• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Reading and Transferring Serially

Marty

Veteran Member
Hi All;
I have sort of gotten my Advanced Digital Corp. , systyem going again, with TurBoDos 1.40, I am able to read my Single Density Floppies, and so Would like to transfer the files to my PC. I saw in an Article by Richard Cini that Dave Dunfield has something to do the Job... Will this Work with Turbodos ??? I have a Whole bunch of Turbodos 8" Floppies versions 1.16 to 1.50 , but have been Unable to boot Most of them . Right Now I have a Partially Good disk , it boots , but you have to tell it to ignore a track a couple of times before it comes up with its promp.... I have tried to Copy the Boot Track to another Turbodos 1.40 disk that won't boot at all . , but it still won't boot. the system has a Hard drive which Has many files, but it won't boot from that either. Does Someone have a system with Turbodos that can either tell me what to do before I loose my only remaining boot disk, or I can send them to someone to give them the proper boot track... THANK YOU Marty

Marty, don't know if this will help, but these days I pass CP/M source code back and forth to my PC/S-100 system to assemble/edit it etc (on the PC) a lot.

I took one of the CP/M modem programs and gutted it to two programs:
PCPUT.ASM & PCGET.ASM to quiclkly on (one line) send stuff back and forth using a 19200 Baud serial port. (I use Absolute Telnet by Ceiestial Software on the PC end). Works great.

Anyway I just posted the source code for the above at:-
http://www.s100computers.com/Software Index Page.htm

May be of use.

serially

serially

Hi All;
Thank You , Monahan. I have Lost the ability to boot from my ADC system. It was going when I used it, it gave error messages as booting up, but if I told it to ignore it, it would give me the disk prompt... So I am back to trying to get CPM up on my Altair. I have found by hand dis-assembly of the CCP for the Tarbell 56K System , and I have found that there is alot of code that Is different / added to it. It has a Sign-on, but No Ready Prompt. So, I have thought of taking out what doesn't match the dis-assembly of the Origional CCP, I have taken another Tarbel System (CPM8) that loads at 0000, changed its ports to match my System, but no sign-on at all. And it doesn't have the ready sign either.. It seems that it never gets to the BIOS after it jumps to the CCP.. it just goes into the weeds.. So it looks like the high address system (56K) might be where I need to go ?????
THANK YOU Marty

Marty not sure this will help since I have a versafloppy controller rather than the Tarbell FDC, but you will also find there a VF.Z80 diagnostic program. If you can somehow get code into your S-100 system from your PC (Even burn a ROM initially), you can reassemble/modify that program on your PC using the Z80/CPM3 simulator (also on the above site), and then use that program to really diagnose your disk access problem.
Good luck
John

serial

serial

Hi all;
I don't seem to have trouble with the Disk Controller, since I have loaded at 0100H , a format program made for the Tarbell Controller, it Writes and Reads and Verifys the Disk, so the Disk Controller is Working in Single Density mode, I don't know about Double Density mode... What I am having trouble with -- is the Program itself. (CPM) The CCP has things Added to it and things Missing from it. And Yet, It Partially Works, I get the Sign0n message, but not anything else... I am loading serially from the PC. So that is no problem... Also, this is an 8080 machine, not Z80. I have printed everything out that I can find on CPM... THANK YOU Marty

I was transferring some files last night using xmodem. Most terminal programs have xmodem. The hardest part is getting xmodem working on the CP/M end - for that you might need the source code, some sort of text editor and a compiler. But it sounds like you have some much more fundamental problems to solve first - like the unreliable disks. I can't help with that one as it is outside my area (but others here can). Once you get a reliable boot it would be usefult to see what you have on the disks - eg a text editor (wordstar/vedit), and compilers like M80 or L80.

serially

serially

Hi Dr. and All;
I have about 40 to 50 TurboDos Diskettes, with all sorts of programs and files on them.. I have versions 1.16 to 1.40 and some say ver 5 on them, I am not sure if it means 1.50 or some other variation... But untill I can get a Cpm system up and running, to read all of the Diskettes I have. That will have to wait.... THANK YOU Marty

Back