as to figure out what I can do with it.

Back