Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Mark 8 variant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark 8 variant

Hello everyone,

I've bought an old Mark 8 computer. The man used the original Mark 8 boards but he built his own version.
    He made all the boards pluggable. And he added some memory cards and designed a video card for it.
    He did not use the LED display but used several 7 segment displays for the read-out. He also made a programming remote.

I think he did a really nice job back in those days.

I haven't tested it because I want to readout the EPROM first. There is only one EPROM
    but if this one is distroyed the complete machine will be useless I think.
    So I really hope the EPROM still has his program intact. It's a C8702A version

Mark 8 01.jpg Mark 8 02.jpg Mark 8 03.jpg Mark 8 04.jpg Mark 8 05.jpg
    Last edited by Roland Huisman; April 6, 2014, 10:51 AM.
    WTB: Case for Altair 8800 ...... Rolands Github projects

And a few more pics...

Mark 8 06.jpg Mark 8 07.jpg

Regards, Roland

Comment

Does anyone have a datasheet of a C8702A EPROM?
      I have no idea how to read this thing. Is it electrically the
      same as an 1702A?

Thanks in advance for your info!

Regard, Roland

Comment

Hello Roland,
        yes it is equal to the 1702A.
        I have a reader/programmer for that EPROMs.
        Here is a DIY programmer and here some other info.

Frank

Comment

Hello Frank,

Thanks for your information! I've got the PCB, CPU and instructions
          for the Marting Eberhart programmer. According the website you mentioned,
          the programmer from Martin should support the 8702. But Martin told me he doesn't know...

Martin asked me for a datasheet to check it. But I can't find it either.
          It should be somewhere I hope...

Regards, Roland

Comment

I have powered up the Mark 8. First without cards, everytime added
            one single card, checked for heat and measured the power voltages.
            Everything was fine until the mainsfilter blew So I bypassed that one for now.

I have waited with the eprom. When the Eprom data is saved I will put that one in.

I assume the Mark 8 should work without the eprom, but it's not for sure.
            I can examine memory and the address counts one up. But I can't write anything in memory.

Mark 8 08.jpg

I was wondering, how good is the quality of these wirewrap connections?
            The silver turns black at many wires. Is it wise to solder all these joints?
            Any experiences? The whole backplane is full of wirewrap connections.

Mark 8 09.jpg

Regards, Roland

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Huisman View Post
              ...I was wondering, how good is the quality of these wirewrap connections?
              The silver turns black at many wires. Is it wise to solder all these joints?...
              Hello Roland,
              WireWrap connection are generally long lasting.
              The wire what is wrapped round the post is gas tight connected with the post.

Have you ever try to get solder float on older (black) silver coated wire and the posts? No chance!
              Silver coated wire, which has a massive oxide coating tends to break easily.
              When this already happend with your backplane wraps, i think the best is to rewire it again with wirewrap connections.

Frank

Comment

Hello Frank,

The machine has been stored for about 25 years in a horrible environment.
                The topcover was completely rusted. The wooden panels inside were mildewed.
                And note the huge amount of dirt between the cardholders...

Mark 8 10.jpg Mark 8 11.jpg Mark 8 12.jpg

So I began to wonder how the quality might be from the wrapped joints on the connectors.
                When I have placed the eprom back again I can tell more about it's function (I hope...)
                And maybe there are some functions like deposit which would work. But I don't think
                it has anything to do with the eprom.

I guess there is a tapeloader inside the eprom...

Regards, Roland

Comment

Mark 8 is running!

Hello Everyone,

I've got my Mark 8 up and running. (for so far)

The remote was defective. There were only three zeros in the display.
                  I could not put a value into the display. In the meanwhile I've got a lot
                  of the original documentation of this machine. Including the Radio electronics from '74.

I began to draw the schematics from the remote. While I was half way I found
                  an NE555 which was used as a clock generator. But no clock signal. After replacing
                  the NE555 I had a clock again. But the panel did still not work.

Eventually I ran into a circuit around a 7474 which seems to be broken.
                  After replacing this 7474 the remote came back to live

So now I can read and write into each memory location. Still a lot to figure out.

Mark 8 13.jpg Mark 8 14.jpg Mark 8 15.jpg Mark 8 16.jpg

Defects fixed until now: NE555, 7474, mains noise filter.

This machine is inspired by 'the digital group' from Robert Suding.
                  Many (MANY!) original 'the digital group' documents are includes with the machine.
                  The octal input however is completely different than the circuit from 'the digital group'

Further, the machine is quite well documented by the brothers Henk and Jaap Berkhoudt
                  who both made this machine in their youth...

Regards, Roland
                  Last edited by Roland Huisman; May 19, 2014, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Very cool. Welcome to the wonderful world of managing H&L registers by hand...

You should be able to use most of Mike Willegal's Scelbi software with minor modification. http://www.willegal.net/scelbi/apps8008.html

Cheers,
                    Corey

Comment

Hello Corey,

Thanks for the link! I have to figure some stuff out. The machine has 14K of memory.
                      So that should give some possibilities

And I've got also these books (and more). Games for the 8008.

Mark 8 17.jpg

The constructor of the computer really enjoyed the
                      pictures of the machine working again for so far.

He told me they ran moon lander on the machine once.
                      There is a complete book of scalbi basic with the machine.
                      There are some notes in it because of different I/O addresses.

Regards, Roland

Comment

Most SCELBI software that I have seen doesn't include I/O drivers. For example the Galaxy program is listed as 4K, but doesn't include any I/O software at all. I had to work pretty hard on tweaking it in order to make it fit in 4K with the added and necessary I/O drivers. A lot of the early/mid 70's home computer gear left a whole a lot to the user to figure out. This is very different than what we are used to with todays canned solutions for everything.

If you come up with any additional 8008 software, I'd be more than glad to host it on my 8008 software page.

regards,
                        Mike W.

Comment

Hello Mike,

When I have time I will try to sort things out. There are many documents
                          that came with the machine. Probably a nice winter project.

An other thing is that my scanner is not supported under windows 8.1... That's also for
                          the winter. Maybe I will buy a new and faster one... Than I can scan the documents.

Regards, Roland

Comment

Can anyone tell me where I can find little test programs to test a Mark 8?
                            I've wiped the dust off of my Mark8. The last time I had the machine ready
                            to select a memory address and put data into that address.

Mark 8 display 123.JPG

So now it is time to do a little more testing... I found many big programs
                            and futuristic stuff. But I would like to have a list of basic test programs.

Regards, Roland

Comment

Hi Roland,

Did you ever manage to dump the EPROM in the end?

I have been interested in the 8008 for a while. Too much of a faff to make a real one (although people keep tempting me) so I constructed a JavaScript emulator capable of looking like a Scelbi, Mark-8 or MIL MOD-8.

I note that you have a few interesting additions to your machine (LED 7-segment displays for instance). Are these described anywhere or were they 'homebrew' by the original constructor do you know?

I have just bought myself a little ESP8266 to run the i8008 emulator as a little project whilst in lock-down (although I am working from home and have less free time now than I did before lock-down!).

I would be interested in writing a few simple test programs for you if you can pass me details of your I/O capability on the machine.

I would also be interested in converting the HexPawn program from the games manual to run on your machine if you would be interested...

By the looks of the back panel there is/was a serial port at one time of day. Just thinking of how to get the user to interact with the machine...

Any means of saving to tape once you have loaded something by hand?

A bit of a distraction me thinks...

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X