Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Looking for used electronic equiptment in San Francisco area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for used electronic equiptment in San Francisco area

I live in the San Francisco bay area. I was wondering if anybody else on this forum who lives around here knows of a "Used electronic stuff" shop where they have from time to time seen S-100 boards and/or boxes. There must be many around in some boxes somewhere considering this is where many were made 30+ years ago.

I would like to browse and would appreciate any suggestions (name, stree, town or web site).

Weird Stuff Warehouse occasionally gets stuff in, but it's pretty rare these days. You'll need to talk to someone who can go in back to dig out interesting items. I've seen some older Compupro stuff there, got a Vector 1+ last year and several dumb terminals in prior years.
    The Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace
    The Vintage Computer

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
      They have a ton of things to browse through, but be careful that place can suck time from your day way to easily.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
      IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
      Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Comment

I go there about once a month or so and I never see anything all that old anymore. I've always suspected they got people filtering what comes in for the collectors stuff these days but, they probably always did. They may not get as much gear as they used to as well.

In all my years of going there I have never seen a s-100 system. I have never seen anything in the collectible category actually. I occasionally have gotten nice older Sun things because I suspect they had no idea what they were. Same with DEC and others along that line. I've done ok by them but, someone is getting the good stuff before anyone else gets a chance. It doesn't get put out for sale. Maybe Erik knows where it goes.

Out of all the surplus places that once lived down there Weird Stuff was always one of my least favorites. Higher prices and only the dregs make it onto the floor. Its unfortunate they are the last man standing. Only place worse was Action computer. They overcharged for everything. They aren't really a surplus place anymore but, are still around if in name only.

Oh to have RA Electronics on De La Cruz or Quinn's out by the Oakland airport back . Long gone unfortunately. Those were real surplus shops. Weird Stuff and Halted were always my last choice when finding it anywhere else failed. Used to be one across from Fry's when it was right off Lawrence at 101 that I forget. That one was great too. Its a furniture store now. Anyone remember the name ?

Comment

Excess used to be down the street from the Fry's in San Jose. They moved to S. Milpitas Blvd in Milpitas.

There are a bunch of those old surplus electronic shops around Sunnyvale/Santa Clara/San Jose. One of them even has lots of old Atari parts... but I didn't see any S100 stuff at any of the ones I visited when in the bay area last month.

I *did* however find a lot of old, rare PROMs, EPROMs, and NVRAM chips.

Comment

This was in Sunnyvale. Back when Fry's was on Kern Ave in the chip themed building. Right across the street was a surplus place. I;ve been trying to remember the name for years. There was a guy that always sold the best Polish Sausages out in front of Fry's there too. Those were great.

What are the other surplus places besides Weirdstuff, Action, and Halted down there still ?

Comment

Like I mentioned: Excess Solutions in Milpitas.

There are a couple of others I visited last month:

Anchor Electronics: San Jose
              Halted
              Weirdstuff (Open on Sunday!!!)
              Advanced Component Electronics

You have to dig for deals at ACE and Excess but it can be worth it.

Excess had 16 pin dual wipe sockets price a .05 each so I bought 10 tubes. I also bought some parts cabinets just to get the chips inside. I got a lot of old, hard to find chips then left them the parts cabinets to resell. No sense in trying to get those on an airplane home.

Anchor had great prices on old PROMs and I bought as many as I could while there. I also cleaned them out of new old stock NVRAMs (ER-2055) for old Atari arcade games. They had bags of NOS Amp dual wipe sockets in 14, 24, and 28 pins for $1.00 a bag. I bought all I could get since there were between 10 to 30 in a bag.

Weirdstuff is Wierdstuff and pricey on a lot of things but I did pick up a lot of old video and other PC cards to strip for chips that I needed. You have to dig for things there. Be prepared to spend a LOT of time.

Halted was premium pricing on used test gear but I did find some great values on chips and sockets while there. You have to look in the side room where the bulk deals are like 40 pin sockets for $1.00 a tube (12)

While there I bought Halted out of 18 pin dual wipe sockets. They had them priced at 21 for $1.

Excess had 16 pin dual wipe sockets price a .05 each so I bought 10 tubes.

Anchor had great prices on old PROMs and I bought as many as I could while there. I also cleaned them out of new old stock NVRAMs (ER-2055) for old Atari arcade games. They had bags of NOS Amp dual wipe sockets in 14, 24, and 28 pins for $1.00 a bag. I bought all I could get since there were between 10 to 30 in a bag. It's a small store so looking around won't take much time.

ACE has a LARGE amount of EPROMs. I bought them out of 2532 and most of their 1702 EPROMs. I bought a lot but couldn't make a dent in their 2708 stocks and they have most other EPROMs until you get past 8Mb then they drop off. I also bought them out of their 40 pin IDP connectors. Those are the crimp on connectors that plug into 40 pin DIP sockets. You need them to make new cables for Ms. Pac Man CPU daughter boards.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time at ACE. They have a lot of chips for sale. If you don't see what you want, ask. They keep the more expensive items in a private stock room.

I think I'm good for the short term on PROMs and NVRAMs and for the long term on sockets.

Comment

Hi
                Who had the best prices on 27C512s I need about 8 of these.
                Dwight

Comment

I'm actually after whole machines and boards rather then components. Halted sometimes has interesting stuff on their 'junk' shelves. Picked up a working vt420 with keyboard for $20 but, most of the time they want to much for stuff.

Do ACE or Anchor have systems ?

What I really would love to find is a place like RA Electronics was. Big fenced yard full of everything from mainframes to the occasional piece of a rocket.

Quinn's had lots of whole units too. Bought a whole Sun 3/260 from there once for $30 I think.

Weird Stuff still does but, they want a fortune for it and always have.

Comment

Where have Quinn's relocated to. I went to their old spot where Godbout was years ago, its a Chinise furnature store now!

Comment

Quinn's is no more.

http://bluefeathertech.com/technoid/...smemorial.html

Comment

For components, I'm ordering from overseas more and more.

Futurlec sells 120nsec 27C512s for $2.25 the each new. That's a pretty good price--I'm not saying that you couldn't beat it with some looking, but it wouldn't be easy.
                        Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Last time I ordered from them it took 6 weeks... urg.

Comment

Originally posted by channelmaniac View Post
                            Last time I ordered from them it took 6 weeks... urg.
                            Hmmm, I've never had to wait more than 2 weeks, myself. Wonder why the variation?
                            Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Not sure... it was frustrating!

At least they had the parts I was wanting to purchase... They were some hard to find NVRAM chips, but the time was a killer.
                              Last edited by channelmaniac; August 11, 2009, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X