Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

S-100 Revival After 30+ Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S-100 Revival After 30+ Years

Greetings,

Just joined the forum today!

I'm in the process of reviving my S-100 system, originally put together in 1981, worked on and experimented with until IBM PCs took over in the late 80's and in storage until this week.

I vaguely remember that the event that caused me to abandon it was a disk drive power supply failure that I repaired but then I couldn't solve related problems (didn't have time). I have always planned to see if I could resurrect it and have finally gotten around to it.

Progress was actually fairly fast after I solved the problem of no longer having my trusty ADM3a CRT terminal!. I got my laptop USB to serial connection to work after discovering a burnt trace on the motherboard -12V buss. With just the CPU and RAM cards installed I got the ROM Monitor to respond. Next I installed the Floppy Controller and got the Disk Monitor ROM on that board to respond. Final step, connect the Floppy Drives and try to boot. Amazingly, after a couple of glitches with baud rate mismatches I had CP/M booted on Drive A!

So that went about as well as anyone could expect on a 40 year old batch of electronics. However I do have a problem with Drive B. If I select B: from the CP/M command line it selects drive B, the read head seeks track 0 but the system hangs there and I have to reset the system to regain control.

I will be nosing around the forum for clues to solve this problem so if anyone has any ideas, please toss them my way!

Cheers!

Jim
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Welcome to VCFED!

What system have you got there? Especially the disk controller and disk drives to give us a clue where to suggest you start...

I would make a stab at looking at the track 0 signal from the drive and then check to see if you have an index pulse visible as my first port of call.

Dave

Comment

From my Profile:

Vintage computer is California Computer Systems (CCS) 2200 mainframe with:

- 2501 12 slot Motherboard
      - 2810 Z-80 CPU Board
      - ExpandoRAM II 64K Memory Board
      - 2422 Floppy Disk Controller
      - 2710 4-Port Serial I/O Board
      - EDA TMS9918 Video/Sound Board
      - Home Brew MM58167 Real Time Clock Board
      - Dual Shugart 801 SSDD Floppy Disk Storage

Jim
      Last edited by jgrant911; May 15, 2021, 07:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

OK, I put a scope on Track 00 detect: good. Then checked for the Index signal: 1 pulse every 167ms which is exactly 360 rpm. Finally I looked at the Read Data signal which shows a stream of 0.2 microsec pulses at 2 or 3 microsec spacing.

So, at least the basics are good. I have the Shugart manuals and the basic disk access code listing from the Disk Controller ROM but I'm still looking for the sequence of events that would cause an infinite wait for a response from the drive.

Jim

Comment

Double check that the drive belt on drive B isn't stretched just enough that loading the heads causes the media to stall. I had that happen on an 8" drive in an HP 9895A, while the other drive was fine.

Comment

Nope, the heads load OK and the media index timing pulse stream doesn't change.

The obvious symptom here is that when selecting drive B: (Typing "B: CR" at the A: prompt) even though the disk select LED lights, the heads load and the stepper seeks track 0, the system hangs forever. I would have thought that there was an Error Flag or some sort of timeout in the logic?

I am assuming that the code that manages this process is part of the ROM resident basic disk I/O but Z-80 assembly code is not my forte so I'm still struggling thru it to figure out what the Disk Controller could be waiting for that it's not receiving.

Jim

Comment

I found your profile details. We are all learning with a new revision of the board - and profiles are not even on my list to sort out yet...

Your disk controller contains a WD1793 - so it should have some form of timeout.

Since you have two (2) disk drives - and one works and the other doesn't - I would be inclined to find out whether the problem is related to one of the disk drives in particular (drive B) or when using both of them together.

I would disconnect the drive that works and configure the non-working drive to be the same as the working drive. However, I would note down EXACTLY what links are being changed. Try the non-working disk drive when configured as A: and see what happens. If it doesn't work then - we are looking at a drive fault of some description. If it works then - we are probably looking at why the two drives don't like playing together with the controller.

The WD1793 looks at the index pulses for timeout (if I remember correctly). Hence the interest in them...

Just looking at the data sheet. Yes, 5 index pulses can abort most commands. However, there are some commands where the controller can 'get stuck' - but I would rule these out initially if one drive is working.

