• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vector vs. Micropolis disk controllers

billdeg

Technician
Any have experience with Vector Graphic disk controllers and Micropolis drives? It seems like Micropolis used OEM controllers made by Vector Graphic.

Last edited:
Any have experience with Vector Graphics disk controllers and Micropolis drives? It seems like Micropolis used OEM controllers made by Vector Graphics.
---------
I assume you mean Vector Graphic?

Yes, there are at least two of us here who have experience with those; what's your question?

Actually, it's more likely that VG used controllers made by Micropolis; there's at least one ex-employee from Vector on the Vector mail list if you really need to know.

m

S-100

I am working on a project with Micropolis drives, trying to piece together a working drive. I know all about the different kinds of Micropolis S-100 era drives, the model/density differences, etc.

I would like to know if anyone here has specific experience interchanging Vector Graphic disk drive controllers with Micropolis drive controllers using the same drive (and which model)? 1023? 1052/3, etc?

There was (?) a period when "Micropolis" controllers were OEM's of Vector Graphic cards, but it's not that simple to simply interchange them. The manuals are vague exactly what models are involved. There's more on this whole subject on retrotechnology.com.

I don't want to mislabel a working drive as non-working just because I have the wrong controller. I have both Vector Graphic and Micropolis controllers, but only Micropolis drives.

I guess I am asking for someone to answer to the effect: "I have a xyz model Micropolis disk drive and a 123 model VG controller in my s-100 computer" OR "I tried this or that combination and it did not work"

PM lynchaj; he has both of each; I only have the Micropolis FDDs & FDCs.

AFAIK the Vector FDC uses Tandon drives, and the Micropolis FDC uses Micropolis; there are some minor differences, especially in the interface pinout.

Also the Micropolis FDC contained boot code, which was in the main monitor ROM when the Tandon controller was used.

m

Last edited:
PM lynchaj; he has both of each; I only have the Micropolis FDDs & FDCs.

AFAIK the Vector FDC uses Tandon drives, and the Micropolis FDC uses Micropolis; there are some minor differences, especially in the interface pinout.

Also the Micropolis FDC contained boot code, which was in the main monitor ROM when the Tandon controller was used.

m

Hi Bill, Mike! Sorry, I have been watching this thread but didn't say anything since all I have is the integrated FD/HD controller and Tandon drives. I have no Micropolis drives or FDCs (relabeled VG or otherwise).

What I know won't be of much use to Bill. My suggestion is to join the VG mailing list and post there. There are several VG owners there with the Micropolis drives and FDCs.

Sorry, I wish I could help more!

Andrew Lynch

PS, Mike if you ever want to sell off your VG stuff please let me know. I've been working other projects for a while now but the VG is still on the bench.

Hi Andrew, and Happy New Year!

Well, it's been a while but for some reason I thought you had Micropolis FDC/FDD sets as well. I also don't remember: did the Panasonic drive(s) finally work 100% (including booting) with your controller?

And whatever happened with that diskette hard-sector emulator that you and Chuck were working on?

Sure, I'm always looking to get rid of stuff; I was kinda hoping to get some "real" money out of some of it, but let's talk...

Been sorta following that Z80 SBC project of yours; great job getting that off the ground and flying, too many of those projects never get very far...

See ya off-list,

m

Hi Andrew, and Happy New Year!

Well, it's been a while but for some reason I thought you had Micropolis FDC/FDD sets as well. I also don't remember: did the Panasonic drive(s) finally work 100% (including booting) with your controller?

Hi Mike! Yes, the Panasonic drives work 100% including booting on the integrated FD/HD controller. I use those almost exclusively since they are relatively new and reliable units. They require their own disks due to incompatibilities of 96tpi vs 100tpi but other than that they are bulletproof units.

And whatever happened with that diskette hard-sector emulator that you and Chuck were working on?

That project is/was mostly Chuck's 8 pin PIC development and I was just a helper. He wrote and developed the entire thing as part of a valid /READY signal project he was already working on. All I did was some testing on an actual NS Horizon to try and debug the system. However, the issues associated with the timing turned out to be more complicated than I think anyone anticipated and the project just went fallow.

I believe the concept is sound but it will probably require that rare combination of someone with the skills to implement (Chuck) the hardware (me) and the burning desire to make this work. The project is not dead but certainly inactive. Maybe Chuck would like to give it another shot someday but I am buried right now.

Sure, I'm always looking to get rid of stuff; I was kinda hoping to get some "real" money out of some of it, but let's talk...

Been sorta following that Z80 SBC project of yours; great job getting that off the ground and flying, too many of those projects never get very far...

See ya off-list,

m

Thanks Mike! The N8VEM project has always been a quite a bit of work but it has also been very fun. There are so many builders now with working systems and projects are flying about faster than I can keep track. That is goodness and I am thankful for that.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Back