• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I have a Nortthstar Horizon I am trying to get running and need some help

TreborSnevets

I am trying to get a Monitor Running on the N* ZPB-A2. But I am having a problem with the responses of the 8251 on the Motherboard. I also am trying the N* CPU in my BYT-8 with an IMS SIO-2 as serial I/O and it does the same as does the Serial Port on the N* M?B
Has anyone succeed in using the PROM Option on the N* ZPB-A2????
Bob in Wisconsin

I have two Horizons, both working but I don't have the prom option. Does it boot properly without it? Can you dump the prom and send me the contents, I can try it here?

Kipp

So Far I don't have anything but the CPU working. I am using a Monitor that I got from Dave Dunfield which I have modified. It fails on the IN 3 when it is looking for keyboard Input. I also have a BYT-8 in which I have been able to run the N* CPU along with an IMS SIO-2 Serial card. I also have a SOL-20 System/Bus Probe which allows me to single step the N* CPU. I am in the process of adding a MOD to the Single Step circuit to Slow Step the CPU. When I run the Monitor Full Bore it ove runs the PC [Canon Innova Book 10C 486-33]. I am getting a few parts to build a 28 Pin JIG that will allow me to better access all the PINs of the 8251 of which I have 6 and have swapped all of them in & out with out changing the behavior of the PROM. I am also building an 8 Pin Jig to use for testing the 1488/1489's. I've also swapped them as well. One more thing I am going to do is Modify the Monitor Prom to use my N* HSIO four port card. I tested it and it works but the BAUD Rate has to be set programmatically.
my E-Mail is trebor77@execpc.com. Contact me and I can send you a copy of the Original Code. I also have two copies of the Original PROM. I could send one for you to try.
Bob in Wisconsin

Does anyone out there know where I might find a copy of the Schematics/Circuit Drawing/Diagrams for the IMS SIO-2 Serial Card. I have already downloaded two Manual/Documents for that card but they don't contain the Circuit Drawings.
TIA
Bob

My Northstars, both have the serial ports on the motherboard backplane. I do not use a seperate serial card. I have tested both of them with H89, H19 terminals and PC using terminal SW. Your's don't have this?

Back