Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

MFM controller for S-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RickNel View Post
    To clarify - my last post was asking whether it could be possible to craft a driver that would directly address an ST506 drive (eg my NEC D3142) connected via the parallel port on a S-100 system.

MikeS suggested the port could be used that way, in context of a bridging card. If I wanted a season in Hell, I could think about trying to bridge my ISA controller to the S-100 bus
    Actually, it wouldn't be that bad. One of the tricks that has long been used by the microcontroller hobbyists is using an ISA NIC connected to a microcontroller such as an ATMega128.

You'd want to use a 16-bit (AT Style) MFM controller as those generally don't use DMA for data transfers (which would be a bother). All of the control and status registers in an AT controller are 8 bit; only the data path is 16 bit. If you didn't mind tossing half of each 512-byte sector out the window, it'd be pretty simple. It'd actually be harder to interface to the floppy part of a MFM HD-floppy controller.

Heck, if someone can make a USB-to-ISA adapter, S100-to-ISA should be easy.
    Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

OK - thanks. You've given me a reason to look harder for documentation on the Wang ISA controller (ISA on 386 AT-like motherboard but not PC-compatible - zero documentation so far).

The sector size issue - perhaps could be handled by buffering in RAM, the way CP/M systems commonly buffer 2 x 128b CP/M records for read-write to 256b FDD sectors?

I still haven't been told that an all-software solution is not possible as well.

Not rushing at this... it's waited 20yrs so far so can wait a while longer.

Comment

I still haven't been told that an all-software solution is not possible as well..
        Well, no, for an MFM drive, you have to be able to service a raw bitstream at 5MHz , which is way faster than any of the "vintage" machines will go. And that raw bitstream uses differential signaling.

On the other hand, interfacing an IDE drive to a pair of parallel ports might well be possible on an S100 system without much other than some cabling and a suitable power supply for the drive.

Comment

Right - that settles it then, those bitstream specs mean there's no hope of avoiding a hardware controller on a system chugging along on 4MHz CPU!

Looking at the Wang controller board , I see a WD11C00C-JU controller chip (same as used on IBM AT-5150 I believe), and three crystals at 16MHz, 10MHz and 9.6MHz.

Google hasn't heard of this controller card: HFA-100.W2 P/N 96-0000-1080-2. Any suggestions on suitable docs repository? Docs for a similar card for IBM AT-5150 might help somewhat.

Comment

Google hasn't heard of this controller card: HFA-100.W2 P/N 96-0000-1080-2. Any suggestions on suitable docs repository? Docs for a similar card for IBM AT-5150 might help somewhat.
            A photo might help--often these things followed a generic design.

Comment

hdc mfm

Hi all;
              I have an s-100 hdc controller that was built especially for miniscribe, I have No information it, it has plenty of extra ic's more than the average controller for a hard disk controller.
              Thank YOu Marty

Comment

DTC made S100 SASI adapters, I used them to interface to Xebec 1410's. I still have the DTC manuals and BIOS and utilities source code, don't think I have the SASI S100 schematic though. However, SASI is quite simple, a subset of SCSI.

This link seems to be a good starting point? Lists many controllers, and even art work for a host adapter.

Gerrit

Comment

Old thread. Got it.

i just got a s-100 disk controller for a Corvus Systems hard drive. Photos are here
                  I'm looking for a serial to MFM controller. Anyone know of such a device? I figured a serial connection would be the most universal, and wouldn't limit to just one retro system.

Comment

Originally posted by fibrewire View Post
                    Old thread. Got it.

i just got a s-100 disk controller for a Corvus Systems hard drive. Photos are here
                    I'm looking for a serial to MFM controller. Anyone know of such a device? I figured a serial connection would be the most universal, and wouldn't limit to just one retro system.
                    Not sure what you're asking here; you ask what that controller's for? Not to be a smart ass, but presumably to interface a Corvus hard disk to an S-100 system like the Zenith that you mention...

As to the "serial" connection, far from being "universal" I can't think of *any* retro system off-hand that could use a serially-connected MFM drive without some serious driver writing except perhaps the Corvus drives, but they're hardly any "standard" serial interface...

Comment

I typed out a lengthy explanation, but accidentally clicked the back button on my Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 7000. Probably the better half of 30 minutes was spent creating my reply. I will answer your question shortly, as i need to take a brisk walk to the coffee machine.

Comment

Originally posted by fibrewire View Post
                        I typed out a lengthy explanation, but accidentally clicked the back button on my Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 7000. Probably the better half of 30 minutes was spent creating my reply. I will answer your question shortly, as i need to take a brisk walk to the coffee machine.
                        Been there, done that, T-shirt hanging in the closet, and feel your pain; hope there's something in your bottom desk drawer to fortify the coffee a bit

Comment

Is there a shortage of MFM controllers for the ISA bus? Since most of the (16-bit) ones, use PIO for data transfer (not DMA), might it not be more interesting to simply make an S-100-to-ISA adapter? You then get the entire range of ISA peripherals at your fingertips. Just write the drivers...

Comment

I am exploring a ST-506 to some standard interface. Then from the standard interface to your choice of retro computer interface.

Apparently the MFM to SASI interface already exists. This whole idea spawned from having a Corvus Systems hard disk with no interface to any computer. I just purchased a S-100 corvus interface, but I am waiting to see if it's works. I would really like a Corvus SYstems hard disk to Atari interface, but that seemed next to impossible. A guy from AtariAge said he could help, so I am gonna wait for now. What would really be cool is a SASI to USB interface. Then we could access all the rare data stored all over ebay. Hell, I would have a field day buying old drives on the cheap and seeing whats on them.

There are easier solutions i'm sure, but learning how ST-506 works would be a cool way to cut my teeth on electronics design.

Comment

MikeS: You had mentioned that SASI is little more than a parallel port. Is there any information you can point the way to how SASI works? I would really like to see a SASI to Atari SIO or SASI to S-100.

Comment

Hi! I'd be willing to help make a PCB for a S-100 to ISA board assuming someone can send me a schematic. I believe this would be a lot more than just connecting the address and data busses. There would need to be some kind of signal translation for the control signals between the S-100 and ISA busses.

I am pretty swamped at the moment with other S-100 and ECB related projects so this would have to be a community effort along the lines of the boards John Monahan and I have made. The group approach has worked well for our boards, the S-100 68K CPU board, and a variety of other projects. Also working with Rich on a S-100 6502 CPU board.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Comment

Working...
                                X