• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A New Z80 Based WD2793 Floppy Disk Controller Board (FDC) for S-100 Bus systems

monahan_z

Experienced Member
For people that may be interested in building a new S-100 Floppy disk
controller (FDC) board that can be configured to work with most 8” and
5” (soft sectored) disks I have designed and built a new Z80 based
Western Digital 2793 FDC board. With Andrew’s help (3 prototype
boards later!) we now have a board that we are very happy with.

With its own independent Z80 on board, it is completely command driven
via 2 parallel ports (with strobe bits) to/from the S-100 bus. This
makes writing BIOS’es for any operating system very simple and easy.
For anybody that’s interested in obtaining a bare board we will be
ordering a batch real soon.

Please see here for a more complete description.

http://s100computers.com/My System Pages/ZFDC Board/ZFDC.htm

Hi! At long last these boards have finally arrived! Major kudos to John for sticking to it with this project. Anyone who has ever worked on a floppy drive controller project knows how incredibly frustrating these are to get right. After *3* prototype boards this one is looking fantastic. John has written test software and CP/M 3.0 CBIOS for the S-100 ZFDC board.

The PCB is very nice and the first batch of boards is going out quickly. I suspect based on the demand so far that we'll have to make another board order in the not too distant future. I'll need at least 20 boards from builders on the waiting list before I can do a reorder though so if you miss the first batch please sign up for the second. John has a nice description of the board on S100computers.com in the message above.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Hi! The S-100 ZFDC boards are really nice! They've also been very popular so we are going to do another PCB reorder fairly soon. Please sign up on the waiting list. Once the number of boards pending gets above 20 or so, I'll place the order. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Back