Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

ADC Super 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADC Super 6

My ADC Super 6 works great with the S-100 Computer Group's IDE/CF card as a "hard drive". Sixteen 8 MB "drives". One thing bothers me: I can't reset the Super 6. I've chased reset* around on the board, and it seems to go to all the places I'd expect (CPU, peripheral chips, etc.), but it won't reset the system. I have to power cycle it to do so. Any Super 6 users out there? If I had to guess, I'd say that there's a flip-flop on the card that only gets reset with a power cycle, but who knows?? Any hints greatly appreciated.

Roger

I just went thru the same symptom a few months ago. It ended up being capacitor C10. Change C4 and C10. They are both RC timers for reset. I think one is power on and the other is button.
    Mine sometimes wouldn't boot at power up and not respond to reset button. Changing both those fixed it all. C10 is circled on the board photo.

reset 2.PNG
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks!!! Can't wait to try this out. If this works, I owe you big time. I never would have found this on my own.

BTW, just to be rigorously correct: It is C9 and C10, not C4 and C10 (I agree -- it looks like a '4' on the schematic). The BOM with my documentation shows C9 and C10. C4 is a .1uf bypass cap on a 74LS04. I want to be sure that the info. is correct in case another ADC Super 6 user stumbles across this thread!

Roger

Comment

Yes you're correct, C9. I looked at my card and it's the cap right above C10. My photo was before I replaced C9. The schematic is horrible quality
        I have a vacuum station and still had a hard time getting those caps out so only changed those two - C9 and C10. I remember mistaking that cap
        the first time around for a C4. I had the card up on an extender and measured the voltage on C10 and instead of ramping up to 5V at power on it just
        floated around at 2 to 3V so it was leaky, same for C9. I know techs say replace ALL caps but there's a hell of alot of them on this board and the
        two slaves I'm running. It's been running great all summer. Here's a youtube of it running it's current configuration.

https://youtu.be/hU10bZ3igVM

Larry G

Comment

Hi Larry -- no joy! I replaced both C9 and C10 with brand new 4.7 uf tantalum caps. No change. System doesn't produce a monitor prompt at initial power on, but a power cycle at that point will get the monitor prompt. Everything seems normal from there, but if I ever have the need to press the reset switch, I get a hang. A power cycle will get the monitor prompt back. I checked reset at the Z80 and the SIO/DART and it goes low at both places with a press of the reset switch.

The old caps. both show ~4.7 uf with my DMM. Upon closer inspection, it appears that somebody had messed with those two caps. before. Evidence of resolder on the board.

Neat video of your system! I only have the CPU board (no slave gear), so something like that is out of my reach!

Roger

Comment

I was looking over my Facebook post about C10 and the polarity marked on the board is reverse !! I caught it before I installed the cap. I don't know if that makes a difference but
            it might. My symptom was exactly like yours. Here is the FB post
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/1302.../search/?q=c10

Larry

Comment

I reversed C10, but nothing changed. I was hoping to fix this, but I guess I'm stuck with power cycling the box.

Roger

Comment

I pulled both C9 and C10 and spent some time probing the connections around the two of them. It seems to me that the silk screen is reversed for *both* of them! I'm not good at reading schematics, so I could be very wrong. On the schematic, it seems to me that the positive leg of both are facing each other? With that assumption, it seems to me that the positive symbol on the silk screen for both is reversed, and the positive legs should be toward the bottom of the board, not the top. Anyway, I soldered them in again in that orientation, and there is no change. So .... is it possible that one of the ICs around them, U14, U15, or U4, could have been damaged by the wrong polarity? Or maybe CR01??

Mystified.

Roger

Comment

yes the positive legs are facing each other. putting it in backwards wouldn't have damaged any chips since there are 27K resistors to the 5V line.
                  One thought, what are you using for a terminal ? Some terminals can be set to capture the reset to a local key.

Larry G

Comment

True -- no obvious damage to the nearby chips. I replaced them with new, and nothing changed. I'm using a Wyse terminal at 19.2k, but not using it for reset. I have a dedicated reset switch. It is functioning properly. I can see the reset working on the IDE/CF card, and as I said, I chased reset* around on the Super 6, and it is going low at the CPU and CTC with a switch press.

Comment

Still thinking out loud. Does the IDE/CF card have it's own boot rom? Manual reset will re-enable the boot rom on the ADC Master. Maybe there's a conflict.

Larry G

Comment

>> Does the IDE/CF card have it's own boot rom?

No, actually the IDE/CF card looks like an 8255 on the S-100 bus. I have a 2732 EPROM in the Super 6 that has some code @ F800 that starts up the IDE/CF card.

Roger

Comment

To eliminate the possibility of any sort of off-board conflict, I pulled all boards out of the backplane except the Super 6. No change in reset* behavior.

Here is a photo of my Super 6, in case it has been mis-jumpered?

sup6.jpg

Comment

There's a shit ton of jumpers and I'm checking mine vs yours. I'll look for more but I see your console is set to 19200 and mine is 9600. Also I'm running 4MHz cpu and dma, yours are both
                            6MHz. I recall having issues with lockup at 6MHz

Comment

Yes, I'm running it at 19.2k. Seems to work OK.

I think I saw something, somewhere, about DMA not working well at the higher clock. I'm not doing anything with DMA (or the FDC) at the moment.

I'm trying to understand what the difference is between reset* and power cycling the box. Maybe POC* is not being asserted with a reset? Should it be? Something I need to check. I am just guessing that something on the board retains its configuration when the power to it is maintained, but a power cycle resets and clears things?

Roger

Comment

Working...
                              X