Dave
              Last edited by daver2; April 29, 2021, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Dave. Yes, I was thinking along the same lines (swapping drives). I was just trying to talk myself into clearing enough room on my work table to be able to access the backplane circuit boards of both drives at the same time. That's my project for this afternoon. : )

To be entirely honest, I am amazed that I have made as much progress as this in just a few days. My recollection from 30 years back was that I had a serious power supply failure in the floppy drive enclosure that involve a power transistor failing in a way that allowed high voltage through to the drive circuits. Obviously it wasn't as bad as I thought because so far there has been no obvious damage except for the burned trace on the -12V rail on the S-100 backplane (which may have been completely unrelated).

It's great to see that there is still a community of enthusiasts enjoying this old tech.

Cheers!

Jim

Comment

OK, problem solved (or more correctly No Problem!).

In the 30+ years since I have gazed upon this miracle of 1980's technology, my organic FIFO stack had eliminated any knowledge or awareness of soft sector vs. hard sector disks. It turns out that I have a mixture of these types of floppies in my disk collection. Also, I had conveniently forgotten what the little toggle switch on the front of each of my Shugart drives was for...

It turns out that I used to be smarter than am now and when I bought my drives I purchased them with the optional front panel switch that selects Shugart 800 vs. 801 mode: soft sector or hard sector disks! I had some recollection that these switches should normally be in the right hand position, which happens to be for hard sectored disks. This worked fine for my CP/M boot disk but by chance every disk I put in the B: drive was soft sectored causing the "it does not compute" error!

Now that I have basic system functionality I will begin re-installing my optional boards (4 port serial board, colour video graphics board and real time clock with programmed shutdown and restart)

Pictures of my now working system and the confusion causing toggle switch. I think I'll put a label on these!

Cheers!

Jim
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

>>> I think I'll put a label on these!

It sounds like a plan to me !

Good to see you are on the road to getting it running. Oh yes, we enjoy vintage tech. here!

I had a similar problem with my Cromemco system with the disk drive regulators. Fortunately, I checked them out without having them connected to the floppy drive - so the shorted regulator didn't do any damage. Sometimes circuitry survives - sometimes it doesn't...

Let us know if you need anymore help. It will be good to see the results when it is finally working.

Dave

Comment

Apologies for the OT intrusion but I'm curious: Dave, which Cromemco(s) have you got?

Comment

A Cromemco Z-2D (the big black box). I am still looking for a System-3 though (with the 8” disks).

Dave

Comment

Just a follow up on the floppy drives.

First item:

I have both drives working, but with intermittent problems. I thought I had things going quite well after my initial glitch (above) but both drives are now giving me occasional BDOS Errors (B: drive quite consistently now).

I am working from about five 8" Control Data boot floppies and a dozen or so miscellaneous file floppies that I created about 40 years ago so I am not completely surprised to have read/write problems. It was actually during the process of trying to create new boot disks on un-used (but still very old) floppies that the BDOS errors became much worse.

I am hoping for some insight from the forum as to possible causes for the increased errors. My guesses so far include:
                          - weak or failing drive or controller electronics (read/write degradation, track/sector sense issues...)
                          - dirty heads (maybe aggravated by aging disk surfaces)
                          - ???

Second item:

I am obviously concerned that if my 8" drives fail and all I have is 8" media, I will have a problem. For this reason I am looking for the easiest way to use the CCS 2422 Multimode Floppy Disk Controller to connect to some alternate drive (5.25", 3.5" or ???) that I can buy new media for.

I have seen several mentions of using other drives on the 2422 controller, which was designed for both 8" (50 pin header ) and 5.25 " (34 pin header) drives. I haven't found anything that amounts to a DIY on this though.

I have a 5.25 floppy drive from a IBM clone but from what I have found in my research is there are some differences in the cable pin assignments:

2422_34_Pin.jpg

If anyone has any pointers to share (or direct me to) that might help me to migrate to different drives, please let me know!

Cheers!

Jim

Comment

I believe, not an expert but from my own experiences, you need to find 720K 5.25" drives (Or quad density - 1Mb unformatted) and not the later PC 1.2MB drives. That is unless you modify the PC drives to run at 300 RPM. I went through this with a Ampro Little Board Z-80 system recently. There's some NOS Teac FD55 drives being offered on eBay if the price isn't a problem.
                            Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Comment

Originally posted by daver2 View Post
                              A Cromemco Z-2D (the big black box). I am still looking for a System-3 though (with the 8” disks).

Dave
                              A shame you're on the wrong side of the big pond; I've got a CS-3 (type II) that I'd love to get rid of and will quite possibly scrap

Comment

Working...
                              X