Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Kenbak-1 50th Anniversary this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenbak-1 50th Anniversary this year

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been discussion of the Kenbak-1 50th anniversary so far, maybe there will be as we get closer to September (the date of the Scientific American issue in 1971 with the advertisement). I had been wanting to build a replica using the period-correct parts I've been collecting, but I never got any response when I tried contacting Grant Stockley and it looks like there hasn't been any activity on his forum since 2017. So, my Pandemic Project has been to make my own homebrew replica which is just about done now. Anyone else doing something similar?
    Richard

Here are some pics of my project: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6rkum1tjn...RJU0dwYSa?dl=0
    Richard

Comment

Very well done....
      Did you remake the PCB and would you be willing to share the layout files ? Was contemplating a similar setup and this would speed up things no end....

Comment

Yes it took LOTS of patience and time to recreate the boards. I'm holding onto my files for now.

Comment

One nice thing about having this now is I can try some upgrades with other vintage parts I have, maybe a little more memory or an interface to an I/O peripheral. I don't have anything to support punched cards which the front slot was originally intended for, but I do have paper tape hardware to try out. Good motivation to restore my Remex punch. May also try replacing the 74xx TTL with 74Fxx.

Comment

It would indeed be easy enough to add some papertape-based input to the Kenbak, your could hang it into the keyboard connection and would not even need to touch the Kenbak board. The whole state of a Kenbak is less than a meter worth of punched tape...

Comment

I didn't want to drill any more holes or slots in the case so I dug up some nice vintage Cinch connectors that fit the existing front slot holes pretty well, and put them together so I could plug in an interface card inside and a cable to the peripheral on the outside. The Remex documentation describes the circuits I need to add to interface the paper tape reader to the computer, which I'll then hang onto the keys as you say.
              NewBoard.jpgFrontSlot.jpg

Comment

I finished the basic structure of the interface card (and added another underneath since there was room). Also finished the cable - it's based on something I found in a lot of old hardware from a Texas Instruments auction years ago. I need to have both data and control lines for the Remex paper tape reader, and I think I can do it with some vintage Signetics latches using existing Kenbak instructions such as "Skip if 0/1".
                interface.jpglatches.jpg

Comment

It's looking like I don't need the extra latch hardware, just open-collector gates hung on the switches and a simple program should be enough. Manipulating the output register should provide the control I/O. Also, I'm working on similarly adding a bank of C1101A SRAM which could be addressed with the Index mode (enabled with the Carry bit). So 512 bytes available instead of 256 - woo hoo!

Comment

I'm going to need -9V and +5V for the C1101A chips so I thought about trying to stuff more voltage regulator parts in the case too, but decided to build a small external power supply instead. To try to stay consistent with the period I'm investigating the zener plus series pass transistor approach. My prototype seems to work OK so I'll get that built up then resume my investigations on integrating the memory into the Kenbak.

Comment

I need direct access to the Write Time (WT) and Overflow (OV) signals, plus I needed to make a slight logic modification to the WT signal used by the 1404 shift registers, so I made up a daughterboard that plugs into the appropriate locations. My replica is already all socketed so no mods to the motherboard are needed.
                      Daughterboard.jpg

Comment

I haven't worked on the memory expansion or paper tape reader interface yet, but I did spend some time making a user-interface extension that should make it a little easier to enter and verify programs. Trying to stay with the older chips, this turned out to be a more complicated project that I thought it would be (probably way too over-engineered as well). In any case it was fun, it looks cool, and it works. I'm able to work directly in the octal digits, and see the memory location at the same time as the data. The switch hung off the side auto-clears before storing the contents of the scratchpad displayed in the upper right to the Kenbak's memory.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Are you planning to offer bare PCB's ? ( or release the gerber files... )

More Kenbak replica's does mean more activity in the "Kenbak field..."

Jos

Comment

I have a very limited number of extra PCBs. I splurged on the production and hired a small company here in the US to make a micro batch for me from a surplus piece of vintage double-sided copper laminate, finished in the old-style HASL rather than immersion tin. It wasn't cheap but I got the retro look I wanted. I also had a batch of boards made for the replica power supply, along with black anodized heat sinks. I can put a set of these on eBay for someone to get started on their own replica. I don't plan to release the Gerbers.

Comment

Working...
                            X