• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for manual/schematics for S-100 card, Microangelo MA520

This is monochrome with a 512x480 resolution. But there is also a dedicated Z80B processor on board to handle all of the graphing operations--which eliminates the software overhead from the main processor. They would get color by combining several of these in a system with their Palette card which linked the cards together with a ribbon cable between them. From this, they could get up to 16.8 million colors with 8 cards at 512x480. All of this was done in 1979, with the MA512 card. The MA520 card version was an upgrade which added a full 64KB of video memory, up from the original 32KB and also a bigger ROM library in the onboard eproms.

I think by the time CGA video cards became more popular, the company SCION faded away as I don't see anymore Ad's for this S-100 card after 1983. Even though CGA could output up to 640x200, it was too monochrome at this hires mode. you had to keep it at 320x200 to get the most colors, 16 in all. And it didn't contain any dedicated processor yet.

I'm not sure if there was ever another S-100 graphics card after the Microangelo was discontinued.

=Dan

Back